Notices

Relapsed on a binge..Help needed

Old 09-04-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapsed on a binge..Help needed

Ok, here is the story, friend came over last night with a case of brew.. 8:30 am I'm at store buying more beer.. God, help me, I don't understand why a few beers leads to this..
Old 09-04-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

don't buy the beer - go to an AA meeting instead
Old 09-04-2012, 07:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like you've been relapsing since the beginning of summer enjoy your drink for one more day (if you must) and then shut it down before it continues to steal your soul for the next year or two. Next time if a buddy shows up with a case of beer just say you're too tired or busy to hang out. I know its not fair to limit other people just because you have a problem, but you also have to look out for you and if that means only hanging out with your buddies say over coffee instead of pub fare, then it's in your best interest. It's your life or death not theirs. I know I can't be around people who drink, there is too much peer pressure and honestly I end up thinking that their opinion matters. If they say its okay for me to have a beer then I believe it to be true, even if I am practically dying inside.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

All ready bought the beer.. I just can't figure out why I can't be normal and drink a few with the guys without going on a bender..
Old 09-04-2012, 07:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by easyrider73 View Post
All ready bought the beer.. I just can't figure out why I can't be normal and drink a few with the guys without going on a bender..

Because some of us can't be and never will be, you've proven this to yourself. An entire year of sobriety and even that didn't solve the issue.. It's just not possible for some of us. And each relapse is likely to get worse and extend it's self for longer periods making it more and more difficult to stop each time. The sooner you can stop again, the better!
Old 09-04-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you already bought the beer give it away, and then go to a meeting. You have a choice right now that may not be available later.

I know I have another drunk in me, I just don't know and don't want to find out if I'll wake up the morning after.

I can't be normal and drink a few with the guys without going on a bender, because I'm not like them. I no longer have the ability (not sure if I ever had it) to stop at one or two drinks.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Time to tell your "friends" you aren't drinking any more and to stop coming by with the beer...that is, if you want to stop drinking.

It's in your hands.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Chapter 3

MORE ABOUT ALCOHOLISM

MOST OF us have been unwilling to admit we were real alcoholics. No person likes to think he is bodily and mentally different from his fellows. Therefore, it is not surprising that our drinking careers have been characterized by countless vain attempts to prove we could drink like other people. The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death.

We learned that we had to fully concede to our innermost selves that we were alcoholics. This is the first step in recovery. The delusion that we are like other people, or presently may be, has to be smashed.

We alcoholics are men and women who have lost the ability to control our drinking. We know that no real alcoholic ever recovers control. All of us felt at times that we were regaining control, but such intervals-usually brief-were inevitably followed by still less control, which led in time to pitiful and incomprehensible demoralization. We are convinced to a man that alcoholics of our type are in the grip of a progressive illness. Over any considerable period we get worse, never better.

We are like men who have lost their legs; they never grow new ones. Neither does there appear to be any kind of treatment which will make alcoholics of our kind like other men. We have tried every imaginable remedy. In some instances there has been brief recovery, followed always by a still worse relapse. Physicians who are familiar with alcoholism agree there is no such thing as making a normal drinker out of an alcoholic. Science may one day accomplish this, but it hasn't done so yet.

Despite all we can say, many who are real alcoholics are not going to believe they are in that class. By every form of self-deception and experimentation, they will try to prove themselves exceptions to the rule, therefore nonalcoholic. If anyone who is showing inability to control his drinking can do the right- about-face and drink like a gentleman, our hats are off to him. Heaven knows, we have tried hard enough and long enough to drink like other people!

You are in a tough spot, but if this bender gave you full knowledge of your condition it may have been worth it. If you are done for good, its time to take some action. The simplest plan of action for me was AA. Has worked wonders for me and millions of others, but we have to take the aciton necessary to get well. YOU can do it.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Go to AA and you'll find out.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 09-04-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

welp, ya got choices. you can spend yer time trying to figger out why you cant drink like a normal drinker and live in the insanity
or
you can accept you cant drink normally because you may be an alcoholic and get into the solution, which has a lot of peace and serenity.

i hope you choose the latter of the 2 choices.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sally1009

As an alcoholic, I know I can never just have a couple of drinks and stop. It ALWAYS leads to more. I'm not saying you are an alcoholic - only you can decide that - but if you are one you will never be able to just have a few beers.
The good news is that you can live a fulfilling and happy life staying sober.
Best of luck to you.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ok, here is the story, friend came over last night with a case of brew.. 8:30 am I'm at store buying more beer.. God, help me, I don't understand why a few beers leads to this..
Isn't this exactly what happened last time Easyrider...? A friend dropping round with beer? If I was you I would a) accept you can never just have a couple of beers and b) tell all your friends that you have quit, or get new friends.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

If you really want to “understand why a few beers leads to this” read the first 164 pages of this book -------> Click Assent

BTW, it has a solution to the problem there also.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I just can't figure out why I can't be normal and drink a few with the guys without going on a bender..
you don't need to figure it out ER...you need to accept it tho.

Until we do something different we keep doing the same things.

D
Old 09-05-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Same here pal, same here. It does really suck. Guess we just don't drink that first 1.
Good luck to you