Notices

'Happy' Medium?

Old 08-07-2012, 12:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question 'Happy' Medium?

Is it just me, or do/have ya'll experienced this? For me, there isn't/never has been a 'tipsy good middle ground' I'm either stone cold sober, or black out drunk- trashed. There has never been a 'happy drunk medium' (.. at least that I can remember) It has always been either I was one hundred and ten percent gone, or one hundred percent straight sober ... but never an in between. Numerous friends have commented in the past on how I would be 'normal' at bars or wherever I was with them, then within a minute or two, I was completely drunk beyond recognition.

I think maybe because once I have a sip, I chug it all, everything goes down & hits all at one time? Who knows, just seeing if I'm alone in this or not...

Thoughts?
Thanks.
SFA.TX.AD.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think most people would identify with this.

I had two speeds...'off' or 'yer kidding...right?'

D
Old 08-07-2012, 01:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Unfortunately i was exactly the same, it was like flicking a light switch. One second i would be absolutely fine, the next i would be a wreck!
Old 08-07-2012, 02:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
instant

Originally Posted by Texas21SFASU View Post
I was one hundred and ten percent gone, or one hundred percent straight sober ... but never an in between. .
presumably your blood alcohol may have told a different story. Certainly took me more alcohol to get drunk once things progressed. I think this may be called (behavioural) tolerance.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I believe this is true for many people.

Personally, I never blacked out, but it was probably only a matter of time before that started happening if I didn't quit. I COULD stop at 3-4, but I never really liked doing that. Then, I was more comfortable having 6+.

Now, I am more comfortable having none. :-)
Old 08-07-2012, 03:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I stopped having the tipsy feeling years ago due to gulping vodka down as fast as possible because i was hiding it from everyone around me .Spent a good part of a year in blackout , ive found i still gulp drinks non alcoholic might i say even now.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yup ... it's that first drink that'll get ya.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 08-07-2012, 06:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Oh yea.. I was the queen of "just one more" even if I could barely slur the words to say it. SO happy to be free from that madness and obsession/compulsion now. Crazy stuff, isn't it?
Old 08-07-2012, 01:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That is the essence of what makes an alcoholic or not. The alcoholic has no "off" switch, once that first sip goes down, it's drink yourself into oblivion time.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful AA member

You arent alone its the main symptom of alcoholics we cant just have one drink because we crave more its an allergy our bodies cannot handle and never will be able to handle one drink. You arent alone.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My first 10 or 15 years I was a happy drunk, then it got steadily worse as the disease progressed. The last few years have been: Sober...Power-drink...Blackout. No more happy drunk in-between. They told me that would happen in rehab 20 years ago, but I didn't believe them. I believe them now.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

l had a fine buzz for years..
Then l started forgetting things..
And then a lot of things went down the drain.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Peaches2012 View Post
I stopped having the tipsy feeling years ago due to gulping vodka down as fast as possible because i was hiding it from everyone around me .Spent a good part of a year in blackout , ive found i still gulp drinks non alcoholic might i say even now.
That was me as well...
Old 08-10-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

The first drink or two would give me a nice buzz, but then I'd keep going. I'd be fine and then it was like it would all hit at once and then BOOM, I would be in a blackout. Horrible feeling, huh?
Old 08-10-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Agreed Desertsong.

On my recent slip I had two beers and studied it with a semi-scientific mind.

Two beers and I had a pleasant buzz. After about 20 minutes it started to wear off.

"That's the point," I thought. "That's the point where most people stop, where the buzz wears off and you realize you don't need anymore. And in case, you can't catch that buzz again.

"Don't chase it," I thought, "And you'll be a normal drinker."

And then proceeded to chase it madly down. Never did come back, either.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Che

For some people it is like gambling. If they have no set the amount they are bringing beforehand (or even the amount they will have on hand at all during the night), they have trouble keeping track of just how much has been used.

You feel good and you keep saying 'one more won't hurt,' but all it really takes it one more over to make you feel like ****. Even worse, before you feel like **** you can get several drinks over in 10 minutes before the effects really come to you.

For some people it's best to avoid such decisions all together and just set the number at zero. Especially if they want something alcohol can't do, because that 'tipsy, sorta happy' feeling is all it can offer, and drinking more won't erase problems or increase elation, it'll just make you feel sick.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Peaches2012 View Post

That was me on many occasions due to the fact the family hated me to drink, so I was drinking so much more and fast in 'hiding'... Go out to the garage for a smoke and down a beer or two in 5 or 10 minutes tops. Funny thing was I was never really 'hiding' anything, everyone new...
Old 08-10-2012, 06:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

i never had a happy medium drinking. even though, from the time i took my 1st drink to the time i stopped i had breif times without alcohol, i wasnt sober either. just dry.

the reason being is i am an alcoholic. thats what i did when i drank.
it was when i got to the point of desperation, admitted to myself that alcohol was the problem in my life, i wanted to stop and stay stopped, found a great solution in AA, learned how to stay stopped and became sober.