Notices

Swollen legs....

Old 08-10-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Swollen legs....

So here we go again. First off, I am going to the Doctor next week. I cannot remember the name of what the swelling in my legs is. Anyhow, my calves are starting to get swollen and hurt again (they have never gotten completely better but have improved drastically since I have been out of the hospital). I started a new job about 3 months ago and before that I had not worked in 11 months and got this job here not long after I had gotten out of the hospital. Well, I do stand a lot and I do work a lot of hours so it did not surprise me when my legs felt like this right when I had started working again. Well, they started getting better and were not doing this as bad at all as I had gotten used to working again and all of a sudden this week they feel like they did right when I started working at this place. I have not drank and again, I have not changed medication or anything. Does anyone else suffer from this problem? When does it completely go away or does it? The swelling is actually in my calves. They get hard and reddish colored and they ache like a feverish ache (not so bad that I am miserable) but I do not feel like I have a fever. Does this make sense? UGH... Hard to explain. Thank you for listening. Anything that anyone has to offer is greatly appreciated. Thank you all.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Zee

Hi there
Yes, I had that, its called edema. If you push your swollen skin with your finger, does this leave a dip in your skin that takes a while to bounce back?

My legs were very swollen, and they felt numb, tingly and painful at the same time (a bit like flu)

I would recommend a trip to your doctors.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When I was working long hours on my feet...my doctor suggested
I take lukewarm baths with epsom salts...
give up useing "regular" salt and use support hose...

I've been useing Mortons Lite Salt for years now
The 'regular" is way too strong tasteing for me.

Of course ...this may not be what your doctor wants you to do.
Glad you are checking with her/him soon.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Zee

Hi again
I've just had a read through your previous posts and it seems you have the same problems as I had a year ago, Edema (swollen legs), ascites (fluid on stomach-I also had mine drained, 6.5 litres) hair on head thinning, hair on body thinning, muscle loss, breathlessness, aching all over, no menstral cycle. Well thats liver disease (which you already know you have- well you wrote that you had liver failure (?) stage 4. Not sure how they would know this without a biopsy though) This is an umbrella term for the liver. Have you had an endoscopy? This is usually routine to see whether you have portal hypertension (varices) Have you had an ultrasound, to see the general appearance of your liver? I had all of the above and I stopped drinking straight away. I have also stayed stopped. I suggest you do the same as your liver is unable to process anything fast enough, therefore, leaking toxic fluid into your legs (this is why your legs feel like they have the flu). You also already know this as you said that you were on water tablets. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND you get back to your doctors asap. AND DO NOT DRINK...EVER!!!!!!! I know we shouldn't give out medical advice here and I don't think I am (mods, please delete anything that may be too medical). I'm just saying that I believe you've got what I've got. I have a year sober this month and I have good hair growth again, gaining weight, feeling better generally, not so achy or itchy (I was itchy after about 3 months). Sorry if I sound harsh, but emotions have to be put aside when it becomes physical. You can to worry about problems when you have a long term and permanent plan for sobriety. Thats is the only priority. You can start feeling better. It takes time and persevererance. I wish you loads of luck, please PM me if you have any questions x
Old 08-10-2012, 05:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

you should call your doctor again and tell them exactly your symptoms, you need to be seen ASAP. too much fluid makes your hear work harder than it has to.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

Glad you are talking to your doc. I love Castor oil packs for anything that I need healing on.