Notices

Old 09-09-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello everyone! First, I would like to say thank you to the posters on this forum. You all have been an inspiration to me. It's nice to know I'm not the only one that has ever dealt with the issue of alcohol abuse. I have been drinking on the heavy side for approximately the past 15 years. From years 1-4, I was probably drinking a pint+ of bourbon (mixed with diet coke) about 3 days a week. From years 5-8, the frequency of my drinking increased to 4-5 times a week. Since 2006, I have drank a pint+ of bourbon 5-7 days a week. I never felt I 'had' to drink - I just enjoyed it. I like the taste and it makes you feel relaxed. I have always been very functional. Each day, I knew I had to quit drinking at a certain time and volume if I was going to be functional the next day. Rarely, if ever, was I not functional. In the back of my mind I knew I had to quit.

I tried moderating, but that never worked. As soon as I had one drink, it would lead to another and I would never break out of the pattern I had become accustomed to. I know drinking is taking a toll on my health. I've become paranoid in the sense that with every ailment I have, my first thought is that it was caused by my excessive alcohol intake. Within the past couple of years, I have developed psoriosis, gained weight, have wrist and ankle pain, have had one or two fungual infections, and it is not uncommon that I have a dullness where my liver is (not all the time). Hence, my health has become my motivation to quit.

I began this quest a few weeks back. Stayed sober for 11 days, then found a reason to have just one drink. Of course, that led to others (back to my pint+) and, next thing you know I was drinking 4 days in a row. Reality slapped me in the face and I realized I cannot ever drink any alcohol if I truely want to quit - which I do. I realize that I am truely powerless over alcohol, in the context that I know just one drink will lead to another. I have not had a drink since Labor Day (September 3).

I was hoping to have 30 days of sobriety under my belt before I make I doctors appointment to have a health assessment/checkup done, but I might go ahead and go this coming week. I know my doctor pretty well - it's going to be embarrasing to open up to him, but I know this is something I need to do to get healthy.

For what it is worth, I haven't experienced any 'detox' symptoms other than a very mild headache on about the 3rd day without alcohol. I've never had 'shakes', loss of appetite, or had a problem sleeping. Just this past week, I've been having a single nosebleed everyday. That could possibly be attributed to my wife running a de-humidifier in our house (dry air) and my taking ibuprofen (a blood thinner) for my ankle discomfort (which I have discontinued). Of course, my paranoia also says it could be related to alcohol withdrawls.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but that is my story for what it is worth. I am 100% committed to never drinking alcohol again and restoring my health to the best of my ability. I am confident I have the will power to make it happen. I am now fully aware of the negative consequences if I fail. And again, I thank you all for being here on this forum and encouraging people like me to get clean. God bless you all!
Old 09-09-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Zee

Hi there and welcome to SR
Its great that you have found us. This is without doubt the best place for support.
I am one of the unfortunates with liver disease, but with abstainance I'm back to a pretty normal life.
Try not to worry about anything until you have seen your doctor regarding anything health-wise.
I had a detox in hospital because I was pretty ill and don't really remember too much about any withdrawls. I would however be as honest as possible with your doctor... he won't be judgemental, he will be glad you are telling the truth. He will probably be the best person to tell you about your nosebleeds too.
Have you looked into any recovery methods? I don't use a particular one, but I dabble in all of them, they are all useful to me in their own way.
I wish you all the best. I'll see you around
Old 09-09-2012, 08:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and thanks for sharing your story. I'm glad you're here

I am 100% committed to never drinking alcohol again and restoring my health to the best of my ability. I am confident I have the will power to make it happen.
Yay! I'm so glad to see that. Those things you've mentioned there are just so important.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR, Lynn83!

You may want to post in the Newcomers Forum, more people seem to go there.

Glad you are here!
Old 09-09-2012, 09:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Lynn-this is a great site
Old 09-09-2012, 09:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Welcome, Lynne, and congratulations on your decision to get and stay sober. People have done this for millenia and continue to do it today, and I am happy to hear you have decided to join them.
You have realized the truth for yourself that you need to believe you can do something in order to do it, and you believe it. For what it's worth, I believe you can do it too.

Welcome to SR, Lynne, there is a lot of support for you here.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR Lynn83.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone!
Old 09-09-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum....

Thanks for joining our recovery community and shareing your story.
All my best as you continue your healthier sober life..
Old 09-09-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Sorry, *Lynn*.