Notices

Withdrawal Symptoms

Old 08-19-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawal Symptoms

So a few months ago I started noticing the symptoms associated with alcohol withdrawal after a night of heavy drinking. Confusion, dizzyness, and increased heart rate. I didn't link it to withdrawal right away though because I only drank once maybe twice a week and never did drink two days in a row. Although when I did drink, I drank heavily (at least a fifth of rum). Like a fool I ignored it and attributed it to getting older and just new things I have to suffer through in the aftermath of drinking. Last weekend the symptoms were a little more severe with near hallucinations, heart rate increased to chest pains, and increased anxiety. So finally I looked up alcohol withdrawal symptoms and I had my answer. 8 days later I am just now feeling like myself again. So I have decided to quit drinking for my health. I was wondering though if anyone could tell me if these symptoms would show up again if somewhere down the line I decided to drink again. Like say I took a year or so off and then decided binge drink one night with my friends. Would my body still react the same way or would it have recovered.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sally1009

In my case the withdrawal symptoms certainly did recur, even after a six and a half year break from alcohol. And they were worse than ever. If you are an alcoholic, we are told it is a progressive illness, even when not drinking.
If you are an alcoholic, it is almost certain you will never be able to drink again.
But it's not all bad news. You can live happily without alcohol, as many others on this site will tell you.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I lost a friend because of a situation like that. The reason you have withdrawals is because your body is used to the alcohol. If you go back to drinking,and drink the same amount you did when you left off. It can do you in. Because your not used to the amount you drank when you stopped.
I don't think most people slam the same amount right off the bat when they fall off the wagon,but my friend did. And age probably played a part (late 40's)
It's wise to stop and stay stopped. Why chance it?

Fred
Old 08-19-2012, 11:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Binge drinking without drinking alcoholically? This is just a garden variety hangover, although a big one.
I hope you learned your lesson.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by glenns View Post
Binge drinking without drinking alcoholically? This is just a garden variety hangover, although a big one.
I hope you learned your lesson.
No, I know hangovers and this was different. Also I would consider my behavior to be that of an alcoholic.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nevertheless View Post
I lost a friend because of a situation like that. The reason you have withdrawals is because your body is used to the alcohol. If you go back to drinking,and drink the same amount you did when you left off. It can do you in. Because your not used to the amount you drank when you stopped.
I don't think most people slam the same amount right off the bat when they fall off the wagon,but my friend did. And age probably played a part (late 40's)
It's wise to stop and stay stopped. Why chance it?

Fred
I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Thanks for the info and advice. Looks like I'm done for good.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm glad you decided to stop drinking for health reasons.
Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum...
Old 08-19-2012, 05:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

glenns.......Welcome

There is a train of thought that hangovers are a milder
forum of de tox symptoms.
Either way....the solution is the same...not drinking...
Old 08-19-2012, 05:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

alcohol poisoning is not funny. it all progresses, whether you drink or not. not drinking then drinking again can be lethal.