# 21 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

EternalWinter...

Welcome to our recovery community
Old 08-09-2012, 06:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

VioletFlame:

Keep going...you're doing great!

From what I have read, the physical withdrawal from alcohol lasts approximately 7 days, with the peak around 72 hours. You have passed the worst part of the physical withdrawal and are nearing the end of bodily discomfort.

The next phase is going to be dealing with the psychological dependence, which for most people seems to be the hardest part. The stronger your resolve not to drink, the less likely you are to drink. Listen to yourself, who wants to never drink again, and kick the beast in the butt every time it tries to speak to you.

Way to go!
Old 08-09-2012, 08:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

THIS is a post I wrote on the class of August last night. Unfortunately I drank wine yesterday and I guess I have no excuse. I am having trouble with the Rational Recovery book. It is hard to get through and part of me is wondering is it really that easy? I don''t know if that is my addictive voice or not but sometimes it is the only voice I hear. I also see how is undermines AA which I myself haven't given a full chance too. I don't want to end up in recovery for life as the author of RR puts it. But alcohol is going to be around for the rest of my life too isn't it? I finally accepted that I am an alcoholic and the book says not to accept that? I am a bit confused. I know I cannot drink normally as I have tried many times and failed. But the AV is still stronger than I am. Unfortunately on day 5 and gave in to 3 glasses of wine this afternoon. I feel bad but at the same time I don't want to start getting into a downward spiral of guilt because that will only cause me to downward spiral again. i am looking into the SMART recovery and I like what I have read, however the nearest live meeting is an hour away. So I don't know what to do. Give in and go to AA or keep trying to white knuckle these cravings which I obviously do not always succeed in doing. Some advice would be much appreciated.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Hi violetflame,

Sorry to hear your news. I hope things improve ASAP.

You know, AA and RR both work for me. They are, however, entirely different experiences, and I don't compare one with the other. I do nonetheless enjoy the results of my extensive work and efforts with both. Confusion can arise when comparisons abound. Comparisons can be avoided with careful insight into our own psyches.

At the end of the day, each of us must be responsible to our own selves. The buck must stop with us.

Since it is widely accepted that both AA and AVRT work well, don't sweat which is the "correct" choice, is my advice. Either choice will bring good results, so what is more important, is what works best for you to absolutely not drink anymore... and so, you decide all of that, for yourself. Be assured, either choice will work. It's really your call.

Good to see you sharing!
Old 08-09-2012, 09:51 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

VF:

You drank wine last night. Did you get drunk? If not, you made a very, very small slip, but caught yourself, which is a great thing! If you did get drunk, you slipped for one day. Today is a new day and you can stay sober.

I wish that RR had been written in a different way. Your confusion is understandable; he is challenging so much of what we have come to accept as an understanding of addiction. Those things that he is trying to bash down are basically anything that will remotely feed into weakness or lack of control associated with addiction. His approach is based on responsibility for one's actions, inner strength and self determination. For his approach to work, he seems to feel that you have to dismiss anything that is contrary to the foundations of his program otherwise doubt may exist that can feel the Beast and weaken the inner voice.

Keep exploring and asking questions until you find something that feels comfortable for you and gives you confidence that it will work. It may be a mix of different things; once you have more confidence in your plan, you will be more successful in achieving sobriety.

Slim