Notices

Cooking with alcohol

Old 08-07-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not about living life on eggshells for me.
It's about respecting my addiction and accepting I'm a non drinker.

I know the way my mind works...'in for a penny in for a pound'...
'hey...nothing bad happened there... so...'

if I accommodate alcohol in my life in the kitchen, the door is open, even just a millimeter, to me soon accommodating it in other aspects of my life.

I've learned, through experience, never to underestimate the insidious of my addictive appetite.

I nearly died from my drinking.

To live the live I live now, not using alcohol in cooking is so ridiculously low a price to pay I never think about it except in threads like these

Your mileage may vary.

D
Old 08-08-2012, 04:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

See now is it the booze or the brain to blame? That is the rub......
Old 08-08-2012, 06:19 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
See now is it the booze or the brain to blame? That is the rub......
I like the way Joe and Charlie explain the first step. 1. We have an allergy. If we get even a small amount of alcohol in us we can't stop ourselves from drinking more. 2. We have a mental compulsion that insures that without help we will drink alcohol.

1 is booze 2 is brain.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

The only allergic reaction I have to Alcohol is that when I drink it I break out........ in Handcuffs. Just sayin.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

From a culinary point of view, some dishes just aren't the same without a red wine-based sauce, I'm thinking particularly of tongue. I've never found beer to be a positive addition to a recipe though.

Can't comment on deserts since I don't like sweets (save a few exceptions).

As far as sobriety goes, I like what Jfanagle said. I don't remember ever chugging sauce.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I use to love making beer can chicken on the grill. I'm not even going to think about doing that again.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:45 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Your call of course, but there is not even a tiniest bit of alcohol in that chicken. We make choices for all sorts of excellent reasons but they aren't always logical.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:15 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Freshstart, I know there would be no alcohol in the chicken, but for now it would be best if I'm in no contact any with beer.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Someguy23 View Post
From a culinary point of view, some dishes just aren't the same without a red wine-based sauce ...
Yes! My tomato sauce for spaghetti just isn't the same with malt vinigar. It's good. but different. Cooking wine doesn't make the cut either. Only a good chianti. My solution is to make the sauce in a huge pot and use the entire bottle as soon as I get in the door and cook it till tomorrow. LOL I freeze the sauce and have my cake and eat it too. No booze though!
Old 08-09-2012, 04:48 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by myself
From a culinary point of view, some dishes just aren't the same without a red wine-based sauce
In the interest of honesty, I should have admitted I don't know how to make any of those dishes, I only know how to eat them.

My standard meal is made by throwing everything I have in the fridge into a pot and boiling it all together, so the question of whether or not I cook with fine chianti is rather academic...
Old 08-09-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never had a pasta sauce with alcohol in it - even when I was drinking...

tastewise, I reckon you guys are missing out on some great non alcoholic alternatives

D
Old 08-09-2012, 05:26 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I made a roast beef au jus recently in the slow cooker (I assume 7 hours of cooking cooked out all alcohol). I cooked with with Abita Amber. The au jus had a sweet (but yummy) taste. I am going to go out on a limb and say it was the alcohol that made it taste sweet bc none of the other ingredients could have done that. I'm not an expert chef so I could be wrong but my normal roast recipe is without beer and has no sweet taste at all.
Maybe the alcohol in red sauce is for sweetness, but for marinara, plain ol' granulated sugar is what I use.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:59 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

It is my opinion that it is all about my intent. I absolutely love bourbon in my sweet-potatoes, or a schnapps in a cream sauce to go over shrimp.
I also take a lot of Flower Essences, which I use to get the ones preserved in vinegar, but now I am getting the ones preserved in brandy. I take a lot of them, so the vinegar ones are ok, but they tend to make me feel a little sick sometimes.

It is not my intent to drink any of those recipes down, nor would I ever drink my Essences, but if I had the thought to, then I would have to rethink my sobriety plan. I would have to make sure my connection with my HP was stronger again, so that I could continue to take my Flower Essences. They have helped me so much throughout my alcoholism, I have no idea what I would do without them.

It is all about intent.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

thanks for helping

seems to me there are two quesitons here, those who eat desert and one who does the cooking, i find the latter dangerous for i bought a small bottle of brandy for mince meat pie for thanksgiving, tossed it all in, but but was about to go to go buy more for the sauce and the cook, too. I can smell it as the mince meat cooks away. Fortunately the liquor store closes in 45 minutes, and i think i will make if today. glad you folks were here for me.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by todd6138 View Post
I din't realize it until I was informed, but even Diet colas with aspartame have traces of wood alcohol which for me, did trigger a craving. I was drinking it all day and couldn't figure it out.. Just sayin..
Sorry to bump an old topic but I think I am having the same problem, except I have gone through withdrawal recently and I feel trace amounts of alcohol in food/drink is resetting/worsening my withdrawals. I have not drink in almost 4 months and still feel awful a lot of the time.