Notices

Ok.. My story

Old 08-26-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ok.. My story

Greetings.. First post..

I've been drinking pretty heavily for the past 5 years, in particularly the last year I would go through a bottle of vodka (750ml) in 2 days on the weekdays and almost a bottle every Fri/Sat.. So typically 3-4 bottles a week!

I was mildly worried a bit about alcohol withdrawals, but I decided to plow ahead..

What is my motivation? Losing weight.. I just started juice fasting, and have been doing it for the past 7 days. Only fresh vegetable and fruit juices, no solids.

For the first 2-3 days I felt pretty awful. I'm not sure if it was from me stopping the bottle cold turkey or my body getting used to just juice and the invasion of all these vitamins and nutrients (my eating habits were horrible). Had a bad headache, hunger pains, a little insomnia, bad dreams. I almost quit and drove over to In-N-Out for a double double..

Well after a week I feel fantastic. I have loads of energy, I wake up actually feeling good and not tired and groggy. Do I feel compelled to go grab a bottle? Currently no, I really don't think about it. We'll see how that goes.

I plan to do a 45 day fast to really detox my body and help repair the damage I'm sure that alcohol did to me.

Not sure if this route would be good or healthy for others, but it has worked wonders for me thus far. Good luck all!
Old 08-26-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Welcome! Not sure I could fast for 45 days!! I would be so hungry! anyways, I wish you the best! you will have to let us know how it worked for you!
Old 08-26-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keep us updated, congrats on the progress so far!
Old 08-26-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Live2Run25 View Post
Welcome! Not sure I could fast for 45 days!! I would be so hungry! anyways, I wish you the best! you will have to let us know how it worked for you!
Thanks!

The way I love food, I thought the same too, and I was for the first 3 days. Now, I drink herbal teas, water, and about 48-64 ounces of juice, depending on how my body feels. There is pretty much no hunger pains now.

My blood pressure was extremely high and I was a borderline diabetic. I'll see how much has changed at the 15 & 30 day mark.

Tonight as I am a bit bored and watching movies, I thought hmm wouldn't it be nice to have a Vodka soda to relax? So I'm trying to get that out of my mind. Problem with me, is once I have one, I go until I'm pretty drunk.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alienbrayn1 View Post
Keep us updated, congrats on the progress so far!
Thanks! Will do..
Old 08-26-2012, 08:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Way to go!

Keep us posted on your results. I was/am in a similar boat as you alcohol/weight loss wise. I'm almost on 3 months and down 45 lbs, but I'm doing protein drinks instead of meals and lots of exercise. I am interested in trying the juice, I think my body is adjusting to this and plateauing, not completely, but things have slowed down.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Did you check with your doctor before starting this fast?
Seems awfully severe to me....best to be both safe and sober..

Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum...
Old 08-27-2012, 10:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Did you check with your doctor before starting this fast?
Seems awfully severe to me....best to be both safe and sober..

Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum...
Hi! Thanks for the welcome....

After watching the documovie "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" (its on Netflix) it motivated me to change my life. I also was tired of the drinking and waking up after a heavy night of drinking and wondering if I did something stupid the night before.

Onto my second week and I feel awesome. Hunger pains are diminished.. I feel a lot of energy and my mental well-being seems to be improving. I spoke to my doctor, they took a CBC and of course it was pretty bad. Her answer was to stick me on some pills to control my blood pressure.. I'll pass.

I spoke to her about my plan and she said that as long as I drank enough vegetable juice (not commercial, but fresh) and came in every 2 weeks to take a CBC to monitor me, she gave me her blessing.

I plan to do this detox/fast for about 60 days. No booze, and no food. Reason for no food is to channel that 70% of your body's energy that is spent on digestion into healing. Or so that is the theory .
Old 08-27-2012, 10:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello. Welcome to SR.
I watched the documentary a month or so ago. I found it really informative. It's nice to hear that your taking your health seriously and doing something about it. Good for you. I'll be looking for your updates.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
Hello. Welcome to SR.
I watched the documentary a month or so ago. I found it really informative. It's nice to hear that your taking your health seriously and doing something about it. Good for you. I'll be looking for your updates.
Thanks for the support! I'm still going strong on day 10. No alcohol, just fresh juice I make at home.

I feel really good... I'm spending a lot of time with my 5 year old daughter as I was just recently laid off (a catalyst of some binge drinking after, but also for my life change) so that is pretty awesome. Going to all the places I couldn't go when I was traveling for work.

I'm down about 12 lbs. I have this mental clarity I haven't had in years. The booze I really haven't thought about but then again I haven't been in a social setting with my friends, all of whom party pretty hard. So one day at a time..

Next week I'll hit the job market (ugh) again..