Notices

Is music a trigger for anyone?

Old 09-15-2012, 07:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jay01 View Post
I nearly always have music playing low, even with the tv on - same when I was drinking. Everything seemed to trigger me from walking through the front door to even a shower which I always carried a few in with me..

I really identify with this...absolutely everything is triggering for me right now; merely breathing and I can link it to drinking. I look forward to when this is no longer the case, but realize I need to continue to resist for that to happen.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:08 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

There are a few specific albums and songs I can't listen to anymore. I don't listen to the radio either.

One of them is "Thirteenth Step" by A Perfect Circle.....it just seems to romanticise all the tragedy and ruin that comes with addiction It's a shame, because it's beautifully put together, but I don't want to listen to it & doubt I will ever again.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Question Re:Is music a trigger for anyone?

I find music relaxing, actually. I guess it depends on the individual, though. Maybe, if you had more time under your belt things might seem different. Who knows?

For instance, Carol said "I used to drink in jazz clubs" which can be an issue for some in recovery. If the venue was different, however, the option to drink may be as well. Others had similar concerns, like; different types of music or environmental issues, but either way they both can produce an urge to drink. However, there's always a logical alternative that seems to trump even the nonsensical; and that's the 'desire' to remain sober, even under extreme duress. But it must start and end with us period. Basically, anything that can come between us and sobriety will always be a concern, not just music. So my priority should always focus on one thing, regardless...sobriety. How that translates into your daily lives is totally up to you. Now back to my music...

Congrats on day 22...
Old 09-21-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by behindblueyes View Post
Hello all and thank you for putting up with my posts. Every time I am tempted to drink I come on here instead.

My biggest struggle in the 22 days I've had sober is that I used to sit here every single night and listen to an Ipod or play music videos while drinking. Nothing else compared to my two favorite things together, beer and music.

Now when I listen to music I want to drink so bad that I cry so I quit that. I can't even turn on the radio in the car or severe depression sets in. I'm afraid this will lead to relapse since guitar was one of my outlets and I've quit that too.

Music helped me deal with feelings and now it makes me want to relapse. Anyone else? Thanks
I used to do the exact same thing. I loved listening to my music and watching all the music video/live dvds and drink. They went together so well. Or I would have a few while playing guitar. This too, was the hardest thing to overcome. It will be 7 months in a week. It gets better, but is still hard at times. I'm lucky because I have a good friend who is sober that plays guitar. We are able to write songs and listen without having to be drunk to enjoy it.
What syle of music do you like? Best of luck to you!
Old 09-21-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Music, I am ok with. Certain movies cause me to think about drinking. To be honest many things can cause an urge for me.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:50 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Music >>> drinking

Funny, my son is a jazz musician, age 21...and has never had a drop of alcohol in his life.

Loves his salads, though!

Kelly
Old 09-21-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Music is definitely a trigger,e specially certain songs. Check out the "what's your song" thread. We are making a playlist of sorts of songs that can help in recovery.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:57 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

yea when i go to clubs music makes me think of ecstasy almost always
Old 09-22-2012, 07:06 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Yes music is a trigger. I stopped listening to my music for years in the beginning of sobriety. We need to change everything in the beginning. Now I can listen it doesn/t bother me.

Earthworm
Old 09-23-2012, 08:41 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Music was the biggest trigger for me - listening to music as well as composing my own music.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Oxygen was my biggest trigger. Once that one was handled I notice that I tend to have "flashbacks" to times at bars, concerts, jamming in the basement with buddies and drinking. Brings back some of the good memories of alcohol and what it did for me and can crowd out what my drinking did TO me and others.

Took me awhile to listen and enjoy it for what it was and to start playing and jamming again.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:31 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by behindblueyes View Post
One of my favorite bands came to town.. Within walking distance of my place. I kept telling myself you are 35 days sober don't go see this band because they are in a bar you will drink.

Then someone offered me free tickets. I sat here. People drunk texted me pictures of them with the band members which really set me off.. I want to scream at my friends because no one wants to do anything at all unless beer is involved.

I sat here alone because I knew that band would trigger drinking. I really hope this gets easier. My friends can drink then switch to water. Why can't I be normal? I drink until I'm falling over. Out of ten of us I seem to be the only one who can't stop at one. I have banned myself from all music, ipod, and car radio. Triggers.
You are smart, Blue Eyes.

If something could jeopardize my sobriety, I don't need it.

Music is a big part of my life and none of it makes me want to drink.

But early on, certain music (e.g. hard country and hard rock) played a head game with me and I couldn't listen to it without thinking stupid thoughts.

It was the same way with car races and football games.

I eventually ceased having drinking thoughts with respect to these outlets of relaxation and pleasure.

The reality is that all of my experiences with music, car racing and other sports involved my being drunk while participating in them (as a spectator), so, naturally, thinking of them, or participating in them, made me also think about the role they played in my drinking life.

But, eventually, I started having sober experiences associated with these activities.

When I think of car races and concerts now, I don't think about passing out and missing them. I think about the good races and shows I have been to sober.

Since I have been sober, I have been to many concerts (some of them in bars), football games, car races and other festive events that would have been challenging, and potentially dangerous, when I was early in my recovery.

You are smart to avoid triggers, amigo.

Thanks for bringing up this topic.