Notices

Help With Dui & Consequences....

Old 08-05-2012, 12:10 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

metalchick, I don't want it to seem that drunk driving is "no biggie". I didn't drive "buzzed" but extremely, dangerously drunk/high every day. I just want to point out to people that life goes on. I felt so much shame and remorse from alcoholism that I changed my way of thinking. It always led me back to a drink. Which led to yet another bottom. The last 1.5 yrs I have done better because I'm tired of society making judgements of me. I'm not a bad person because I don't respect people who have no respect for me.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by Change4good View Post
Once you get behind the wheel drunk, and potentially kill someone, you are no longer a law abiding citizen. You deserve to be in handcuffs.
I am glad you are done with it. Three DUIs is more than enough.
The key word is "potentially". Yet people act as if I did kill someone driving drunk. You shouldn't be judged based on crimes that "could of" happened.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:18 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

You have done it THREE times. Don't expect any sympathy or empathy or even compassion. And YES, you are judged because it didn't just happen once, it happened THREE times. I'm amazed that you just seem to gloss over that point. You had at least THREE chances to kill someone and it's pure luck that you are a lousy shot! You were caught three times, but how many times were you not caught??
Old 08-05-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

suki44883

"I truly believe anyone who gets more than one DUI should lose their license for life and go to prison for several years. Sound harsh? Yeah, maybe, but if you lose the "game" and kill someone, they have lost their life and don't get a second chance. Alcoholism may be a disease, but putting innocent people's lives in danger takes it to a whole new level."

Not sure I agree with that. What about people who are barely at a .05 ? What about people that do their makeup, text, talk on the phone, take medications, smoke weed etc... while driving. Should they suffer the same punishment?

I hate to say it but with my alcohol tolerance 2 beers in an hour did not render me incapable of driving, and I did the drink BAC calculator. 2 reg 12 oz beers in an hour put me at .061

OK, I am bracing myself for you guys letting me have it after saying that ....
Old 08-05-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
The key word is "potentially". Yet people act as if I did kill someone driving drunk. You shouldn't be judged based on crimes that "could of" happened.
Laws are there for exactly that... to protect people based on crimes that "could of" happened.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
You have done it THREE times. Don't expect any sympathy or empathy or even compassion. And YES, you are judged because it didn't just happen once, it happened THREE times. I'm amazed that you just seem to gloss over that point. You had at least THREE chances to kill someone and it's pure luck that you are a lousy shot! You were caught three times, but how many times were you not caught??
They estimate that for every DUI someone gets caught they drove around 75 times without getting caught. I think thats a bit on the low end though. I had one minor accident but it did not result in any injuries. Suki, you act shocked so I have to ask if you attend AA meetings? Because I have met many folks with more dui's than me. I know a guy who is sober today that has 10 dui's in 3 different states. He will never be able to legally drive again.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

What does the fact that you know people who have more DUIs than you have to do with me attending AA? I also know people who have more DUIs than you. Do YOU attend AA?
Old 08-05-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

JF1,

I understand what you mean about trying to let go of the guilt and shame. It is not easy, and we know trying to drink it away was our answer before(Oh the viscous cycle). To me the fact that people get a number of DUIs shows the horrid effects of alcoholism. I have done some pretty F-uped things while drinking, that had harsh consequences, but still continued to drink.. so there is no way I can judge
Old 08-05-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

suki, since I'm a real alcoholico I cannot say for sure that I will not drink & drive again. I surely hope not. But I'm certainly nt scared to get another one. I think I got use to living in jail, hospitals or rehab programs. I think I feel more at home incarcerated than I do in normal society. In the last 1.5yrs I have been sober 95% of the time. So I am making progress.
Are you kidding me? You have 3 DUI's and you aren't sure you will not drink & drive again? Why don't you buy an antilock and breathalyzer in your car? So the rest of us will be safe. You are pretty pompous with your attitude towards DUI. Only because you got off easy. Glad I don't live in the mid east USA.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

metal, it's ironic that the solution to our problems is also the causes. I use to say I was like a hamster on his play wheel. Always spinning.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

kissmytiera, no I can't promise I won't drive drunk or high again because I'm an alcoholic. I cannot predict what will happen when I pick up the first one. I can predict that whatever happens won't be good though. I suppose, in addition, to helping others dealing with a current dui, I was looking for people to relate. Instead I get judgements made about me.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:37 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Cool

1) "...since I'm a real alcoholic I cannot say for sure that I will not drink & drive again..."

2) "...I can't promise I won't drive drunk or high again because I'm an alcoholic..."

3) "... I cannot predict what will happen when I pick up the first one..."

What a load of hooey!!!

Regarding #'s 1&2 above, I'm an alcoholic; yes, I'm even a real aloholic, and I CAN say FOR SURE that I will never drink and drive/drive drunk again.....

Which leads me to #3.....I am a recovered alcoholic/real alcoholic, and I CAN predict that I will never pick up that first one.....

To me, all this 'stuff' just seem to be rationalizing/getting one's excuses in order for when one does pick up/drink again/drinkdrive........When I got into recovery, I got recovered....no excuses or rationalizing allowed.

(o:
Old 08-05-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I've hesitated getting into this thread.....because JF seems to boast about how much $$$ he owes in medical bills due to his circumstances on other threads.

didn't you just get your license back after losing it for a very extended time?

and now you are actually saying you can't guarantee you'll never do it again?

maybe you should have mentioned this when you were re-applying for driving PRIVILEGES?

I don't know how you actually afford car insurance?
Old 08-05-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

It IS a crime to drive drunk, no matter what happens. It is reckless and harmful to the public - the public which includes your family, your neighbours, children, animals, property-owners, insurers...

You're driving a loaded gun!

If a child jumped out of nowhere in front of your car - your reaction time is impaired and you will not have the same ability to avoid a collision. It's not just about avoiding driving into a wall - it's about reacting safely to unexpected situations.

You know - it's possible for these two statements, no, these three statements to ALL BE TRUE. It's not an either / or thing:

1. Drunk driving is a crime. That deserves punishment.

2. Alcoholism is an illness. That deserves sympathy and understanding.

3. Shooting people with guns is also a crime, along with tons of other things.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:21 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

metal, it's ironic that the solution to our problems is also the causes. I use to say I was like a hamster on his play wheel. Always spinning.

Nothing ironic about it. The solution to this particular problem is to STOP DRINKING.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think we've given this all the attention it deserves
time to move on, gang.

D