Notices

First Post / Six Months Sober Saturday!

Old 08-23-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Post / Six Months Sober Saturday!

I have never posted on a forum before, but felt this was needed. I have been sober since Feb 25, 2012. It was a long time coming (fights with my wife over nothing, loud snoring, waking up in my own vomit). I was a weekend drunk. I felt I needed to drink to have a good time on the weekend. I felt I deserved it. I finally decided on my own that it was time. I decided while I was drunk that it would be my last drink. It has been and it will be. My wife decided to quit at the same time to help me (she been out of party mode for awhile). I'm not a religious person, but I beleive everything happens for a reason. 3 months later, we found out we were going to have our first child! This has been my biggest inspiration to keep going. I have been visiting SR ever since my first day sober. Everyones stories have really helped me realize I'm not alone. Thank you for this wonderful site and thank you to all of you for your indirect support. I have a really close friends bachelor party next weekend, but I know I can have a blast without drinking.

Thanks for reading and good luck to everyone in their quest to remain sober!
Old 08-23-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for joining us on the shareing part of SR
Welcome...

Congratulations to you and your wife....you are giving your
baby a priceless gift......sober parents.....
Old 08-23-2012, 01:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR - Be real careful at the bachelor party. Don't be afraid to leave early and make sure you have an escape route planned
Old 08-23-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations!!! Six months sober and a new baby on the way...wow.

For those of us who are just starting sobriety, would you mind sharing your experiences of the last six months? How you were feeling physically and emotionally, challenges you faced, changes that you made and how you see your future? Anything else that you consider important?

Way to go!
Old 08-23-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Catdaddy - congratulations on your 6 months

D
Old 08-23-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations!!
Old 08-23-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That was so good to read, catdaddy. (Love your name). Congratulations on being blessed with a new baby. He/she will never know the drunk daddy - only the healthy and happy one. Perfect timing.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for their kind words and support!

Originally Posted by SlimSlim View Post

Congratulations!!! Six months sober and a new baby on the way...wow.

For those of us who are just starting sobriety, would you mind sharing your experiences of the last six months? How you were feeling physically and emotionally, challenges you faced, changes that you made and how you see your future? Anything else that you consider important?

Way to go!
The first few weeks were very tough. I was very irritable and anxious. As the weeks turned into months, I started feeling better physically and emotionally. I lost 20 lbs (Amazing what beer and late night fast food can do to you) and my marriage got better in the process. I started waking up early on the weekends and didn't sleep till 10am because I was hung over. No more wondering who I pissed off or what I did to embarrase myself and my wife.
Knowing I will be a father soon has been a blessing during this journey. I'm so excited! I just celebrated my 30th birthday (first one sober since I turned 17).
I went to a bbq a couple of months ago that I had to leave after an hour because I couldn't be around all of the drinking. It upset me that I couldn't handle being around it, but I was very glad the next day when I woke up feeling great. You really have to just take it one day at a time. If I can help answer other questions, just let me know.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done. Good advice from FredG, ALWAYS have an escape route planned - thats so important :/