Notices

Sloppy Drunk Female

Old 08-22-2012, 06:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sloppy Drunk Female

To make a long story short, I have been a daily beer drinker for about 6 years. Before that I would drink occasionally and only sometimes over-do it. I went to my first AA meeting back in April and have been to about 10 since, but I just listen. I actually went a month without drinking a couple weeks ago but now I am back at it. I get sloppy drunk every time I drink. Slur, stumble, puke. Anyways, now that I have started drinking again, I am afraid I can't quit. I just went camping with my old friend because that is what we do every August. Well, she ended up having to take me aside, tell me I was drunk, couldn't walk and was slurring my words. I really didn't feel like I was that bad but I listened to her and she helped me to my tent by giving me more beer if I went. Needless to say, I felt like a total loser and am really embarrassed. She knows I have been working on quitting but I think this is the first time she actually saw how sloppy I get. I need to quit drinking!
Old 08-22-2012, 06:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would say good luck in quiting but i think, i have a funny feeling you are strong enough to do it, you just dont realise it, go for it

Take the nagative from the camping trip and turn it into a positive, at least you now know you have a supportive friend. I really hope you do manage it
Old 08-22-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Patty! If you want to quit you'll find a lot of good advice and support here.

If you went a month you've shown you can quit drinking. I'm sure you can do it again.

There are lots of alternatives to AA like AVRT and SMART recovery if AA isn't working for you. Check out the Secular Connections section of this website for more info on these.

Do you have a plan for quitting drinking again?
Old 08-22-2012, 09:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, Patty.

I can tell you're really down on yourself right now. But hey, you know what? I bet you that's how most former alcoholics felt on the day they started to turn it all around. You've taken a great step by coming here.

I'm not in AA, but from what I understand, there's a lot more to it than going to meetings. Maybe you could dig into it a little more? And/or check out the other approaches Deserto mentioned. I've found great insights on the Secular Connections threads; it would be great to see you over there, too.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am all for doing research into other methods but just going to AA meetings about twice per month is not enough. Do you or your spouse work? If so, you may have access to an Employee Assistance Program that provides free, confidential short term counseling. This may allow you to meet with a professional and get help developing a recovery plan.

Early in my sobriety during outpatient therapy, I went kicking and screaming to three meetings per week and as I got more comfortable I began opening up.

Sobriety is difficult and takes hard work and even then there are no guarantees.

Take care,

Dave
Old 08-23-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum....

When I began working the AA Steps I went from shakey sobriety
into solid recovery....
I've not had another drink of alcohol.

Yes you too can win over alcohol....please do start again..
Old 08-23-2012, 02:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Did you enjoy listening to the AA meetings Patty? If so I would recommend you go to them more often. And I know you might feel embarrassed but maybe your friend can help support you in your efforts to quit? You never know.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

from an ex sloppy, knee slappin, fallin down drunk, welcome!!!!

sure hope ya come back
Old 08-23-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hope you kick the beer to the curb I have about 28 hours sober.... sloppy me too it only progresses the first drink is the one that gets us. read the big book of AA go to book study meetings. I have to admit Ive been sober from beer a few different times over a 22 yr. course. usually the law steps in and there aint no beer in jail or the hospitals they all kicked me back out to the streets............ And Blam alcohols still legal and I would drink again !!!!!!!! Sloppy and demoralized 5 1/2 years without a drink then well I acted insanely drunk another 50 times or so too many blackouts...... poison, toxic drug I really do feel it gets better KKKKKKKKKKK hope the best for everyone
Old 08-24-2012, 05:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! I was a wine drinker who gave it up over two years ago and am happier now than I've been in a long time. Give it all your effort as living sober is worth it!
Old 08-24-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Alcoholism is a progressive disease.

Understand that you don't have to drink. You can choose to drink or get to an AA meeting and get serious about sobriety. This isn't a disease of the elbow.

You don't have to drink TODAY. Forget next tomorrow, next week, next year. I've been doing this for 20+ years and it works!