Notices

Something shifted today....

Old 09-14-2012, 02:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Something shifted today....

I spent the morning/early afternoon volunteering at a major drop-in centre for Melbourne's homeless community; i've been doing it a couple of days per week for the past 3 weeks and get a lot out of it, doesn't hurt that it also contributes to the hours of my student placement component

A service user approached me and he looked pretty distressed, so I asked how he was feeling;

"Not great, in a really bad headspace"

"Would you like to talk about what's happening for you?"

"I don't like doing that, I hate being a burden"

"OK. Well, i'm more than happy to take a seat and chat with you, having a perception of burden is pretty hard to deal with, but I can tell you from a little bit of my own experience, it's just that-a perception, as real as it may feel. What's your support network like?"

This went on for a little bit. A classmate of mine then approached this guy and asked if he wanted to chat.

"No, that's OK. She's the only person i've ever met who understands what i'm going through and how i'm feeling right now."

My jaw just about hit the floor. More than a couple of people have noticed that i'm changing, but i'd failed to see anything until today. When I was drinking, you couldn't trust me to look after a cactus, let alone with someone's intimate details about their mental illness diagnoses.

I don't carry an air of hostility, i'm more approachable, feel more comfortable in my own skin, I genuinely smile, possess and practice humility and gratitude and i'm not afraid to laugh or be accountable.

I'm starting to see that "it works if I work it" & that "void" is starting to fill.

I haven't had a drink for 105 days and i've never felt like this before

I've found a beautiful fellowship in AA

xx
Old 09-14-2012, 02:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Old 09-14-2012, 02:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

What a fantastic experience helping others like that must be for you - and what a great post Quinne - thanks!

D
Old 09-14-2012, 09:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know of your progress....

I really like to operate on the idea...."Each One...Reach One"
Old 09-14-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Awesome post, Quinne. How marvelous that you helped yourself, so that you could help someone else. You are an inspiration.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Galatians 5:13

Thank you so very much for sharing this post. I like the statement, "I'm not afraid to be accountable." I second, Nuway2fly; you're an inspiration.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
orangutan

Thanks for posting . Its a good feeling you get when you do something like that.