Notices

Cold Turkey - where I'm at

Old 08-09-2012, 04:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cold Turkey - where I'm at

quick recap: been drinking every night for the last 5 - 7 years but really ramped up in the last 2 years: half or nearly half a 750ml of liquor. Haven't had a drink since Saturday evening (so I'm on my fifth day) and man its tough...I've experienced all of the hallmarks: insomnia, lack of focus, depression, extreme irritability, and of course the cravings; fortunately they only hit hard in the late afternoon/early evening (i.e. now, which is why I felt compelled to write)....I was SOO tempted to pick up a bottle on the way home last night but instead picked up some food, I find that eating greatly diminishes my drinking desire.

anyway, when I've woken up each morning since Sunday (not that I've really slept) I feel good that I didn't give in but at the same time, I feel impatient to really feel normal again...I feel no joy in anything, and don't feel like spending time with friends or family or doing much of anything...I'm just "existing"...booze at least gave me some relief and happiness however fleeting.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I know the feeling, I've been through it. I must say however alcohol withdrawal is dangerous in heavy stages, you may have wanted to speak to a doctor before going off it so suddenly such as cold turkey... but if you want to kick it that badly, I do applaud you truly... I wish I had that devotion.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi dwightwin

There's no getting around it..early recovery is rough...but if you think about it...you drank for years, right? Give your mind and body a change to recuperate a little.

Of course, see a Dr if you feel poorly or are concerned about anything.

This thread may give you an idea of what some of us have gone through and what we did in the first days:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

welcome to SR

D
Old 08-09-2012, 04:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know you are heading into a sober healthier future...
Congratulations and Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum...
Old 08-09-2012, 06:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm no doctor, but I would classify those symptoms as mild to moderate.

You only drank half a fifth a night...Which is a lot...but I used to drink 30oz a night of whiskey. When I tried to quit I got all of your symptoms plus extreme shakiness, confusion, delirium, and hallucinations.

Fortunately in my country detoxes and rehab are free. I went to detox for 9 days back in May and the stories I heard from other addicts were incredible. Hopefully I was scared straight.

I learned from my addictions counselor that those cravings and thoughts like "I can't exist without alcohol" are just the addicted part of you trying to trick the sober part of you into drinking. You must ignore them with all of your power and do constructive things.

For me it took a few weeks before I could say I'm starting to feel better. Now I feel a lot better. It's been over 3 months.

I also abused benzodiazepines and weed daily. Quit those too. Benzo withdrawal is pretty much the same as alcohol withdrawal. It just isn't quite as intense but it lasts much much longer. At least from my standpoint.

Time heals all wounds. I'm guessing it'll be a few more months before I feel normal. At least I can function in society now though.

Give it a few more weeks and you'll really start feeling better.

Stay tough, stay strong, and stay away from the devilish drink.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks all for the words and support, yeah, I didn't have any extreme physical withdrawal but like you said, I was drinking A LOT but not to the point of physical dependency...yet. Im def. an alcohol abuser, so i guess I'm trying to nip this in the bud before I get on the proverbial downward trajectory to rock bottom. Right now, it's just dealing with depression and, well, the boredom that goes with stopping drinking..