Notices

Therapy And Sobriety.....

Old 08-17-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Therapy And Sobriety.....

I find myself a little on edge. My therapist has been transferred to a hospital & my psych Dr. quit after almost 30yrs. I will be without either for a while. The Dr. gave me several refills but I'm worried about seeing a new Dr. I have extreme anxiety & get a limited amount of "emergency meds" for PTSD. Hopefully, the new Dr. will continue prescribing. I will miss my therapist as she kinda helped me figure things out dealing with my childhood. Not sure if I should stay with this clinic or look for a new low cost/free clinic??
Old 08-17-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

J1, are you going to AA meetings?

Bob R
Old 08-17-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

seriously?

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
J1, are you going to AA meetings?

Bob R
Every. Single. Time.

This question is medical/therapeutic in nature and is not in any way soliciting advice or input about AA.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

It's not easy finding a good psych doc at least it wasn't for me, so I understand your anxiety.

As far as the concern you have about your new Dr. prescribing "emergency meds" for PTSD .... don't worry about it yet. It might not be a bad idea to have a new perspective on your condition now.

You'll be just fine.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think it's worth staying with what you know at the moment and give the new DR a chance. If it's medication that you need and have been prescribed it long term then I don't see why that should change. I'm in the UK though so maybe it is a little different.

Will they have a new therapist for you also? I can understand how extremely anxious that can make you feel, especially when you have trusted and opened up to somebody and were getting somewhere more positive.

Personally, and this is just my opinion, I would stick with where I was and see how it goes. Sorry if that isn't too much help, not understanding the system there I can only comment on how it would be for me here in the UK.

Wishing you all the best.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

2grandaughters, yes I go to meetings. But working the steps, daily meetings, a sponser, fellowship ect... does nothing for my mental health. The depression is a bit better without the booze/cocaine/heroin but still lingers like a dark cloud.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
2grandaughters, yes I go to meetings. But working the steps, daily meetings, a sponser, fellowship ect... does nothing for my mental health. The depression is a bit better without the booze/cocaine/heroin but still lingers like a dark cloud.
Thank you for your reply.

I used Valium and booze to medicate and mask my depression and suicidal tendencies through the 70's and 80's. Can I PM you?

I wish you the best.

Bob R
Old 08-17-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey justfor1. It can be scary when therapists/docs move on. I found it really difficult when it's happened to me in the past.

But the woman I'm with now is great, really good. Not what I expected when I found her but I am very happy that we met and got a good relationship now (though that took a bit).

Go easy on yourself during this time of transition, see what the new doc is like before looking around (I always need people with compassion, at least initially).

Let us know how it goes.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

((Justfor1)) - Though my dr. wasn't a mental health dr., he WAS the one who treated my PTSD after a violent robbery at work when workmen's comp said "we don't deal with that". The first time I met him, I told him my history. He was absolutely awesome, as was his nurse.

Then, he left the practice. A couple months later, so did the nurse. I chose to go to the dr. who was taking his patients at the same practice. No, she's not like him...he sat down, joked, laughed, asked about addiction as he wanted to know more.

However, I told her my story the first time I met her and though I had my doubts? She's been awesome. She started mentioning an anti-d 4 months before I finally went to her last week and said "I'm losing it". I finally agreed to the anti-d, and am doing much better. I also take meds for sleep (insomnia due to the PTSD) but will only give me 2 refills at the most. She wants to SEE me, know what's going on in my life, before she will just write a script.

So, that's my ES&H. She's nothing like my old dr. but she's good and she cares. She spotted depression in me far before I would admit it, but didn't push. She will not just dole out pills.

I was heartbroken when my first dr. left, but it turned out okay. I think if you give the new dr. a chance, it won't take long to figure out if it's a good fit.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy