Notices

Really confused...

Old 09-01-2012, 10:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Really confused...

This is my first posting here though I have lurked and seen the posts by others who have traveled this journey....

My question is do detox clinics/programs really help? I tried to self detox the first time, keeled over 36 hours later at work, had to be taken to the ER with high heart rate, BP, palpitations, clammy skin...I am afraid to go cold turkey again....so wondering if the detox clinics really make it easier in terms of the withdrawal symptoms (without getting you stuck on another drug for the rest of your life).....or should I try the Sinclear Method? My doc has prescribed Naltrexone but hasn't heard of the Sinclear Method.....

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 09-01-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

ive had a good experience with the center i went to. They gave me meds for 7 days to help with the withdraws. im not one who could just go cold turkey. Admitting that i had a problem that i needed help for was hard for me to do. im doing good today and i very greatful to have gotten a chance to go to treatment for they helped me alot. I hope u make the dession to go. keep posting
Old 09-01-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Zee

Hi S1mple & welcome to SR!!!
I would definately recommend a supervised/in patient detox. At least you are being monitered and looked after. Also, being in an alcohol-free environment is pretty helpful for the first few days/weeks. I was in hospital for my first sober month, i probably would have keeled over myself, but I was already horizontal! Withdrawls are pretty harsh, but once you are over them and have a clear head... well, no words can describe how good that feels. I wish you the best of luck
Old 09-01-2012, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had to google sinclear method...
You take an opiate before drinking and it is supposed to make you not want to drink as much. I don't see how that would help me much... I would still have a major problem, only it would combine smaller doses of two addictive substances instead of one to get the "high". The only benefit I could see is it might be easier on the organs than drinking alone but I'm not a doctor.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can actually die from detoxing from alcohol, so YES you are better off being supervised by professionals. The meds do help a lot.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Cool

"...I had to google sinclear method...
You take an opiate before drinking and it is supposed to make you not want to drink as much. I don't see how that would help me much..."

You're absolutely right, BUT what you wrote is incorrect. The Sinclair Method does NOT involve taking opiates. The Sinclair Method involves the use of opiate ANTAGONISTS such as naltrexone or nalmefene while continuing normal drinking habits in order to decrease the craving for alcohol over time.

Oh how just one word can change the whole meaning of a sentence.

(o:
Old 09-01-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

NoelleR, you are , ofcourse right... I didn't read it correctly (and I only read wikipedia's explanation of the sinclear method) My apologies to the board and the OP.
If this method works to help an alcoholic live a better life without being chained to an alcohol addiction, then by all means I'm all for it.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR S1mple

The way I understand it (and I may be wrong here) the Sinclair method would mean having to take Naltrexone for the rest of your life to control your alcohol intake... I thought it sounded a bit crazy to take a drug forever just so I could continue drinking.. but I had already quit drinking by the time I had heard of it. I'm sure my alcohol addled brain would have thought it was an excellent idea.

I got lucky with withdrawals, but had it been an option at the time I would have loved to go to a detox clinic. If nothing else it would provide a safe environment to get those first sober days and I'm assuming most of them work on some recovery program.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by S1mple View Post
My question is do detox clinics/programs really help?
In my case, being detoxed in a hospital (multiple times) not only helped, it probably saved my life. I'd gotten to the point of almost constant drinking and withdrawals. The pain and misery from withdrawals was indescribable. The tapered benzodiazipine detox made it much more comfortable and no I didn't wind up addicted to the benzos. I was also given much needed vitamin and mineral suppliments.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Whether you go to a detox facility or you simply get the advice of your Dr, I recommend medical supervision for detox, yeah.

I had a bad last home alone detox - I don't recommend that at all.
I'm lucky to be here.

D
Old 09-01-2012, 05:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just please never detox alone. I detoxed in a hospital setting but unfortunately got hooked on benzos. I was lucky enough to have my mom monitoring me for seizures while I detoxed from the benzos (the er had me on such a high dose I couldn't tell if I was detoxing from alcohol still or benzos when I was discharged). I have epilepsy and am only 20 days sober so I upped my seizure meds to the max 3,500mg dose but still had seizures. Please don't do it alone.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Home detox or 'cold turkey' detox can be DEADLY.

Like Dee I had a HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE. I too am very lucky to still be here. My story is in the Recovery stories if you care to read it.

Let's just say it would be better for you to go to a detox center where they will monitor you, give you medications (while you are there) to help you through the worst of it and to prevent strokes, seizures, and possible death.

However, detoxing is just the beginning. It is what you do after detox that will be what helps you get into a sober life and stay sober.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 09-01-2012, 08:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My brother has an appt for Mon for a detox facility. But the naltroxene seems to be helping in cutting my consumption big time.....can't seem to get high while taking that...
Old 09-02-2012, 06:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The nsal seems to be helping....don't feel like drinking at all....have had 1/3 of a bottle since yesterday morning...whereas I would have been close to finishing a bottle b last night....slept so great....
Old 09-02-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I do hope you will get professional assistance
at least for the first few days
You did have serious problems before so why not?

Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum...
Old 09-02-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Rehab facilities can make it much easier, they will use benzo's to pull you safely through the withdrawal process. Benzo's of course work by affecting the same receptor sites as alcohol, but it takes 14 days to developed physical addiction. I refused all medication but stayed their because I was too unstable just wasn't safe for me to stay home. I became an alcoholic immediately after being prescribed an SSRI called Paxil, and alcohol abuse is literally a listed side effect. So I would be reluctant to take any long term psychiatric meds. If you know you are going to go through the DT's you need to be somewhere that you are safe and you can't hurt anyone around you, because for me it was a 2 week acid trip, I was seriously more ****** up with withdrawal than any drug and had no idea about it. So in previous attempts I woke up in jail 3 times and totaled my truck completely sober and psychotic. Plus you can develop serious organ damage through withdrawal and benzos prevent that.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

AlBeback,it was Paxil for me too that took me down the alcoholism path....we will see, the hospital called and moved it back to Tuesday....
Old 10-11-2012, 05:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Just a quick update....I checked into Memorial Hermann PaRC, detoxed and stayed for their residential inpatient program. 37 days now sober.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

awesome