Notices

Whats Up Im matt

Old 09-01-2012, 07:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Whats Up Im matt

Whats up everyone

So without cheating I am one month sober, and I hate It.

I should be more than that but I gave in a couple times.

Drinking urges have been less but my depression has been more, Why is that? i HATE feeling sad, its better than boosing but it sucks, when will I snap out of thissssssss... I keep thinking about my ex gf who is a saint

thanks guys

m
Old 09-01-2012, 07:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I feel bad for complaining , I just miss having someone . Even My dog in my photo... his name was rudy and he was the man
Old 09-01-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not sure, Im far from a mental health expert (in reality there is no such thing anyway).

The ex...well give it time. I had a GREAT girl that I found out, while I was in the middle of a deployment, had moved on. It was rough, but I got over it just as you can. We cant depend on others for true happiness anyway.

I miss my cats also. All we have is the future now.

I cant really over you much useful advice though Im afraid.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Congrats on your 30 days!

I tried watching funny movies to lift my spirits. It helped to laugh. There is scientific research to support the idea of laughter helping.

So try some goofy comedies, some popcorn and a bottle of water. (keeping a bottle of water with me at all times also helped)
Old 09-01-2012, 08:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go on 30 days man

I know when I stopped drinking a lot of new problems emerged that my drinking had been masking.

do you think it might be good to get some help?

Have you thought about seeing a Dr FF? you could at least see if there's a medical reason for your depression?

Finding more support might help too?

D
Old 09-01-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

30 days of continuous sobriety is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

You are truly a miracle! Keep moving forward!
Old 09-01-2012, 09:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you're feeling those absences. I know how that can be. I hope you take heart in what you've accomplished—that really is fantastic.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome Matt..

It took me several months for the depression to start lifting.. Meeting, prayer, Stepwork got me there..
Old 09-02-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Congrats on 30 days!! My emotions were very up and down...are you getting any f2f help or just SR?
Old 09-02-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

30 days of continious sobreity?
Good for you...
Old 09-03-2012, 09:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When we stop drinking the issues we were medicating with copious amounts of alcohol surface. But we also are messy when we stop drinking - our bodies are trying to heal. I stayed in bed for my first two months sober. I don't recommend that. What helped were AA meetings and tons of Netflix. I also found that talking to sober people REALLY helped. But I did feel better in a short amount of time. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Congrats on 30 days! That is NO small feat! Keep up the good work!
Old 09-03-2012, 09:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Matt,
I know what you mean. I like having someone too. But the truth is we are not capable of giving someone what they need in a relationship.
You can push past the depression. It is a side effect of drinking for so long.
Have you thought about seeing a therapist? I think it might help you.
It may take some time but eventually you will feel better, you will push passed this depression.
You should be very proud of yourself for staying sober as long as you have. Your life is so much better without drinking. Even if it doesn’t always feel like it.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Hi Matt,

I DO have diagnosed bipolar, and have been dealing with dibilitating depression on and off for decades. I am a recovering addict/binge drinker. I got clean and I wanted everything to be better. I wanted my pink cloud.

What I realized in early sobriety was that my deep core issue, the thing that I tried to hide with pills and booze was my lack of hope. That is one of the ways depression manifests for me. Numbness, and a terrifying lack of hope.

I had no idea how to get hope. I learned I can borrow it. For me, that meant spending time with people who'd done what I wanted to do. Get sober and live life well. I found hope by reading books and literature, by going to 12 step meetings, and by spending lots and lots of time here.

Knowing that my situation is not hopeless helped me (and continues to help me) get through the hairy times. And I have found out hope grows. If I keep feeding it, the seed of hope that was given me by someone who has gone ahead of me in recovery, grows and grows.

Baby steps.

I have been using affirmations, but I learned that waking up one day, looking at my haggard face in the mirror and my disheveled hair and saying "you're a beautiful human being" didn't cut it. I mean, I didn't believe that.

So...baby steps.

I start with planting hope.

"Does anyone recover?"

well, yes, I know people recover

"Does anyone feel like crap when they get sober? then go on and things get better?"

Hmmm..reading here and going to meetings, I find out yes, that is true as well

"Can anyone as messed up as ME recover and have a good life?"

more reading, more talking, more hanging here. Yup, people do that. LOTS of people here have done and are doing that.

One day I find up I can wake up and say "It's possible for me to recover." yeah, I can go that far.

that grows into "I feel great when I think about a life free of addiction."

"Lots of things can happen when I live sober and work recovery."

Today I can wake up, look at myself and say "I am glad I am not drinking."

I can say that even on my toughest day.

I never thought I'd get to this place.

Doing a daily gratitude "inventory" is extremely important for me. Some days I write it out. It's really affirming to see how long my list is. Other times I do it mentally as I lay in bed before I fall asleep.

here are a few things I'm grateful for...

A bed to sleep in while I go through a really unsettling time in my life.

my computer

good books

cocoa

the laundromat

my fave pair of Converse

that 50% off sale I went to yesterday

I have some good things going on..

I don't have a job, I'm living in a camping trailer, I just moved 2000 miles from my friends, My boyfriend just stopped talking to me and I found out he's drinking again, the engine light in my car is on.

but that's only part of what is true for me, I'm going to get more of what I focus on.

Heck just writing the list of "ugh" stuff got me feeling pretty "ugh"...just like making a list of great stuff got me feeling pretty great.

hope grows. Today I am going to cultivate hope.