Notices

Post number 1

Old 08-26-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Arrow Post number 1

Today is my first real day of sobriety. I've been drinking heavily for 12 years. Ive known of my inability to stop for several years now and have made several failed attempts at "taking a break". My goal was always to cut down for a certain amount of time thus proving to myself that I could control it. But today is the first time in my life that I said " I will never drink alcohol again ". I'm scared and honestly don't know if I can do it. My whole life revolves around making sure I have enough alcohol for myself. I'm looking forward to a sober life. I've never tried any type of support group and I've always felt ashamed of my problem. After reading through some of the posts its a good feeling to know there's a lot of people out there going through the same thing. I have a wonderful wife and two children and if I don't defeat my disease I will take years off of my life so I've got to stop now. I've been waiting for a good time to stop and have always pushed it back. I said I would stop when I had kids.....nope...then I was going to stop when I was 30......nope. I've got to find a way.

Thanks for listening.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you! You can do it. But consider a program. I work the Alcoholics Anonymous program and it's full of people like us.. when you sit there and listen-you find people telling your story.. it's freeing and it give you hope to see that others make it through. And those same people are willing to take your phone calls and it's best to find a sponsor too.. It's an awesome program..
Old 08-26-2012, 05:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am going to find a meeting to attend this week. I've always been fearful of seeing someone I know or having someone recognize me but my go-to tool is asking myself what's more important...being a little embarrassed or getting help. Up until this point I've put alcohol ahead of everything else in my life. Thank you for the encouragement!
Old 08-26-2012, 05:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR appachem....This was something I needed a structured program and face to face support to get a handle on.....It's worth the effort....Glad you are here.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Take a look at this site...It covers a lot of questions you might have.

Your First AA Meeting<
Old 08-26-2012, 05:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are welcome! There's rules that who ever you see or whatever is said-must stay in that meeting-so it's all cool... There will usually be meetings all over the city and county that you are from.. in my first 90 days, I tried to make a meeting a night..still trying to do that but my gas money is soo tight..
Old 08-26-2012, 05:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was 45 when I came to AA.
I always wondered where some of my drinkin' buddies had gone... I found them in AA

All the best appachem.

Bob R
Old 08-26-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the family Appachem! Sober Recovery is a great place to start.

We are pulling for you.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!
Old 08-26-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome aboard appachem

D
Old 08-26-2012, 07:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi there, appachem. Really glad you found us!

"Never"—I know that word seems scary. Like staring into a void, isn't it? I couldn't imagine my life without alcohol. How could I socialize? How could I relax after a stressful day? How could I sleep?

Here's the good news—that's all garbage. Just more of the lies our addiction tells us, trying to make us afraid. Sure, it takes a while to adjust. I slept like hell for weeks. But now I sleep like a baby. Wake up feeling great. I have way more fun when I go out. Concerts, ball games, meeting friends for dinner—you name it. And that stress I mentioned? Most of it turned out to have come from drinking. Without all that background tension buzzing in my head, bad days are infinitely more manageable.

Also, that self-doubt you mentioned? The uncertainty about whether you can do this? Don't believe that, either. You can do this. You will be so glad you did. Quitting only seems like a sacrifice at the beginning; it's actually the coolest gift ever.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. "Never", applied to drinking, is the most comforting word I know.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Try thinking of quitting as being the most priceless gift that
you can give to yourself and your family...

Thanks for joining our recovery community...sobreity really rocks!
Welcome...