Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Doctors tell me I am not dependent but I am unsure

Notices

Old 08-16-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello all, first post here. I've stumbled across this site a few times when doing Google searches and have browsed it before registering.

I guess ultimately why I'm posting here is selfish - I want information from others who almost certainly know more than me. Although, I also hope that perhaps anything I write here could be a help to someone who is in a bad place right now.

So a bit about me... I'm a 29 year old male. I consider(ed?) myself in relatively good shape. I'm 6 foot 1 tall and weigh about 220lb which makes me nearly obese by clinical standards, though I am of a broad build and fairly muscular. I do have a little excess fat around my waist and stomach. My diet has never been brilliant, I eat too much fat and sugar and not enough fresh fruit and vegetables.

I have been drinking alcohol for 12 years, mainly strong beer (5%). For at least 9 years I have been drinking on average 4-5 days per week. I would estimate that my average weekly intake of alcohol was at least the equivalent of one fifth of vodka, perhaps 1.5 some weeks, even more if I went out for an evening at the weekend.

Perhaps the first I actually realised I might have a problem was about 7 years back. I had a nasty vomitting bug which kept me in bed for two days. I remember lying in bed thinking to myself "hell, I've not even had a beer today". For about the next three years I carried on as I had - most evenings I would sit down in front of TV or computer and drink 3 or 4 beers then go to bed. I went to see my doc for an unrelated matter during this time. I plucked up the courage to tell him that I thought I was drinking excessively, his reply was to ask me "do you put liquor or milk on your cornflakes at breakfast?" Of course, my answer was "milk" and he said that I was fine.

4 years ago I met my current partner. We were very happy for the first two years together. Then at her sister's wedding I got very drunk and ended up just being a bit of an ******* - I wasn't nasty but I was a bit rude to the hotel porter who couldn't find our room. After this my partner told me that my drinking was a problem for her, she said that although me being drunk at the wedding was bad it was just the sight of me with a beer in my hand nearly every evening that she didn't like.

Since then I have made a concious effort to reduce my drinking and have curtailed it somewhat. For the main period after this I managed to drink just 2-3 beers, about 3-4 times per week.

About 6 months ago I noticed I was getting some slight discomfort in my upper right chest, about 2 inches below my nipple. It came and went, and was not severe but noticeable. I saw a locum doctor who told me that I had curved spine and crushing to a disc (which I knew anyway, old injury) and that the pain was being referred from my back through my ribs. I didn't suspect it was due to alcohol, but I still went to see my doctor anyway. I didn't think much of it to be honest.

In the meantime about 2 months ago, me and my partner hit a bit of a rough time in our relationship. She told me that although I was never nasty or violent when I was drinking, she noticed a change in my mood and personality that she could not tolerate. She said that it always seemed to happen if I had 3 beers. She did not like me having any really but she said she didn't mind me having 2 on a semi-regular basis. My response to this was to show her that I could stop completely. For a whole month after this I didn't drink a drop. Then, we went to another wedding where I drank two beers all night. Neither of us had a problem with this and we got on fine.

Since then I've been back to the doctor because the pain I was getting seemed to be more frequent and moving into my back and also a little lower. I had some nausea, diarrhea and lost my appetite as well, though this only lasted two days and it was right after one of our kids had sickness so the doctor told me that it was to do with that. I had an ultrasound scan of my upper abdomen and the only thing that came back was slight fatty liver.

I had a follow up appointment with the doctor and I was completely honest about my drinking history. I was very surprised that he didn't appear at all concerned! He said that he wasn't sure that the fatty liver was caused my alcohol, it was equally likely to be diet. I asked him if I should abstain from alcohol and he said I could continue to drink at the modest amounts I currently consume (since the wedding, I've had about 4 beers spread over a few weeks). I asked him if he thought I had a problem with alcohol and he asked me how easy I found it to quit. I said it was very easy (it was) and I had no withdrawal symptoms whatever. His response was that I was just in a bad habit and not actually dependent on alcohol. He wanted to discharge me, I told him I was still concerned so he sent me for a blood test which he told me is only to put my mind at rest because he is convinced it will be within the realms of normal (awaiting results). He is also adamant that my upper right abdominal pain is nothing to do with the fatty liver. He pressed his knuckle into several of my vertebrae and some were tender - he said these corresponded to the adjoining ribs where I felt the discomfort, and that it was definitely coming from my back.

So at this point, you might be asking yourselves why I am not so sure about the doctor's opinion? Well, the main reason I have drunk alcohol as far back as I can remember is to relieve the stress of my job, and to a degree loneliness. I often work shifts and cannot unwind properly. I come home and my partner is asleep. I just sit there downstairs thinking about all the **** I've had to deal with that day, and it turns over and over in my mind until I have a drink then I suddenly feel relaxed, like a wave of serenity washing over me. I read the newspaper or a book for half an hour and suddenly I am ready to sleep.

