Notices

What I'd compare alcohol to.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What I'd compare alcohol to.

if i had to compare alcohol to anything to someone who wouldnt understand, id say it was like their first true love . you never really get over your first. you have this attachment that you cant fight off. there is this irreplaceable bond we have . which is why people become so deppressed, or even suicidal when someone dies, or someone leaves you. you take that person or that object you have and irreplaceable bond with away, and you have nothing....
you take my bottle away, and i have nothing...
Old 08-06-2012, 11:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR

The analogy is a good one...but I think many of us do get over our first love - especially if that love is an abusive one.

My bottle used to be my everything too - now I can see it was keeping me from everything....

It's a big step to let go...it's a leap of faith, but I'm glad I did. I never regretted it

You're not alone. We understand
you'll find a lot of support here madremiabella

D
Old 08-06-2012, 11:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Getting over the FIRST true love is difficult, but possible. When the love begins to destroy you, it is a choice that needs to be made. Stay with the love and die a little more each day, or break free and have a chance at life. Take care and welcome to SR
Old 08-07-2012, 01:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
welcome to SR

The analogy is a good one...but I think many of us do get over our first love - especially if that love is an abusive one.

My bottle used to be my everything too - now I can see it was keeping me from everything....It's a big step to let go...it's a leap of faith, but I'm glad I did. I never regretted it

You're not alone. We understand
you'll find a lot of support here madremiabella

D
That is just such a good way of putting it!!
Old 08-07-2012, 06:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thank you. its such a long road ahead of me, but im not the only one struggling, and if their are others who have made it, i know i can as well.(:
Old 08-07-2012, 10:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's not really a long road, just think in terms of one day at a time. Then the goal to not drink is much more attainable.

You are right, I have almost 9 years sober and if I can do it you surely can.

Dave

Ps I got over my first love in about two weeks!
Old 08-08-2012, 04:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by madremiabella View Post
if i had to compare alcohol to anything to someone who wouldnt understand, id say it was like their first true love . you never really get over your first. you have this attachment that you cant fight off. there is this irreplaceable bond we have . which is why people become so deppressed, or even suicidal when someone dies, or someone leaves you. you take that person or that object you have and irreplaceable bond with away, and you have nothing....
welp, you may not get over it, but i did. but it didnt happen by doin the same things over and over expecting different results.the depression i suffered wasnt because of the bond i had with anyhting. it was the way i was living and using alcohol, the great depressant, to make me feel better. it was insane.

"you take my bottle away, and i have nothing"

if i am the "you" you are talkin about, i aint gonna take your bottle away and i highly doubt theres anyone else thats gonna do it.

you may want to stop using the word you when ya talk and type and start using the word i it puts the weight of the problem where it is.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Zee

If you can learn to compare alcohol to toilet cleaner then thats a step in the right direction. Both are equally poisonous. Good luck to you
Old 08-08-2012, 04:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

It may be the case early on. Just over a year down the track it is very different. I now think of it as an addictive toxin that overtook my emotional system without me knowing. I was hooked for years, now I am unhooked. I felt raw for a while now I feel free.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i like to compare alcohol to "the devil". how else can it be explained that we can put five shots of straight booze in a glass, with a splash of Coke, and have it taste like iced tea! what?
Old 08-08-2012, 07:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I prefer to think of alcohol as a toxic liquid..
.because it certainly was for me....
By the end of my drinking I was a depressed mental mess.
I detested the woman I had become from alcohol.

Yes you too can win over alcohol....quitting
was the best thing I ever did.

Welcome....