Notices

just realized

Old 09-10-2012, 07:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

just realized

I'm afraid to go to work this morning?! Lunchtime at work is the biggest trigger for me. My coworkers have been long time "drinking buddies". 4 years or so. I know "drinking buddies" are not friends. Hell they are coworkers. Not really anything I would call friends anyway. I've never been worried about going to work before when I tried to stop. WTH is going on in my head? I have a plan to "skip out" on them for lunch. Maybe I'm afraid the voice in my head will win? Yeah I think that's it, honestly.

Edit: Thursday was my last binge. Called in Friday. So today will be my first test. I guess that's what is so terrifying.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I found noon AA meetings that worked well for me...

I hope you figure something out that keeps your sobriety running.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You have to skip lunch with your pals. MUST, if you recognize that it is going to lead to drinking.

You mentioned in your first post that you were going to go to a lunchtime meeting. Stick to your plan!

You also said in your first post:

"I did try AA for a while, and it helped a lot. I think, though, that for me, it was more of a reminder to not drink than a therapy session."

Did you get a sponsor? Work the steps? Or just go to the meetings? There is more to AA than reminding ourselves not to drink.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I made it through the day! Only worked 4 1/2 hrs. but I made it! Didn't get to go to a meeting today, but will definitely go tomorrow. I got to work too late today to be able to get away for lunch. It's funny... The only way I ever got 40 hrs a week at work was to have an "executive lunch" and drink for 2 or 3 three hours a day.... on the clock. Strange what being totally clear will do for you!

doggone - I didn't ever get a sponsor or really work the steps. I found that just being there did wonders for me, and did very well until I didn't have the gas money to get there on my meetings days. A couple missed meetings and BOOM, back to drinking. I made about a month of meetings. I will definitely be skipping lunches with coworkers with whom I have a history of drinking.

CarolD - Noon meetings are DEFINITELY in my plan. Tuesday, Thursday, and one on Saturday and/or Sunday. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday lunches I have dedicated to lifting weights (fitness test coming up in a couple months for the Army PLUS I want to look sexy for the wife to go along with the new sober me). I will be returning to my noon meetings from my last attempt.

Thanks for the support, y'all. I really appreciate it.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

That is really a good plan....

My first AA home group was in D.C. and I went before work hours
they also met early on weekends.

I think it helped me deal with stressful work situations in a
calm way...just as the lunch AA break did later on.

All my best to you and your wife as you continue to move forward..

Thank you for your military service..."Some gave all ..all gave some"
Presently I have no family members on active duty
3 of them are members of the DAV
1 can no longer work...1 works for the VA and the 3rd. is
now useing his GI Bill.