Notices

am i doomed without aa

Old 08-21-2012, 09:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

am i doomed without aa

Ok so i was just gunna go cold turkey without seeking doctors help but after 3 days i went doctors due to pain and discomfort.

So that was one intention that i went back on (im glad i did though). I have also intended not to go aa meetings but now im worried that if i dont give it a go then im doomed to failier.

I new getting sober would be hard but i always like to do things on my own. Im just not sure if i can do this on my own but am reluctant to go and face the music at aa
Old 08-21-2012, 09:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can give it a try. you don't need to committ to anything. You could try other stuff too like AVRT, or just hang out here at SR.

There are lots of things you could do or not do.

Congratulations for making the decision to quit!! Welcome
Old 08-21-2012, 09:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and good luck! I am sure you have it in you to stop if you want to.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I really want to stop, well continue stopped anyway.

Im off nights from friday morning, so if i dont drink at weekend then i wont go aa, if i end up messing up then i will go next week, does that sound a good plan or not
Old 08-21-2012, 09:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There are many paths to recovery. Some people have succeeded just using SR. I started out that way, then began to utilize AVRT self-recovery tools. We have some active discussion threads going on the secular connections forums of this site; between those and a Rational Recovery book or two, you'd have plenty of info at your disposal.

As for the whole "face the music" thing, I'd keep an open mind about all options. AA wasn't the right program for me, but I went to a few meetings, and the folks there were extremely welcoming. Some of them were pretty darn inspiring.

Whatever you do, give it your all. It takes some effort to reach escape velocity, but trust me, you will be really glad in the end.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can understand your hesitation. I do think its worth a try though. It sounds to me like you need to be with others that are going through or have gone through the same thing ( more than a forum). AA looks scary from the outside. Once I was in the rooms, I felt very comfortable. I was embraced by the old timers and "New" timers. You don't have to talk....you don't have to do anything. I think you should go 1 time and see how it treats you. It can't hurt.
There are other forms of recovery. AVRT and SMART are two that I know of. Have you checked into them? It's important that you do not isolate and that you find a way that is helpful for you. It doesn't matter what it is. Post here like crazy. This site has been a life saver for me. I hope that your discomfort eases soon. Hang in there.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I will do my best, ive never been one for half measures, ok so that was an awful joke but you now what i mean lol
Old 08-21-2012, 09:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This road gets easier. It really does......nice joke.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Lot's of people get their lives back together without AA.
They don't go to hell, jail or insane either.
Do what you have to do.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

As you can see and will there are all kinds of options. Just as long as you go with something I believe you can be free. Doing it alone not so much..

For me it is AA, and I have to say I love the music I heard when I finally walked thru the doors to surrender. Working the steps and being a proud active member has taught me to be able to live happily with alcohol.

Routing for you on any path. ..
Old 08-22-2012, 02:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

No.

I have used this forum and avrt.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

No, you aren't doomed if you don't go to AA. A lot of us live happy sober lives with tons of other methods to our recovery. In my experience and opinion however, you're doomed if you absolutely nothing but switch your beverage. For me, there were bigger reasons for how I was drinking and I had to address them and learn new tools to live sober.. I didn't know how to do that on my own. Personally, I saw a counselor who specializes in addiction 2x a week for about 6 months, and read a few books he recommended, and stayed close to SR. In December I'll have 4 years.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

This question comes up fairly often around here and the answer is: no, you do not have to go to AA.

You don't necessarily have to do any formal program at all, but if you think one might be helpful there are several besides AA. I'm a fan of SMART Recovery but there's also LifeRing, SOS, Women For Sobriety and an approach (not a program) called AVRT. And that's just what I'm familiar with, I'm sure there are more!
Old 08-22-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

You are only doomed if you do not help yourself in some day. It does not have to be AA, but you do need something! Many of us found that we cant stay sober on our own. We need the love and support of other people.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cheese1 View Post
Ok so i was just gunna go cold turkey without seeking doctors help but after 3 days i went doctors due to pain and discomfort.

So that was one intention that i went back on (im glad i did though). I have also intended not to go aa meetings but now im worried that if i dont give it a go then im doomed to failier.

I new getting sober would be hard but i always like to do things on my own. Im just not sure if i can do this on my own but am reluctant to go and face the music at aa
Why are you reluctant to face the music at AA? Are you afraid it will work ??

Just Google and read AA's "The Doctors Opinion", "How It Works" and "The Promises of Alcoholics Anonymous". Do those documents apply to you?
If they do, then AA is the answer.

If you can "do it on your own" then go for it. The reality of your choice will soon become evident.

I wish you the best.

Bob R
Old 08-22-2012, 06:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Cheese, AA is neither necessary nor sufficient for sobriety. What is necessary however is that ironclad decision to never drink again. It might be that you believe that there will be some magic spell that will make you stop drinking. The truth is that NOTHING MAKES YOU STOP. It has to come from you.

The whole 'I'm gonna try... and if that doesn't work, then I'll try....' does not sound good at all to me. You need to step up and be counted, at least by yourself, as saying, 'That's it, I'm done', I have stopped drinking. The last drink I had will be the last one I will have. Finito.'

Are you ready to make that plan, that commitment about using alcohol ever again?
Old 08-22-2012, 06:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Its weird, when its late at night i feel charged to not drink but time like now where id normally be due to drink in a bit and i feel wobbely, but if i now what times are harder then im gunna try and keep busy, thank you lot so much, i cant belive how understanding and lovely you lot are
Old 08-22-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I use AVRT. Unfortunately AA let me down very very badly.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Doomed without AA?

That would be a personal choice, and has nothing to do with recovery. Many AA's feel that without AA they would not have become sober, and many continue to feel they do best by continuing with AA, which often means attending meetings on a regular basis, so that AA is an important part of their ongoing lives.

I'm sober from AA, and there is no music to face in AA, or any other recovery path chosen, imo. I don't do alot of meetings these past years, but I've been to hundreds in my early years. AA works, no doubt about it.

I'm also AVRT, and I've been doing some variance of AVRT since I quit three decades ago. This last year, I'm fomerly learning about precise use of AVRT, and its working very well too. When I quit, Rational Recovery did not exist.

To each their own, you know?

Nothing works for everybody, we all have some experience with what dosen't work, even if its only personal misfortune.

So, feel free to attend AA or not. Just don't believe you're somehow doomed if you don't attend. You can only be doomed if you don't stay quit, and don't thereafter enjoy a quality sans-alcohol life. Good luck with your choices, and congrats on your early start.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thankyou robby,