Notices

Newly Sober . . . again. Exhausted!

Old 08-16-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newly Sober . . . again. Exhausted!

I am 3 days sober this time. I did get sober at the beginning of the year (42 days). This time around, I'm not really craving sweets or alcohol. I am just absolutely exhausted. A part of me thinks it's due to my body finally getting rest. I was burning the candle at both ends quite well.

I'm eating healthy, taking a multi-vitamin, lots of green tea. I have heard others mention I should get a good B vitamin. I plan on doing that tomorrow when I go to the store.

But has anyone else dealt with this? I am literally completely drained and I am not used to this.

Michelle
Old 08-16-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Many of us have gone thru de toxing from alcohol.
Mine lasted 3 full days ..hope yours continues to run smoothly..

Welcome back...
Old 08-16-2012, 07:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back Michelle. Hope you stay this time.

Drinking excessivly and constantly does things to your body that it takes time to recover from. Vitamim B is a good idea. I'd suggest C as well since they're both stress vitamins.

Alcohol contains mega amounts of sugar. I like sugar in my coffee and I drink lots of coffee. When I tried for a while to cut sugar out toally I literally had withdrawal symptoms. Of course, I'd rather give in somewhat to a craving for sweets than to alcohol.

Your plan for eating properly and mega-dosing on vitamins is an excellent. Drink lots of water too. Those drinks that have lots of electrolytes added that runners use are excellent and some even taste good too.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep- just remember we are learning to listen to our bodies again.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I quit back in February, I remember just being really cranky, brain fog and very emotional.

This time, it's different. I fought for months to get my financial aid to go through for school so I can finish the last 1 1/2 years of my degree. It finally went through. My best friend and I have fallen in love. My girls are doing amazing.

And I'm sitting here knowing, I have to quit. I HAVE TO. For the first real time in my life, I have everything to lose if I don't.

And I am so incredibly sad. Sad that this disease will be stronger than me and I'll lose everything.

Crazy thinking. I quit before. I can do it again. Going to put my tail between my legs and go back to AA.

My daughter told me yesterday "I can always tell when you're drinking again. You look different. Tired. Lifeless. Sober, you glow. I like it when you glow"

Silly me, thinking I was hiding this from anyone.

Anyway, taking it easy right now. Lots of water. Lots of tea. Trying to eat healthy and also, give in a little to my sugar cravings.

Glad I found this place.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Michelle:

Keep drinking lots of water, not just to hydrate your system, but also to purge the toxins. Sports drinks with electrolytes are also a good idea, as others have mentioned.

With vitamins, talk to your pharmacist for assistance. Let them know what meds and herbal supplements you are using. You might want to casually mention that you're cutting back/stopping alcohol and heard that B complex vitamins might be good.

Sounds like your head is in a good place for this right now and you're moving in the right direction. I'll be cheering you on!
Old 08-16-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I remember the tired days. Sounds like you are busy with kids, classes, etc but if possible, please just rest. Consider a break or a nap your little reward for taking these good and healthy steps. You'll glow all the more!

Old 08-16-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

One thing that really helped me were showers and some exercise! This combined with your healthy diet should rid you body of any toxins and get you functionality back in business .

One other thing that helped me in the beginning was setting small goals for myself. Do not try to set big ones, because then if we don't succeed we get doen on ourselves and then...back to the bottle. Set small goals like stretching in the morning (stretching releases a lot of toxins from you body and can also provide a nice increase in energy), going for a walk at night, reading a chapter of a good book at night, ect. Accomplishing small goals such as these provides small releases of serotonin to help you stay in a good mood while staying sober as well. I hope this helps!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissyShelle76 View Post
When I quit back in February, I remember just being really cranky, brain fog and very emotional.

This time, it's different. I fought for months to get my financial aid to go through for school so I can finish the last 1 1/2 years of my degree. It finally went through. My best friend and I have fallen in love. My girls are doing amazing.

And I'm sitting here knowing, I have to quit. I HAVE TO. For the first real time in my life, I have everything to lose if I don't.

And I am so incredibly sad. Sad that this disease will be stronger than me and I'll lose everything.

Crazy thinking. I quit before. I can do it again. Going to put my tail between my legs and go back to AA.

My daughter told me yesterday "I can always tell when you're drinking again. You look different. Tired. Lifeless. Sober, you glow. I like it when you glow"

Silly me, thinking I was hiding this from anyone.

Anyway, taking it easy right now. Lots of water. Lots of tea. Trying to eat healthy and also, give in a little to my sugar cravings.

Glad I found this place.
Hello Missy:
Your decision to return to AA is probably the best. It worked for me.
Today's "24hrs a Day" says it best IMHO http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...hours-day.html

All the best.

Bob R