Notices

Just when things were going good

Old 09-12-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just when things were going good

Dang it.
I've been sober since August 8th...going to meetings, etc. Things have been looking up and I've been feeling a lot better.
Here's the deal:
On the night of August 7th...I got into a cussing/threatening match with a young man down at our local store...he is an employee. I was told the next day to stay off their property in the future. A cop came by and asked me to call him and give him my version...I did. I assumed it was all over.
The folks at the store didn't press any charges but the cop submitted a report and I recieved a summons in the mail today to show up in Justice court on Sept 21st for a charge of disorderly conduct.
I don't have a criminal record...not even a traffic ticket since 1981 but I'm scared as to what might happen.
I'm having a bonafide panic attack and can't sleep. I think that the worst that would happen is a fine but I don't know.
Anyone have any experience with disorderly conduct charges?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm too old to be going to jail.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had one and it was turned into an infraction.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi BruceJ

I'm not an American and I have no experience with this - but try not to worry.

I'm rather surprised something like what you've described has come to court, quite honestly...but if you get some lumps, take' em, and go on with your life.

I can't see jail time being an outcome tho

I wish you well and hope everything turns out for the best

D
Old 09-12-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

If the store and clerk received no damage, you shouldn't have any jail time. Hopefully just some court fees and a slap on the wrist, a good reminder to get and stay sober.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

and ps Bruce - things are still going good - don't forget that

D
Old 09-12-2012, 09:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You're not drinking so that's good. I don't think you'll see any jail time....You didn't hit him did you? Even if you did I doubt you're looking at time. I'll tell you one good thing in your favor....You've been going to AA since the day after it happened and haven't drank. No reason you can't ask a member there you know to write a letter saying that and bringing it to court with you. They like that. I'm sure you'll worry about it but don't over do it. Worrying won't change anything...Maybe this is what you needed.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

First offense? I wouldn't worry.

I do have one bit of advice: save the summons. If the court asks for it, tell them you lost it.

You quit drinking that night—that summons documents the end of active addiction. Pretty cool when you look at it that way.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Tell you the truth...If they didn't press any charges....I wouldn't be surprised if you showed up and were sent home. Whatever happens...Don't use it as an excuse to drink....Keep doing what you're doing!