Notices

Adderall+Alcohol

Old 08-21-2012, 02:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Adderall+Alcohol

So I’m on prescribed Adderall only I avoid taking it quite often.

Sometimes I don’t have a choice such as when I have a paper to write, a lot of reading to do, or a class to pay attention to etc. However, unless something major is going on I tend not to take it.

I do this to avoid the horrible Adderall crash. I mean it’s literally awful. It makes me feel horrible. It’s like I’m coming down off hardcore drugs sometimes. Shaky, sweaty, cravings to drink, headache, anxiety, irritability, insomnia. And a VERY strong desire to drink in order to relieve these symptoms. Very very strong and very hard for me to resist because I know with just a little bit of alcohol these symptoms will disappear.

No need to get drunk, either, just enough to “take the edge off”

I’ve tried pretty much every other ADD drug out there besides the newest one (Which is called Vivance?) without ANY luck. My grades immediately dropped and it didn’t have half the effect that Adderall does.

Note that Adderall does NOT make me high! It makes me FUNCTION normally. I mean I am so much better when I take it. So much more focused, I get things I need to do done, I’m more responsible, less forgetful, more aware of the things going on around me…I mean it could literally change my life if I took it every day.

But I don’t because it triggers me to drink BAD and because of this horrible crash I get!

It also completely destroys my appetite (which can be a tempting side effect) and ability to sleep so I take it only as needed instead of every day as it’s not the kind of medication that needs to build up in your system.

Is there any way any of you’ve found to avoid this horrible crash? I mean literally the only thing that makes me feel like I’m not about to die is alcohol but obviously I’m trying to avoid that…

Any suggestions? If I took Adderall every day it could probably be life changing for me but I don't because of the reasons mentioned above. If it makes a difference to any of you I've been on Adderall for like 8 years.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Did you discuss all this with your doctor?
I dont have any experience with adderall, but maybe they can lower your dosage?
Old 08-21-2012, 03:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
Did you discuss all this with your doctor?
I dont have any experience with adderall, but maybe they can lower your dosage?
They did lower my dosage about a year ago. I'm on 25 MG's of XR. Any lower than this and it's not enough. I think the next lowest dose is something like 15 MG's, I forget because it was two yeas ago but the next lowest dose wasn't enough for me...

I actually just switched doctors. I have an appointment coming up in October so I suppose I could speak with her then!

I'm actually going to have to take it today and hoping I can manage to stay sober and not drink to avoid that crash.

Occasionally smoking cigarettes can lessen it--barely. But I don't want to do THAT either.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's possible that you can find a solution, but you and your doctor will probably need a lot of trial and error.

Stimulants like Adderall and Ritalin... I took them for years and years and they were awesome at first. I do recall the crash. I am convinced that these pills hastened the onset of my addiction to alcohol and other stuff, to help me sleep, to get through the crash, to take the edge off the ever increasing dose I took.

Good for You!! That you recognize the effect that Adderall has on you and your craving for alcohol... You are most definitely not unique in this regard but your insight might help you avoid my ultimate fate with stimulants...

While it is possible you and your doctor may find some kind of solution so you can take it more often, it's possible there is no solution. Maybe just taking it at the times you need it most will be the best option out there.. and if you aren't abusing it recreationally, that's legitimate...

Good Luck!!
Old 08-21-2012, 05:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
NAIOU

Warning Adderall:
The combination of dextroamphetamine and amphetamine can be habit-forming. Do not take a larger dose, take the medication more often, or take it for a longer time than prescribed by your doctor. If you take too much dextroamphetamine and amphetamine, you may find that the medication no longer controls your symptoms, you may feel a need to take large amounts of the medication, and you may experience symptoms such as rash, difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep, irritability, hyperactivity, and unusual changes in your personality or behavior. Overusing dextroamphetamine and amphetamine may also cause sudden death or serious heart problems such as heart attack or stroke.

Tell your doctor if you or anyone in your family drinks or has ever drunk large amounts of alcohol, uses or has ever used street drugs, or has overused prescription medications. Your doctor will probably not prescribe dextroamphetamine and amphetamine for you.

Do not stop taking dextroamphetamine and amphetamine without talking to your doctor, especially if you have overused the medication. Your doctor will probably decrease your dose gradually and monitor you carefully during this time. You may develop severe depression and extreme tiredness if you suddenly stop taking dextroamphetamine and amphetamine after overusing it.

Do not sell, give away, or let anyone else take your medication. Selling or giving away dextroamphetamine and amphetamine may harm others and is against the law. Store dextroamphetamine and amphetamine in a safe place so that no one else can take it accidentally or on purpose. Keep track of how many tablets or capsules are left so you will know if any are missing.

Your doctor or pharmacist will give you the manufacturer's patient information sheet (Medication Guide) when you begin treatment with dextroamphetamine and amphetamine and each time you get more medication. Read the information carefully and ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FenwayFaithful View Post
So I’m on prescribed Adderall only I avoid taking it quite often.

Sometimes I don’t have a choice such as when I have a paper to write, a lot of reading to do, or a class to pay attention to etc. However, unless something major is going on I tend not to take it.

I do this to avoid the horrible Adderall crash. I mean it’s literally awful. It makes me feel horrible. It’s like I’m coming down off hardcore drugs sometimes. Shaky, sweaty, cravings to drink, headache, anxiety, irritability, insomnia. And a VERY strong desire to drink in order to relieve these symptoms. Very very strong and very hard for me to resist because I know with just a little bit of alcohol these symptoms will disappear.

