Notices

Always sad because I drink

Old 08-28-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Always sad because I drink

A quick little intro. I am 26 and have been drinking for 10 years. I am a binge drinker yet a very avid health person. I eat gluten/dairy free because I have to. I am very involved in crossfit and work out alot. But I cant quick drinking. Even if I dont binge drink and only have a couple drinks I get so depressed for the simple fact that I drank and it is bad for you and adds calories. Also, I tend to get the paranoid feeling that theres always a possibility that something bad could happen because generally something will if I binge drink.

I dont know how to combat the sad feeling but maybe its a good thing and eventually I will quit drinking? I just wish there was an on off switch to stop.
what can I do?
Old 08-28-2012, 09:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome avenue, I too was a binge drinker. Tried fooling myself for a while that since I didn't drik every day I didn't have a drinking problem. I could drink ten times and 9 of them would be normal, but the tenth time wow... I wanted to the off switch, butit doesn't exist. I've been working on my recovery for a little over a month and it's hard work, but very much worth it.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know I want to quit so bad. it effects my training but not school yet. Ive only ever met like 2 ppl who dont drink and one was my ex gf so i feel like it is just always around me constantly.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you really want to...you will, but it will be hard work and no one can do it but you. I agree, all my friends drink, etc. you'd be surprised how they will react when you tell them no thanks I'm haven't inking. I've told my closest friends and family that I gave up drinking for good and am in recovery, they have been nothing short of outstanding supports to me. It's early days for me(38days), so still fairly new. There are a lot of wonderful people here with varied experiences, successes, and methods of recovery. Stick it it and see what they have to say. you can do this!
Old 08-28-2012, 11:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AvenueRed View Post
A quick little intro. I am 26 and have been drinking for 10 years. I am a binge drinker yet a very avid health person. I eat gluten/dairy free because I have to. I am very involved in crossfit and work out alot. But I cant quick drinking. Even if I dont binge drink and only have a couple drinks I get so depressed for the simple fact that I drank and it is bad for you and adds calories. Also, I tend to get the paranoid feeling that theres always a possibility that something bad could happen because generally something will if I binge drink.

I dont know how to combat the sad feeling but maybe its a good thing and eventually I will quit drinking? I just wish there was an on off switch to stop.
what can I do?
You may have an underlying mental health issue. You should get professional help in quitting, that way-you deal with what you have been self medicating for and you get sober! I know from experience-I have mental issues and getting treatment - I don't need alcohol now and 100 days sober!
Old 08-28-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I just wish there was an on off switch to stop.
what can I do?
First, welcome to SR.

You are the stop switch. Commit to quitting, quit, then do EVERYTHING in your power to stay quit.

You sound unsure about the whole thing and say, "eventually I will quit drinking."

I eventually quit too, after 35 years! You want to drag this misery and sadness along for 25 more years? Or halt it in its tracks now?

I suggest the latter, as I followed the first option and don't recommend it.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When my drinking turned me into a depressed woman..that
was the reason I quit and joined AA

That is where I met others just like me who were interested in
finding a positive new lifestyle. .

The best idea I've ever had...

Welcome to our recovery community.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I understand how you feel. The only time I ever seemed upset or wanted to quit drinking was when I was already drinking
Old 08-28-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Drinking disrupts our absorption of vitamins and minerals, so, how healthy is an alcoholic really?

You can stay stopped if you work at it!
Old 08-28-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have dealt with depression/adhd my whole life and been on alot of different meds for it but I havent been on any meds for 2 years now. Also with the whole being healthy thing. that is where the saddness comes into play because I base everything on eating healthy and the fact that I cant stop drinking just baffles me.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Does anyone ever feel like they dont need to eat or work out the days after they drink?
Old 08-29-2012, 10:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

Does anyone ever feel like they dont need to eat or work out the days after they drink?
Yep, it was the debilitating hangover in my case. Work out? I was lucky to crawl out of bed.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm with MetalChick. On Sundays especailly during the winter, I wouldn't even get out of bed.

I wish I had those days back. I would be a lot further in life.