Notices

Well Here I Am - Howdy Everyone

Old 09-08-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well Here I Am - Howdy Everyone

So.. where do I begin? I am a binge drinker. I have a milestone birthday coming soon, and I am afraid I will celebrate it alone if I cannot stop drinking. I did try AA for a while, and it helped a lot. I think, though, that for me, it was more of a reminder to not drink than a therapy session. It almost seems as though I need to be constantly reminded to not drink. As an example, this last period of not drinking (not going to call it "sobriety" because I am still sick) was about 45 days. The single biggest thing that helped, at least I think, was setting an alarm to go off every 2 hours to remind me not to drink. I know that sounds strange, but I was out of town for a couple weeks recently and had to remove the alarms (couldn't drink where I was). When I came back, it took 2 days, 2 DAYS, before I broke. And it wasn't really "breaking"... falling into the same behavior patterns? Don't get me wrong, I am starting AA again Monday during lunch at work (as this is my biggest "trigger" - lunch with coworkers). Does this seem reasonable to those of you who have made it? Can I do something more? I need a change desperately, for me, for my family.
Thank you all for being here, and for any advice you can give.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR cmason249....For myself....Working the 12 steps of AA was the solution...Done as laid out in the first 103 pages of the Big Book with a sponsor. Glad you are here.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

((cmason)) - Welcome to SR! I hope you read around other posts, as you will find you are NOT alone. My method in early recovery was when I thought of using, I'd tell myself "not an option..next" and "next" was a clue to distract myself. Sounds pretty simple but I had to tell myself that a LOT in the beginning. In time, I found myself at "next" without even realizing I'd had a craving.

I have to say, though, clinging close to SR and reading other posts has been a big part of my recovery. No matter what we use/drink, I've found helpful information in a lot of posts.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-08-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yea, that alarm thing is a little outside the norm, it would have made me kinda nuts early on.. but hey... whatever... it... takes...

There will come a time when you won't need the alarm. You can just "be" and enjoy your family.

Welcome to SR!!
Old 09-08-2012, 08:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I clung to SR for the first 6 months...posting and reading all the time. At 7 months I started going to AA. Its helped a lot and I feel very at home there.

I like the alarm idea..whatever it takes. I just tell myself that drinking is not an option, end of debate. Look into AVRT also to help calm the addictive voice in your head.

I also drank tons of hot tea.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

xa-speakers.org

Glad you are here!
Old 09-08-2012, 08:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The alarm bit has helped and I will be using it again. It's more about behavior modification than making me not drink. Really it's mostly a way to constantly remind myself of the dangers of that first drink and to make me feel that shame I feel the day after a binge. The place I'm at right now really sucks. I feel like I know what to do and how to do it, but still can't seem to get it done. I do great for a month, maybe 2, then end up puking up bile and sleeping in my car in a rediculous attempt to hide my problem from my kids. I've been reading around the forums and see that it can get better, but I have to say right now I feel pretty hopeless.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cmason249 View Post
but I have to say right now I feel pretty hopeless.
That's where I had to be to get busy.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouraging words y'all. I really like the AVRT. The whole idea behind it makes perfect sense to me. I WILL one day be an encouraging voice for others and end the shame I live with.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good luck to you...Put the work into it.....It's worth it!