Notices

Sponsors

Old 09-14-2012, 11:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

In the beginning I just wanted to find someone who I kind of respected and seemed to "have what I wanted," sounded like they worked the program etc., then I just told the guy I respected what he said when he shared etc., and asked him if he'd work the steps w/me. The person you pick doesn't have to be the only sponsor you ever have, we change as we progress and sometimes we become just mutual friends after a while and then we look for someone else and so on. I was willing to get someone to sponsor me then I prayed about it re: each of the sponsors I've had. "When the Student is Ready the Teacher Appears."
Old 09-14-2012, 12:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

temporary sponsor. What does this mean?

I was always told that a temporary sponsor is for temporary sobriety!?
Old 09-14-2012, 12:47 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bi11fish View Post
temporary sponsor. What does this mean?

I was always told that a temporary sponsor is for temporary sobriety!?
Not true...I asked an oldtimer speaker in the rehab I went to what I should look for in a sponsor....One of the things he said was look for a temporary sponsor....I wasn't sure what it was either. When I decided who I wanted to ask and approched him...He recommended I'll be your temporary sponsor so in case it doesn't work out there won't be any hard feelings that could jeopardize a future friendship.....Made sense to me. He's my friend and my sponsor to this day.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewHouse2012 View Post
Before I went to the meeting today my mind told me that the meetings may be a waste of time but something told me to get my tush in there.
Keep listening to whatever that Something is.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I have a different experience that I'll pass on for what its worth...

When I sobered up the 1st time back in 93, it was suggested to me to find someone whose sobriety that you admire and ask them to recommend a sponsor. The logic is that we, as alcoholics, might naturally find someone that we can manipulate (lie to).
I ended up with this old fart named Jim. We disagreed on almost everything...especially politics, religion, etc. and he saved my life. He wasn't my buddy or anyone that I'd ever care to associate with in any other circumstance but I'll be forever grateful for him. Someone that would have listened to my b.s. without calling me on it was not what I needed at the time.

Just food for thought.
All the best.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:36 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I grew up and initially got sober in Fl., then I eventually moved to where I am now, in Ct., future ex-wife had family up here, wanted badly to move here etc. I noticed up here some people have more than 1 sponsor, I'd never heard of that, maybe that's okay too, as long as you're not telling half the story to one and half to the other, not being completely honest kind of thing. I have to share I had the joy of taking my 20 year old daughter to her 1st A.A. meeting tonight(for her alcoholism). She lives w/her Mom but I see her regularly and her Mom and her herself called me today and said she wants to go to meetings and she thinks she's got a problem. I knew she did (sporadic drunken nights/smokes pot) but didn't know how bad, until after the meeting she told me she'd been drinking daily for the past few years. I hope she gets a foothold and finds some helpful ladies to work with her.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Sending prayers for your daughter.