Notices

Genetics?

Old 08-10-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Genetics?

I'm sure this must have been discussed before but ....

Are genetics a factor in alcoholism? I know some say yes, some say no. I come form a long line of aloholics, both paternal and maternal. My mother is anti alcohol, but her father (my grandfather obviously) is an alcoholic. My father was a severe alcoholic all his life and died from cancer caused by his alcoholism. His father was an alcoholic and so on.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know the answer to this question, but my thoughts are yes. I have no scientific understanding of it, however many people on SR seem to have family members who are also alcoholics, and I am one of them. My family is full of alcoholics. My mother is an alcoholic, my mother's sister is an alcoholic, my grandmother is an alcoholic. Weirdly, my grandmother's first husband (my mother and her sister's father) was an alcoholic too. Those who aren't alcoholics in my family drink too much, aside from my sister who unbelievably is a very normal drinker and sometimes I can't believe how she managed it.

I'm sure you'll get proof based answers soon, and I'll look forward to reading them!
Old 08-10-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One theory is that there's a abnormality in the genes governing the liver, which causes alcohol to be processed differently. You can read about some of that in the "Under the Influence" excerpts posted on SR.

Of course, people can become addicted without any family history if it. And once you're an alcoholic, it's kind of moot. What really matters is what happens moving forward...
Old 08-10-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

There is on going research on this subject.
As far as I know...there is not an exact answer as yet.

When one thinks of genetics...some are obvious
but there is an unknown factor to be considered..
recessive genes.

One theory is that there's a abnormality in the genes governing the liver, which causes alcohol to be processed differently. You can read about some of that in the "Under the Influence" excerpts posted on SR.
I used that info mentioned above to help me understand
why I often drank again after I decided to quit.

I'm sure everyone has their own thoughts on "Why me"
I'd rather concentrate on my sucessful recovery ...
Old 08-10-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I was always taught by my sober, alcoholic father that it was genetic. He told all the kids, when we were old enough, that it could be genetic and we should be careful. He never told us not to drink, just be mindful. My mother is also an alcoholic.

Out of the three kids, I'm the only one who has been to rehab and is a member of AA. I think at least one other could use it but I'm not sure.

I certainly don't blame my alcoholism on my parents. It may have contributed but mostly, I think I did.

How is your sobriety coming? I know you were struggling with your husbands views on this. Do you want to be sober?