When I quit, I still had these problems except I somehow summoned some inner strength which I never knew I had. When I was drinking regularly, it would be approaching the end of my shift and I would be thinking to myself "when I get home I'll have a few cold beers and forget all about this". When I quit I was thinking "when I get home I'll get straight into bed and cuddle my partner". This actually felt a hell of a lot better, and I can't work out why I didn't get my head sorted sooner.

So, in summary; I'm not sober. Will I ever be? Not sure. The fatty liver confirmation hasn't scared me as such, but I certainly don't want to get ill from liver disease. Perhaps I should be thankful that I've had an early warning, because whether I am dependent or not the amount of alcohol I have already drunk in my relatively short life so far cannot be a healthy thing.

Thank you for reading, and if you can answer any of my questions,
Old 08-16-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Seeing a doctor and getting honest with him or her is great! How about a second opinion? From what you've said here, it sounds to me like your current doctor may be clueless as to what addiction is.

Secondly, trust your gut. If you feel it's a problem and it's causing problems in your relationships ... that's a problem! Aside from any possible physical effects.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Welcome to SR by the way. Glad you found us.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Sasquatch

I had a lot of frustration trying to get help or discuss my drinking problem with doctors. They never really seemed overly concerned but I knew that all my nagging health problems were down to alcohol. I also knew that my relationship with alcohol was unhealthy because it was my relationship. You often hear it said that no one can tell you that you're an alcoholic (or alcohol dependent), but it is equally true that no one should be able to tell you that you're not.

I think that if you are concerned it would be worth giving up drinking completely and getting support to do so. It sounds like you're already aware of the benefits of sobriety and it will certainly be a benefit if you have fatty liver. I would have thought that'd be a good enough reason to quit as any.

Whatever you decide to do I'm sure you'll find lots of information and support here x
Old 08-16-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

PaperDolls and hypochondriac, thanks for your replies

I openly acknowledge that drink has already cost me more than just money.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Most people if told they had a fatty liver would quit drinking without asking anyone. When I was drinking though I'm not sure if I would. I really didn't care. I was (am ) addicted and wanted it that bad.
But you should stop. You have everything to gain and nothing to lose. Too bad there isn't a test that shows if were alcoholics or not. But there isn't.
But stop and think about it. You have been told you have a fatty liver,and you still want to drink. Your girlfriend doesn't like it,but you still want to drink.
To me those are a couple of red flags to seriously think about.
Fred
Old 08-16-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

Fatty liver, slightly sedentary lifestyle, poor nutrition and alcohol. Ouch.

Why not give up the alcohol if it's so easy to do so. It doesn't seem to be a problem, so just give it up completely. Then work on your nutrition. And increase exercising. Easy.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'd say I agree with your doctor, I don't think you are an alcoholic, but have depression issues and using the alcohol to self medicate.
I'd suggest perhaps seeking out a mental health professional and speak with them.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had a similar experience with my doctor that said my liver was fatty, etc...I kept drinking similar to what you described, but eventually it caught up to me. My health deteriorated and my body became physically dependent. So I quit and all my health problems went away. I think what you are going through is warning signs...eventually your body will say no more. I am in my 40s...my early signs started when I was in my late 30s. Having a drinking career is not worth it and is a waste of time and energy. Be careful and listen to your body...
Old 08-16-2012, 10:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Since it was easy for you to quit, it sounds like you just made a (bad) habit of having a few beers to unwind (as opposed to . Maybe your liver condition is due to the beers, maybe not. However, as others have said, quitting and replacing those beers with something else (cuddling, yoga, reading, whatever) that is healthier for you can't hurt! Good luck!
Old 08-17-2012, 04:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome

Glad to you regisered.

Great place to read and get support.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

sasquatch....

purpleperson...

I can't think of a single thing in my life that drinking improved...

Wishing both of you the best future sobriety can bring
Welcome to our recovery community .
Old 08-17-2012, 07:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

To be honest, you don't sound dependant on alcohol but you're really the best judge of that.

Either way, I know people with alcohol-induced fatty liver are advised to improve their diet so as not to put unnecessary stress on the liver while it recovers, so if it wasn't hard to stop drinking it might be a good idea to keep it up until your liver is back to normal.

In any case, improving my diet (or anything else which requires willpower) is a lot harder to do for me if I'm drinking. Plenty of people order pizza with beer but very few will make a salad and do a few push-ups...
Old 08-17-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

The DSM IV says I'm not an alcoholic.
Doctor said I drank a bit much.

