Notices

New to quitting...

Old 09-09-2012, 03:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool New to quitting...

Hello, everyone, I just joined today. I am on my first AF day and boy it was a hard one.

I had started drinking over maybe the last five years, while going through depression and anxiety, first while getting master's degree and them graduating into a **** economy where I couldn't get a job. So I'm still working in the restaurant industry, which breeds alcoholism by its nature.

Over time, I was feeling more and more like I needed alcohol to function - to relieve the pain of last night's hangover. I'd have a small glass in the morning, trying to figure out what would be "just enough" to be mostly sober by the time the bus dropped me at work.

I tried to quit about three weeks ago with Ativan, while my mom stayed here for a week. As soon as she left, I figured "one drink would be okay" and fell right back off.

The next Sunday, I went to a friend's house and smoked pot, hoping it would calm me and let me eat. (I had been getting more calories from wine than food.) I ate, but in the morning I needed my buzz and snuck a glass from his fridge. I called out of work all week, and just drank, didn't eat.

Finally my mom called to check on me Friday morning, and I told her I was dying. I had already finished a couple bottles, and when she arrived, she pured out the rest.

I had my last drink at 4pm, and sure enough, within 6 hours I started shaking. It got worse and worse over the night, where I told her I might had tremors and might have seizures or even DTs, and she insisted it was just a panic attack. I saw maps on the wall that weren't there, which at least entertained me while I was up all night. By morning I was shaking so bad I couldn't stand, had to crawl the bathroom, and couldn't get water or juice in me because my hand shook too much to hold the glass. I finally told her to look up Delerium Tremens and convince her that it was time to go to the hospital.

We had to call an ambulance, since I couldn't walk. The paramedic told me mom that in cases like this, without access to benzos, one should give the patient a small amount of alcohol (this is true).

Fortunately, in the ambulance, he said that although I had the shakes, my vitals were good and I was unlikely to have a seizure. It took two rounds of Ativan and a Valium to get the shakes down to the point where I could walk out. The most important point was I was able to eat and drink all day today. There were some residual tremors when I left, but I came home and slept seven hours with the help of the valiums they sent me home with.

I expect few, if any, tremors tomorrow. At least I'm young, healthy, and athletic. I plan to sleep some more, do some light weights or yoga, then make a huge breakfast. I feel from looking at posts here that in just a couple days I will feel great. My workplace is a little annoyed but I have the papers from the hospital, so there's nothing they can do.

I'm looking forward to a new life...
Old 09-09-2012, 03:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

It does get better,
It's a bit of an emotional roller coaster, just remember how grotty the detox felt , you never have to go through that again ever

Glad you chose life over death, are you going to research AA, AVRT, SMART, Life ring or anything like that ?

Bestwishes, M
Old 09-09-2012, 03:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to SR. I'm so pleased you're here and glad that you sought professional help when it was needed. Good for you for getting through the first day.

There are many people here who have been where you are now and are willing to share their experiences and advice. You're in a great place - please post as much as you want. If you ever need any support going through this, we're here for you.

You can be sober, Amazon. Take care of yourself over the next few days and remember that it gets easier as time goes on. There are so many benefits to sobriety that you will feel in just a short while. It really is very much worth it.

Best wishes.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Sounds like a pretty rough time.

Have you thought about what support you can use to stay away from drinking? AA meetings? There are other resources too, just check out the forums on here. For me, AA saved my life. Those first few weeks, I loved listening to other people's stories as it brought a wave of relief over me that I was not alone.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Sounds like you are having a rough time of it. Getting the monkey off of our backs can be quite a "situation". Glad you are doing this while you are young. I waited till I was 50 and wonder just what the hell I was thinking those 30 years.
Like you say,you WILL be feeling better in a couple days. But thats when the next set of problems start. Demon alcohol will be tapping you on the shoulder saying,you really weren't that bad. Or just one little drink will make me feel even better. It gets very hard to not give in.
As others have said. Some sort of help will make this go a lot easier. AA helped me get (and stay) sober. Quitting was one of the hardest things I have ever done. But it's also one of the most worth while things I have ever done.
Don't ever give up.
Fred
Old 09-09-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hello, Amazon. So glad you are here. There's a lot of wisdom, hope, & encouragment in this place.

Thankfully, you kept your head enough to get help. I tried to detox by myself - after drinking for many years. I almost didn't make it - didn't realize the danger I was in. You never have to go back to that horrible nightmare life. You have everything to look forward to - and you'll be experiencing it all with eyes wide open.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Stopping abruptly CAN be lethal, which is why we should see a doctor or go to the ER for medical help.

NO ONE can predict a seizure or not or any other medical problem from happening.

Try AA for in person support. Those steps saved my life.

Welcome to SR! Glad you are here!
Old 09-09-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks all... I'm looking for a program that's an alternative to AA. Any ideas?
Old 09-09-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around Amazon- here's some links to some of the main players (including but not limited to AA):

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Also started having sweats last night - gross and stinky, but it feels good to know that alcohol is leaving the system
Old 09-09-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Rational Recovery, AVRT, SMART, SOS, Women for Sobriety, and LifeRing are a few non-AA programs available! All are online.

Check 'em out!
Old 09-09-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day 2 AF - a little doped up from lorazepams last night. Took some vitamins and a GABA supplement - ate a reasonable lunch. Seems to all depend on how much you can eat and sleep... I read the threads for those who had quit, and I was really encouraged to see that people who were sick and hallucinating on Day 2 were fine by Day 4. I'm supposed to be back at work on Wednesday (Day 5). That's about 60 hours to get my life back, which doesn't sound like a lot, but considering how much has changed in just 24 hours, I hope I can make it.

By the info I got online, I'm pretty much over the time frame for seizures, and tremors, which were mild today, should be pretty much done by tonight. I'm a little scared of the DTs but my pulse is normal.

Can anyone give me any information on whether or not the DTs are likely to strike? I read the GABA is probably the most important thing to prevent it. Took 4 today.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Amazon, today was day 3 for me after getting so drunk on an empty stomach i puked up bile for 16 hours. I just did the horribly stinky sweats yesterday, and today I had some headaches, fairly mild ones, thank goodness. My appetite has returned, thankfully with the ability to hold down food. I came here earlier today and sat around in the chat room. The folks here are very helpful and very encouraging. I'm glad to be here, and I hope you stick around too.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

We can't give medical advice ...and tho well meaning...what we
took or did not take for de toxing could be harmful for others.

Please check with your doctor about what is prescribed for you
and ask about how addictive they are...how long you are
to use them.
He/she might have info on the time period for DT's that would
ease your mind.....but you must be honest about your drinking habits.

Dr. Google is not a good resource when you are new to this.
Neither are paramedics. Obviously you were wise to get assistance.
Bless your Mom for coming over...tho she too had no expereince.

Drinking a lot of water is a good idea to flush out toxins.

I too hope you will be able to return to work as planned.
I could not keep my early fragile sobriety by doing restaurant
work....tho I loved the ambience..quick cash and odd hours.

I took an office position ...less stress...less money...no drinking
going on I hope you are keeping your eyes opened for something
in your career field....be a shame to get stuck where you are.

Welcome to our recovery community....
Old 09-10-2012, 03:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks Carol. I did get advice from the dr at the hospital - she said to watch my pulse, and if that goes too high, then go back to the ER. So far, it's stayed very much in the normal range, so I'm probably over thinking things. Too many warnings all over the web about how the DTs can sneak up suddenly. Perhaps this is more generalized anxiety about quitting drinking? Reading others' stories here really helped - I see people have survived much worse detox.

Also was very worried about the medical bills tonight - added to my credit card debt and student loans, this makes more than $50,000K, which exceeds my yearly income. I realized bankruptcy may be the way to go. So maybe it's not drinking at all that is worrying me.

Funny, but I have absolutely no craving for a drink.