Notices

First Sober Vacation

Old 08-30-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Sober Vacation

Hey All!
I'm fairly new to this board, this is my first post. I've been sober 10 days after a spending all of my twenties (besides my three pregnancies) in a torrid love affair with wine. Tomorrow, i leave for a four day vacation with my hubby,kids,and both sets of grandparents (three out of four of which are HEAVY drinkers).My husband, feeling the urge to reel himself in too, also quit, so i do have that support. So far, i havn't had many cravings....but i also havn't been around any alcohol. Any suggestions or thoughts on how to "keep calm and carry on" during this vaca when i know there is going to be a lot of booze around? btw....asking them not to drink is not an option. None of them think i have a drinking problem therefore i shouldn't have a problem with it being around me. Thanks!
Old 08-30-2012, 08:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have other things to do if you get feeling sorry for yourself or the cravings get too much... read, walk, hike, whatever...
Old 08-30-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community...

Try to remember you are giving your children a priceless gift
a sober parent....

Enjoy your vacation...hope y'all have a super sober time.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Please keep reading and posting here today. That should provide quite a lot to keep your mind occupied over the next few days LOL.
It is a tricky situation. If you don't have cravings and you are comfortable around all the others and the activities then just enjoy it. Lucky for you!
Please though, think about it and literally make a plan in case things get tough. You need an "emergency exit" before you take that first drink.
Hoping you have a great time. Congratualtions on your good decision. Live it.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Seminole,

I had the same love affair with vodka during my 20s - how ironic.
What I've been saying to people, because I always drank, is that I'm on a new workout routine...really trying to get fit (I'm not overweight, but I think everyone can use a few stomach crunches here and there).

Anyway, I have been saying I'm really dedicated to this routine and alcohol is restricted for the first couple months. After a few months, I'm hoping they'll all just forget about it. Or, maybe i'll actually lose weight without the booze calories.

Either way, I think this "lie" works best and doesn't make you have to go into detail about why you're not drinking.

have fun and good luck!
Old 08-30-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

I would just try to have fun with your kids, which will be pretty hard to do if you are drunk.

Welcome to SR and congrats on the 10 days
Old 09-09-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just wanted to update.... Made it through vaca no problem! No cravings and seeing everyone else with headaches in the morning while I went for walks on the beach made me appreciate my sobriety that much more. I'm ten days away now from my 30 day chip
Old 09-09-2012, 07:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Good for you, Seminole11!
Old 09-09-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Seminole11 View Post
Just wanted to update.... Made it through vaca no problem! No cravings and seeing everyone else with headaches in the morning while I went for walks on the beach made me appreciate my sobriety that much more. I'm ten days away now from my 30 day chip
Awesome job Seminole. Love to hear it.