Notices

This can't be healthy

Old 08-13-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This can't be healthy

Like the title says, but I've got 3 new best friends to ward off the beast with. They're Little Debby Nutty Bars, Cold Pepsi and coffee.. Coffee starts my day and when I get the urge for a beer I grab a Pepsi and a Nutty Bar,believe it or not this really helps me but I gotta find something else I don't need to be gaining wait. And not only that my wife and mom keep asking what I'm drinking because the pop is in a can koozie to keep it cold. And I hate it when they ask because it just brings back those shameful reminders..
Old 08-13-2012, 12:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Pepsi Please!

I'm a pepsi fan too, my rational is: when I drink a pepsi, I usually don't drink a 12 pack in one evening. I remember things I said the next morning. I feel more like getting a little exercise, too burn off my extra calories. My alcohol had lots of calories too! Oh yes, I never felt like even moving after a "big drinking night" So glad you are here on SR! Take care!
Old 08-13-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Right there with you, since stopping drinking i crave sweet things , coffee with 3 sugars has taken the place of vodka and chocolate sooths my cravings . Ive actually put weight on , not good since i need to lose 20lbs . Oh well its better than being pissed and wont kill me .
Good luck finding a healthy alternative .
Old 08-13-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah- make it transitional. When I first quit drinking I ate ice cream every night no matter what, for a while- then finally tired of it..but it helped.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I craved sweets like never before. Chocolate & even lollipops. It all settled down after a few months - but the ice cream obsession never left me like it did Muunray.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have the sugar cravings as well. Try pepsi max and trail mix with dried fruit in it. Has worked great for me since I got sober last month. Also, every time you go to reach for a snack hit the floor and nail as many pushups and sit-ups as you can. Gets you healthy and curbs the craving at the same time. Good luck.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

ice cream. sherbert. I just finished several containers (over this summer) of home made ice cream from my friends' Ice Cream (sober) Social they have every year. I've been in ice cream heaven and I've enjoyed every second of it! I hate to find out what my cholesterol is now....
Old 08-13-2012, 08:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have become a coffee addict! Maybe the word addict isn't right, haha. I put lots of ice and sweet & low in it and all it does is make me less tired at the end of the day. You go ahead and eat your sweets, it's much better than alcohol!
Old 08-19-2012, 11:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
God's work in progress

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
It all settled down after a few months - but the ice cream obsession never left me like it did Muunray.
oh, this is no not encouraging to read, lol. I have the ice cream obsession too...seven months sober and I still have to have it every night!
Old 08-19-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I figured that it was better to put on a few pounds for a while (Peanut Butter, Cheese, & Chorizo sandwiches, Ummmmmm! ) if it helped me not to drink. . . . I piled on 18lb in 2 months , but are after establishing a meaningful period of sobriety I got my wobbly lard ass off the couch and started some hard exercise, and am now back to my less lardy self. . EAT YOURSELF SOBER !
Old 08-19-2012, 12:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hexipuff

I craved sweet stuff when I was first sober. I was actually advised to keep my blood sugars up and eat what I fancied for a bit. Gradually (as others have said) and once I started working my sobriety I didn't need the sweet stuff. As sobriety truely kicked in my energy levels rose and I now go swimming or to the gym four times a week and the dog is well walked.
Now I eat loads of healthy food and some rubbish too but with the exercise it doesn't worry me.
Like others have said you will find your way and as long as you're not drinking well life's good isn't it.

With respect to others asking what you are drinking - well it kind of goes with the territory doesn't. We have to earn trust back from those around us. Again as sobriety time passes no one will ask anymore

Congratulations on your journey so far