Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

New guy here, my fun story and why I need to be here

Notices

Old 08-22-2012, 07:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I don't really know how you all do this, if it's like a meeting or not so I figured I'd share a story like you do there. I was 2 years sober, after going in and out of jail and making a complete mess of my life I got into treatment and straightened out.. Things were going good, ended up getting my life together, met a girl, got a house together, and then had to move out because she didn't like my son. But I stayed sober, lived in a storage unit across from a bar, stayed sober, then moved into a crappy motel for about 6 months, but stayed sober. Then when I got my own place, had a good job, and everything was going great, I decided a beer was well deserved. Now I'm back at square one and struggling, so I felt like it's time I reach out for support before it spirals out of control again. Sorry about the whiney opening there, just thought I'd share a back story. How's everyone else doing?
Old 08-22-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard SR Claybear.

So, remember how you did the 2 years? Do it again. Without the jail of course.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum...

I stay connected to my AA program/meetings and it's working
very well for me....

Blessings to you and your son as you re start your sober future
Old 08-22-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 08-22-2012, 07:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome.

Funny how we have the strength to get through the tough times, but the minute things getting going good, our resolve weakens. Hope SR helps you get back on track.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I honestly believe that as an alcoholic I'm programmed to self destruct when things go my way... Just my personal opinion. The truth is, I went to aa for awhile but usually left with the desire to drink, so I tried to avoid it as much as possible. I just found hobbies to keep myself occupied, but seeing as how my apartment building sucks, none of my hobbies are allowed.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by claybear View Post
I honestly believe that as an alcoholic I'm programmed to self destruct when things go my way.
yes, we can be like that. however, using it as a copout to not put in the footwork to change anit gonna help.
nothing changes if nothing changes.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

As moving is part of your back story and your building is not
allowing you whatever hobbies you are interested in.....

I suggest you find another place...give notice and re locate.

Personally....my hobbies are not the reason I'm a recovered alcoholic
They did not get me drinking or sober.

My issue was alcohol...and how it was disrupting my mind.

AA or no AA....I certainly hope you will quit again
Old 08-22-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Now I'm back at square one.
No, not at all. It sounds to me like those two years were incredibly valuable. It's also hard to imagine you haven't gained from the experience of having decided to drink again. I'm really sorry that's turned into such a painful lesson, but it's still a lesson, you know?

I would venture you've never been more prepared to quit—and to quit for good. You can do this. AA's helped a huge number of folks to not only quit, but to address other issues in their lives. But that's certainly not the only approach. There's SMART, LifeRing, and others. Some folks benefit from addiction counseling. Some people find all the support and inspiration they need right here on SR. That's how I started out, then I started exploring AVRT self-recovery techniques, as popularized by Rational Recovery. We have some threads about all that on SR's secular connections forums, if you want to check it out.

Again, you can do this. You have many options. And you've already taken a great first step.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's tough sometimes, and I know when I took that first sip it was because I wanted to. Maybe I was bored, or stressed, or whatever, but I learned through the last 2 years how to cope, and it just seemed like for some reason I thought I could control it. That's about as effective as throwing a leash on the incredible hulk. I really just need to figure out where the meetings are in this town so I can get out of my apartment and socialize with other people that are in the same boat instead of spending my days listening to all the college kids partying and wanting to join them.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree that my local AA committment and being around others in
recovery is vital to me. I do hope you will follow thru and
begin your journey again...

I suggest it's time to get back on track...Step 1
would be a good start.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Claybear, I am new here too. I think you sound like you know already what works for you, and you want to be back in a better, non-drinking place. I agree with the poster above that in no way are you back to square one! (of course...sounds like you COULD be if you don't rope it in, but you aren't there yet!) Take the valuable lessons you learned and jump back on that bandwagon. I am trying to do the very same thing. I know WAY better than to be in the current situation I find myself.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Claybear

D