Notices

Good to see everybody happy in sobriety...

Old 01-11-2004, 05:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A new dawn, a new day...

Good to see everybody happy in sobriety...

Hei folks,
Good to see a large number of you carried on the season of good will...
Funnily enough I have just been given a copy of best of the grapevine and you know there was an article on similar kind of thing - whether wet drunks should be able to attend AA meetings. It came from the 1940s. Plus ca change...
Further to this, I attended an AA meeting in Finland and it was one of those lightbulb moments. Despite not understanding a word, I understood everything. From the tone of voice, the expression on members voices and just the general feel of the meeting.
Anyway, the point is, at this meeting was a man who told a story and used plenty of words I understood - I always try to learn expletives in a new language first, it gives you a good indication of when it's time to run - and I asked what the story was about.
My friend explained the story and also told me the man had NEVER achieved sobriety.
And yet he was still welcome at the meetings...
Anyway, that's my take on it and I hope you all had a wonderful sober New year, apart from niner.

There now follows an advertsiement on behalf of the Finnish tourist board:
I had the best time in Finland, saunas, skiing, ski-doing and lots of other wonderful things beggining with s.
In winter it's just the best place for resting up and taking it easy aswell as doing healthy things. We travelled up to the artic circle and there the light barely gets above twilight. With the houses still decorated with understated plain white lights and snow on the ground it really was a dreamlike place.
It was even more like being in the arms of Morpheus (the Greek god of sleep, not the black guy from Matrix) when we took a skidoo out on a 'wilderness trip'. Words fail me. It was just the most amazingly beautiful thing I have ever seen. Fir trees thickly coated with snow on their bows, looking as though some mad pattesiere had gone overboard with the icing bag stretched off as far as I can see. It really did make me feel as though I was on the set for a production of CS Lewis's The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. I've been to Narnia. Without the aid of strong narcotics!
We also went to see Santa, the real deal, at Santa Land and have the official picture to prove it. I was fearing something tacky, but I shouldn't have, the Finns are just too understated for that. It was fantastic (I'm going to have to dig out Rogets I'm running out of words for wonderful) wooden buildings covered with snow, and ice carvings and sculpture, lit from within that really reminded me of the wonder of Christmas I felt as a boy.
I really did feel like a little boy again, Santa was a jolly fellow and didn't seem to mind a 34 year-old sitting in his lap. (He must of got over his post-Xmas stress - the Finnish papers had two very disturbing stories of how this manifested itself - he had robbed a branch of Alco, the state alcohol monopoly and had the following day slapped the daughter of the Greek ambassador for pulling his moustache. It was not reported if he was drunk on the spoils of his Alco raid.)
He also promised me a Playstation 2 for Xmas next year if I am a good boy, so it looks like continuing sobrity for the next year...
Enough of my ramblings, good to be back and looking forward to continuing sobriety with you all.
Rotten
Old 01-11-2004, 05:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to see you are doing so well on!!
Old 01-11-2004, 07:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome back rotten! Good to hear from you!

-jay
Old 01-11-2004, 08:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Rotten

Good to see everybody happy in sobriety.

absolutely!

Have a happy, sober new year.

Jay
Old 01-11-2004, 09:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

welcome back, Rotten!