I know I drank to self-medicate my anxiety & depression.

I know I am an alcoholic.

The 12 steps saved my life & took away my anxiety & depression.

Only you can decide if you are an alcoholic.

Best wishes,
Old 08-17-2012, 09:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

First of all, I think it's great that you chose to cut back on your drinking due to your partner being concerned about it. I always had the same concerns with my ex but he kept on drinking anyway which didn't do much to keep us together.

I wonder the same thing myself a lot and whether or not you want to slap the alcoholic label on yourself -- is there any real benefit to continuing to drink? If you can find other ways to relax then I would say ditch the booze altogether.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the varied responses, they have really helped me and made me think.

I've been pondering on whether I am an alcoholic or not... but I guess that is almost irrelevant because it doesn't matter; the harm that alcohol will cause (and already has caused) is the same regardless.

I have been sober for four days now. It was very hot today and I would have enjoyed a cold beer after work, but I didn't. I would love a beer, because I like the taste of it as well as the effect it has on me. However the inner feeling of pride of being sober currently feels better than that, I will try to use that to keep me going. Thanks again all

Edit - a few more questions that I have thought of since my original post...

Since I first quit about two months back, I have had more bad dreams than normal. Once, I woke up with my heart absolutely pounding and racing in my chest... could this actually be withdrawal symptoms? What about the slight discomfort in my upper right abdomen that my doc thinks is back pain?
Old 08-18-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

Alcohol disrupts REM sleep (dreaming) and SWS (slow wave sleep) (do your own search on: alcohol and sleep).

"Alcohol consumption can induce sleep disorders by disrupting the sequence and duration of sleep states and by altering total sleep time."

"Ethanol, the type of alcohol found in alcoholic drinks, can exacerbate sleep problems. During abstinence, sleep disruption is one the greatest predictors of ..."

Do a search on the human body and find out what organs are on the body's upper right abdomen area.

Alcohol is a major depressive narcotic. When we drink, we often stay in a delusional state of mind until we are free and clear of this (body and mind) for a substantial period of time.

Give time time and you will heal from it's effects.

Best wishes,
Old 08-18-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

[QUOTE=sasquatch;3538920] However the inner feeling of pride of being sober currently feels better than that, I will try to use that to keep me going QUOTE]

That feeling will increase and your sleep patterns will settle down over time. I am only 28 days in and the difference is amazing.....energy in the morning is a wonderful thing.

Keep it up, you are doing GREAT!
Old 08-19-2012, 12:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
"Ethanol, the type of alcohol found in alcoholic drinks, can exacerbate sleep problems. During abstinence, sleep disruption is one the greatest predictors of ..."
sb, I guessed the rest and I can relate to that completely.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

After my accident in February 1990 where
I ran off the road thru some construction
at 2 in the morning, hitting a concrete culvert
sitting on top the ground, less than a mile
from home, my first ride in the EMS to the
hospital that to this day, 22 yrs later, dont
remember, to not drinking alcohol for about
5 months while recoverying from my extensive
injuries cause I was on pain meds, to healing
very well, then to pick up a drink in August 1990,
being in the same club, coming home at 2AM,
to another argument, then to swallow a hand
full of pain pills to end my failure as a wife,
mother, not able to quit drinking, to just want
to die.

August 10th 1990, family saw red flags flying
high to realize my state of mind was not right.
So intervention took place and I was picked up
by the authorities and taken to a hospital for
evaluation.

No one ever suspected I had a drinking problem
nor did I because I hid it so well. Anyway, I passed
all the physcological test to find out I only had a
problem with drinking. That was the culprit of many of
my problems.

Solution to this was to stay in rehab in which I
did for 28 days with a 6 week outpatiant aftercare
program attached so I wouldnt be sent out of
state to a halfway house away from my little family.

In early recovery, after rehab, I sat in a many
many meetings, whinning to my sponsor or to
anyone who would listen to me, that I couldnt
be an alcoholic like so many I heard from in
those meetings. I wasnt like them. I wasnt an
in the gutter type drunk. I didnt loose my family,
home, car etc.

Still, i sat there and listened and absorbed all
I could about this program of recovery that was
to help me stay sober a day at a time.

That my friends was 22 yrs ago as I continue
on my recovery journey today passing on my
own experiences, strengths and hopes of what
my life was like before, during and after alcohol.
Helping those who are still struggling with addiction.

All I know is, I can't keep the rewards of the promises
granted to us as stated in the Big Book of AA if I dont
pass it on. And in doing so, today I am happy, joyous
and free in recovery.

So can you.