Notices

Just signed up, need i ideas about my drinking

Old 09-11-2012, 03:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just signed up, need i ideas about my drinking

Basically i used to drink a few beers once a week. Over the last 16 months i went from a few once a week to a few ever couple days, then i moved in to a house with freinds and people would takes beers i bought outta the fridge and drink them. at first i didnt care but when it came to the point of me getting off work and wanting that one corona i saved and it was gone i started buying liquor and keeping it in my bedroom.

Now a year later i find myself drinking one of those mid sized bottles of liquor in two days unless i work early the next day or go see my girlfriend. not because i feel i have too but more becuase I get bored. Granted i live with my best friends but i enjoy my personal time playing computer games too. But at the same time my girlfriend will call and her first question is always "are you drunk again?"

Honestly I hate it i just sit here at 6pm on a tuesday and my brain is like "eh why not?" so i go buy more
Old 09-11-2012, 04:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"why not?"

I think you know why not, if you're really honest with yourself.

Welcome to SR! This place is fantastic and I hope you find all that I found here - much encouragement and support.

You don't have to drink any more, if you don't want to.

Wishing you all the best.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Days20 View Post
Basically i used to drink a few beers once a week. Over the last 16 months i went from a few once a week to a few ever couple days, then i moved in to a house with freinds and people would takes beers i bought outta the fridge and drink them. at first i didnt care but when it came to the point of me getting off work and wanting that one corona i saved and it was gone i started buying liquor and keeping it in my bedroom.

Now a year later i find myself drinking one of those mid sized bottles of liquor in two days unless i work early the next day or go see my girlfriend. not because i feel i have too but more becuase I get bored. Granted i live with my best friends but i enjoy my personal time playing computer games too. But at the same time my girlfriend will call and her first question is always "are you drunk again?"

Honestly I hate it i just sit here at 6pm on a tuesday and my brain is like "eh why not?" so i go buy more

You will not all of a sudden one day start drinking less or obsess less about alcoHELL, its progressive it gets worse.

Stop right this second, you can do it.

Great forum and some great people on here who have helped me.

Good luck.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yea its just gone from a few a week too a few a day to how much liquor i can drink with out letting my roommates know im hammered. They all dring everyday too but im becomeing worse to where i get home from work sit in my room and just do shots til i black out
Old 09-11-2012, 04:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I use the program of AA...It works for a lot of people...It's free and it couldn't hurt you to try a couple meetings...Just listen...See if you can relate to it. Welcome to the site...See if you have a meeting near you.

Alcoholics Anonymous (A. A.) Meetings in Visalia, California
Old 09-11-2012, 04:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yea I actually have buddy who was going through the same thing and started AA and hasnt drank in about 60 days, I also have a great girl who doesnt drink either and has put up with my crap for 10 months. I just cant seem to get the mindset outta my head of "oh Im off tomorrow time to get a ton of whiskey!" outta my head. But honestly after being on this site the last hour im planning on calling my buddy tomorrow ans seeing if we can go to an AA meeting together tomorrow. Maybe having someone to go with dealing with the the same thing might help alot more than doing it alone
Old 09-11-2012, 04:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Days20, welcome to SR, I hope you stick around for a while because there is a lot of support here for you if you want to stop drinking.

The support you can find here is of different types. The most valuable support I got at first was just from the recognition that my story was no different than the army of people who had made the same posts as me. They had the same relationship with alcohol as I did, the same frustration and anger with myself and with the world, and the same increasing disappointment the world had with me. It felt good to know that I was nothing special and that if I wanted to, I could learn from what I read here.

There are other kinds of support for you, too, and that will be from folks telling you how they got sober and stayed that way. Some chose a spiritual path and got spirituality in their life, others did it by learning about themselves and their own internal abilities and strengths.

No one here has ever regretted getting sober and quitting the booze. No one here has been able to cut down and moderate or reduce their drinking. No one here has been able to stop drinking without an ironclad decision to stop drinking and to do whatever they needed to do to make it happen, that's just the way it works. Anything less than that will leave you right where you are, shut in your room alone with bigger and bigger bottles of cheaper and cheaper booze that never seem to have anything in them.

Keep posting and asking questions of us, Days20, and of yourself, too. You can get sober if you want to, and stay that way. Like MrsKing said, you can quit, you really can, if you want to. Are you ready to make a plan about continuing to drink?
Old 09-11-2012, 04:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Days20 View Post
Maybe having someone to go with dealing with the the same thing might help alot more than doing it alone
It's kept me sober for 14 months...Your friend has 60 days....Must be something right with it. I drank for 35 years and paid the price....You keep doing what you are doing...And it will get worse. Good luck to you...This site is great for online support.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I agree we are here to support anyone interested in finding their
way into a better sober future....Welcome to SR...

I've been shareing here for over 10 years and it's a great way to
enhance my local AA commitment...

I did ask a friend to go with me to my first meeting...and Yes!
I'm pleased you will be doing that too.

All my best as you move forward
Old 09-11-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Days, I feel for you. I felt exactly the same - "day off, time to get some wine!" and I bought cheaper and bigger bottles of the stuff. I'm amazed how much my body could take. Finally I started calling out to drink. My mom called in the middle of a binge and came over. She poured it all out and I went into withdrawal right on time 6 hours later and worsened overnight, ended up going to the hospital.

Yes I think I was just bored... It was okay for a while but had to end.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I told myself I drank because I was bored until I drank because I was addicted. We fool ourselves into believing many things to continue to drink. That is the nature of the beast. The bottom line is alcoholism is progressive and I drank because I'm an alcoholic.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good decision. Smart of you to recognize the progression. Even very much smarter of you to seek help such as AA. Most of us have to do that but it usually takes us longer to figure that out.
I admire your honesty and courage. Congratualtions.
Keep us posted.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I knew I was an aloholic for years, hell I even wrote songs about it, but i kept on drinking "cuz i was bored". I'm only on day 12 but I'm already starting to look back like "sh*t where have I been for 6 years?"