No need to get drunk, either, just enough to “take the edge off”

I’ve tried pretty much every other ADD drug out there besides the newest one (Which is called Vivance?) without ANY luck. My grades immediately dropped and it didn’t have half the effect that Adderall does.

Note that Adderall does NOT make me high! It makes me FUNCTION normally. I mean I am so much better when I take it. So much more focused, I get things I need to do done, I’m more responsible, less forgetful, more aware of the things going on around me…I mean it could literally change my life if I took it every day.

But I don’t because it triggers me to drink BAD and because of this horrible crash I get!

It also completely destroys my appetite (which can be a tempting side effect) and ability to sleep so I take it only as needed instead of every day as it’s not the kind of medication that needs to build up in your system.

Is there any way any of you’ve found to avoid this horrible crash? I mean literally the only thing that makes me feel like I’m not about to die is alcohol but obviously I’m trying to avoid that…

Any suggestions? If I took Adderall every day it could probably be life changing for me but I don't because of the reasons mentioned above. If it makes a difference to any of you I've been on Adderall for like 8 years.
If I could have found a way to stay drunk 24/7 with no downside I would have too.

If your Dr prescribed it, talk to him/her. I found over the years that the pills quit working the same as the booze did.

What does your Dr say about 12 Step programs?

All the best.

Bob R
Old 08-21-2012, 05:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
NAIOU

Amphetamine, dextroamphetamine, other stimulant medications such as benzphetamine (Didrex),lisdexamfetamine (Vyvanse), or methamphetamine (Desoxyn). I might as well be doing crystal meth. Long term use and abuse of these drugs can cause serious mental problems. Speed Kills. In the old days we called it CRANK, because it would crank you up. This is just my opinion. Sorry If I offended anyone. I just know this from 45 yrs. of drug abuse.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Treating ADD has similar trial and error problems as same person who needs to try 10 different anti-d's to help with whatever mental health issue they have. I got lucky.

In 20+ years I've had to learn how to settle my brain down for tasks....some near impossible. People without ADD diagnosis seem to think it's just about inability to focus. "Everyone is a little ADD" <--I've heard that a million times over and other than right this moment, on an online forum, I haven't mention I've had it since my early 20's.

To have that kind of reaction from that medicine is something I've never heard of. I've had common side effect of no appetite and sleep can be harder. But have never taken other than 1st thing in the morning and I've never taken more than a morning dose, in 20 years.

Definitely something to mention to your doctor when you seem them in Oct.
Were I in your shoes, I'd try at least to get a nurse in the doctors office to return a call to you and see if you can reduce the dose. Doesn't seem worth it with that kind of a reaction.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

FenwayFaithful:

My son is ADHD, so I can appreciate your situation.

Logo, you did offend me. Your opinion comes from a lack of awareness. ADD/ADHD is very real and FenwayFaithful and others like her takes these medications which are prescribed by doctors in order to function. Initially, stimulant medications were used to treat ADD/ADHD because they had a paradoxical effect, meaning the meds didn't "speed" things up for people with ADD/ADHD, but slowed things down so that they could focus and be less hyperactive. My son was/is extremely hyperactive and I could see that the meds did allow him to be able to sit still.

Fenway, my son stopped taking meds after we tried many different types, including participating in the clinical trials of Concerta. None of them worked really well for him, and he had issues with taking them.

I'll PM you. There's a fine line here with medical advice and I don't want to cross it.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Fenway,

I am ADD and had to try several meds before I found one that worked and didn't cause side effects that I couldn't deal with.

You have to talk with your doctor about what's going on and be patient. It's the only way you'll ever be on the right meds.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

if you're on XR (which i am thinking is extended release), that is also a consideration. it's longer acting. I would not wait another 6 weeks until your appointment, especially since you have been binge drinking recently.

you need a real HONEST discussion with your prescribing physician. If they don't know the details, they can't help you.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Like Fandy said, the extended release form is preferable and I'd imagine since it's released bit by bit over a period of time, the crash is less vicious than if it were released all at once. Also, in my experience with these drugs, they're prescribed to be taken every day. As your body gets used to it, it won't be such a tough crash at the end. Finding your baseline optimal dosage is hard with all these things considered, so keeping working with you doctor on that.

Taking it every day can be a bumpy ride at first. They tell us that when we first start an ADHD drug, that the first few days our bodies are adjusting to it. Taking it every day maintains that adjustment and begins to feel more natural.

With that said, I can relate to your post a LOT. My crashes on Adderall were a total horror show. Thought I was dying, felt the epitome of both sadness and anxiety, did everything I could to distract myself. Alcohol really did take the edge off but then you're treading on some dangerous territory, as you seem to be aware. Unfortunately, I ended up using my Adderall irresponsibly, and eventually stopped seeing my psychiatrist (who probably knew I was abusing the drug and just wanted to write scripts - seriously, huge Adderall and Xanax scripts to someone he counsels on addiction. What's the matter with this guy!?). If I'd used it responsibly, things would've gone much better for me. It is a great drug but so easily mishandled. You're clearly not using it to get high, but I still think you need to determine with you doctor a comfortable daily regimen of the stuff. Maybe begin with small doses and work your way up slowly, to keep the crashes from getting intense.

Good luck!

(If I broke any forum rules involving medical advice, I apologize and obviously please feel free to snip out portions or delete my post).
Old 08-21-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks everyone who shared ...and it's time to let this topic go.

We are edgeing on violating our medical Rule 10.

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.