Notices

Sober Time Not A Big Deal....

Old 09-05-2012, 12:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillyknitting View Post
My husband is a London licensed taxi driver and works nights. Friday and Saturday nights he calls them animal nights because of the dreadful sights he encounters and peeps totally brain dead through drink. Society is totally and utterly alcohol sodden, it's much much worse than it used to be. Some of the behaviours of young women would make your hair curl. Even in so-called controlled drinking circles people are still addicted to their drug. It is the nations drug of choice, one could not possibly conceive for one nano second of having a "good time" without alcohol. It is at the end of every isle in the supermarket, it is perceived on television - even by upper classes and professionals - to drink wine at every possible occasion. A huge money making conglomerate that makes people believe it is "normal" to consume at every possible occasion and there's something peculiarly odd if you don't imbibe.
Fellow green badge, I know exactly what he's talking about
Old 09-05-2012, 12:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillyknitting View Post
My husband is a London licensed taxi driver and works nights. Friday and Saturday nights he calls them animal nights because of the dreadful sights he encounters and peeps totally brain dead through drink. Society is totally and utterly alcohol sodden, it's much much worse than it used to be. Some of the behaviours of young women would make your hair curl. Even in so-called controlled drinking circles people are still addicted to their drug. It is the nations drug of choice, one could not possibly conceive for one nano second of having a "good time" without alcohol. It is at the end of every isle in the supermarket, it is perceived on television - even by upper classes and professionals - to drink wine at every possible occasion. A huge money making conglomerate that makes people believe it is "normal" to consume at every possible occasion and there's something peculiarly odd if you don't imbibe.
Totally agree.I used to live in Essex and getting the train home from London was awful at night. that was some years ago now though. I look at what young people do now on a Sat night and fear for them, their safety,sanity and health. Veryscary-it is def worse than it used to be. As you say, professionals too-wine was always part of every work occasion for us
Old 09-05-2012, 01:06 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Kza

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
It is estimated that only 10% of people in the US who drink have a "alcohol problem". College students drink a lot but the overwhelming majority of students when they graduated go back to social drinking.
I saw a psychiatrist in my early twenties and referring to drinking, he said

'most people get away with it'.

It sticks in my mind because I think it about sums up the situation in the UK.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I wonder how many people slip up, have a beer or 2 and figure they screwed up anyhow so might as well go for broke and turn the thing into a major bender. I always used to do that, twisted logic I know but that was my thinking at the time. In that regard the day counting thing always worked against me. I wonder how common that still is or was I just terminally unique?
Old 09-05-2012, 05:37 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I want to be part of normal, working society yet feel like I will never fit in. I want a house, wife and a dog. But I am more comfortable in a psych ward, rehab or even jail than I am in functioning in the world.
You are part of normal working functioning society.......you're fitting right in and you're doing a fine job at it......but it doesn't feel like it because it's new to you. I mean really, didn't most of us (just shush, old-timers - haha) spend more of our lives outside of recovery than inside recovery? Of course it's going to feel odd, like we're not fitting in, like we're not changing fast enough, like we're not progressing fast enough.

Keep practicing it and it'll get better.....and better and better. Just like being in sports, we don't "feel natural" at first because what we're doing isn't natural to us, yet. We haven't done it before and we're not accustomed to it.....YET. The more we practice it and the more we work at it, the more natural it starts to feel - the more comfortable we get

Sure, it's going to feel like you're not part-of "normal society" because you're not accustomed to what feeling like you're part of normal society feel LIKE. Keep on goin Just.....stick with it.....it'll come. Promise!
Old 09-05-2012, 06:48 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
I wonder how many people slip up, have a beer or 2 and figure they screwed up anyhow so might as well go for broke and turn the thing into a major bender. I always used to do that, twisted logic I know but that was my thinking at the time. In that regard the day counting thing always worked against me. I wonder how common that still is or was I just terminally unique?
I relate to that. I use to think well I drank so I should make it a terrible bender & be out for 2-3days with non-stop drinking.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
I totally agree, the thought that you "already screwed up, so why not just go ahead and really go for it" has been a common backslide inner voice for me in the past. You aren't "terminally unique" in my opionion. I think once you slip, instead of giving yourself a break and getting back on the right track, people use it as an excuse to allow themselves to fall farther and shame themselves.

That's part of the reason I said in my earlier post that I hoped to get to a point of not counting. Not that I want to stop keeping track, but not to the point of an all consuming activity. It's to early for me at this point, I am still at the stage where I need to be conscience daily about the choice I've made to not drink. I just hope it gets to the point where it's not all consuming and more natural. I still know how long ago I stopped smoking, but I don't have to think about it daily. I'm just a non-smoker.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:40 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Another reason why I'm not impressed with peoples sobriety time is because they could lie. Especially on the internet but at meetings also. Heck, I once picked up a 90 day sobriety chip & was drunk at the meeting. No one really said anything at the meeting to me or asked me to leave so I gotta give those folks some credit. I guess they really did want me to keep coming back & not make a big messy incident out of it.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:20 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Another reason why I'm not impressed with peoples sobriety time is because they could lie. Especially on the internet but at meetings also. Heck, I once picked up a 90 day sobriety chip & was drunk at the meeting. No one really said anything at the meeting to me or asked me to leave so I gotta give those folks some credit. I guess they really did want me to keep coming back & not make a big messy incident out of it.
Maybe try not to let other peoples sobriety time (or not) bother you so much.maybe just concentrate on your own sobriety-if you don't want to count your time,that's fine.If you do,that's also fine.whatever works for each of us-no point getting annoyed at what others do or don't do
Old 09-05-2012, 09:34 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Justfor1, I'm sorry you're feeling like an outsider. But you have just begun this journey. In the last few weeks, I've been struck by some of your posts. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you have been doing a lot of thinking about personal responsibility and accountability. It's been pretty cool to hear about that. I think society needs more people who think about such things.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:53 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
instant

I have had to learn to cope and live well. I have been sober nearly 16 months. It is still new. I am learning it all takes time.

I think it is natural to stop counting, but my sober date is more important to me than my birthday- it was hard earnt