Notices

Having Friends and Family Support You

Old 09-12-2012, 04:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Having Friends and Family Support You

If there is one thing I learned in my past few years it is helpful to have people in your life that support your decision to not drink. When I am around my wife I find the desire to drink is so far away, almost not there. When I am alone, all the demons come back to haunt me.

If you find that you are alone in your fight, find anyone for any reason really to help you feel grounded. Even if they don't know you have a drinking problem, just someone to spend time with that you can relate to. Maybe there is a hobby that the two of you share, do this hobby together and you will have a reason to avoid drinking.

Of course, it is helpful if the hobby doesn't require drinking

The last thing you want to do though is sit around at home by yourself with nothing better to do than drink.

Just sharing my experience but if you are struggling with staying sober and are alone a lot of the time finding someone to share time with may help.

Have a great sober day everyone.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I totally agree with your post . Even though I made a lot of mess, chaos and distruction when at the lowest point of my drinking my family an BF have stuck by me . 72 Days sober and the only time I want to cave is when I'm on my own with my own thoughts .
THANK YOU
Peaches
Old 09-12-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Sudz No More View Post
If you find that you are alone in your fight, find anyone for any reason really to help you feel grounded. Even if they don't know you have a drinking problem, just someone to spend time with that you can relate to.
Good point. Never underestimate the value of "connectedness" with another person for our well being. This forum is wonderful, but it can't replace a hug.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I totally agree with you.

The most wonderful thing, I'm finding, about sobriety is that I actually want to DO things now. Until I got sober, I thought that all my friends did was drink and activities that were followed up by drinking, but I was completely blind. It was me that chose to do that. What has been fantastic is calling friends and suggesting we actually go somewhere or see something, or just do something new. It's so much fun. Having those people around really is wonderful.

I have so much support regarding my decision to not drink. I was expecting far more 'but why don't you just drink tonight?' Or, 'come on, one won't hurt' but I think everyone knew far before me that I needed to give up alcohol entirely.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Galatians 5:13

I am someone who enjoys and values my alone time. It has even caused issues in my marriage. BUT, with that said, you must have people you're accountable to and who support your choice to be sober.

If you are taking your sobriety seriously, then you need to talk about your recovery and your feelings with people.

I don't have issue when alone, but if I did I would definitely make an adjustment.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

In the beginning of my recovery, I had no real sober friends around and I had ruined other relationships, including my family.

Being alone was comfortable. It took a lot (a whole lot) to get out (even to a grocery store) and get to a meeting (oh, the pain of knowing how isolated I had made me and my world), then the friendships slowly began to form.

Some of us are really good at isolating.....
Old 09-12-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for shareing on this....I agree...

That is why I continue to attend AA meetings tho I've
been a recovered alcoholic for 23+ years.

It gives me purpose and joy to watch others move forward
Old 09-12-2012, 10:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I chose to tell my family and a few close friends right away. This has helped hold me accountable. I especially got a lot of wisdom and guidance from my father, who will have 30 years sober next April.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I agree Suds. Sadly, I had family/friends who supported me drinking. Either by helping with food, rent or lawyer/legal fees.