Notices

Wife Doesn't Want Me To Quit

Old 09-11-2012, 04:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
fgo

Griffman, I agree with what everyone is saying. Quitting drinking can be just the beginning. I dont think there is a right or wrong way to get sober. I used AVRT to stop the drinking, now im using the tools i need to stay sober including steps in aa. If you want it bad enough you will have to put in the work, just like anything worthwhile in life.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:56 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Google and read AA's "The Doctors Opinion", "How It Works" and "The Promises of Alcoholics Anonymous". See if you can identify.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 09-11-2012, 09:28 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Yes! This. Amen.

Originally Posted by MrsKing View Post
You can accept that you're not going to feel wonderful, but that you're not going to take this out on other people, and you can choose to not let YOUR decision to be sober have a negative impact on your family's lives.

I bet your wife DOES want you to be sober (as you said she'd be happy for you to go to a rehab facility) but that she doesn't want you to be angry and irritable with her or your children.

You can be sober, and you CAN do it without arguments. It's all about taking control of our thoughts/behaviour and deciding how we will act. We are responsible for everything we do and say.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:19 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

To add to what many have said, I highly recommend AA. I've only been to three meetings but WOW has it been helpful. And I was definitely a skeptic. I feel an amazing sense of peace and calm every time I go. It could be worth a try. Good luck to you.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Oddly...
At my noon AA meeting a man earned his first year medallion
His wife came along ...furnished treats and shared....

"I got so sick of him trying to be sober I almost left
Then Al anon taught me how to deal with such matters
and when he began his AA Steps...it all worked out"

During my AA years...I've met all sorts of recovered alcoholics
from internationally famous ones to skid row people
Alcoholism plays no favorites and recovery does not either..

I certainly hope everyone finds their way into joy...

BTW The Salvation Army has various free programs from
short term de tox facilities to long term in patient.
They have been helping alcoholics for many years..certainly
are professionals by now...
Old 09-12-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

This is what popped into my head.

I think that finding a marital/family therapist who is well versed in recovery might really help you sort out how this will affect and benefit the family.

It may even be possible to find one that is faith friendly or faith based.

Communication, information on the process, a contract between the two of you as to how to handle things as they come up...her having someone trustworthy and informed to go to etc.

Since this affects the family, I think a family recovery plan might be the best option.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:56 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Great idea. And that is the most feasible option because I think her church offers free counseling. And the most spiritually gratifying as well since it is faith based. I am a Christian too, like she is. I have just been to ashamed and uncomfortable to go to church with her and my kids because of the drinking issue. I have had to swallow a lot of pride and self-reliance just to even sign up here. Thanks for the idea!
Old 09-12-2012, 10:29 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Griffman View Post
Great idea. And that is the most feasible option because I think her church offers free counseling. And the most spiritually gratifying as well since it is faith based. I am a Christian too, like she is. I have just been to ashamed and uncomfortable to go to church with her and my kids because of the drinking issue. I have had to swallow a lot of pride and self-reliance just to even sign up here. Thanks for the idea!
I still think swallowing a little more of that pride and going to an AA meeting would be great for you....Pray for the courage to do it....That's how I ended up there.