Notices

Binge Drinking vs. Daily Drinking

Old 08-02-2012, 06:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Binge Drinking vs. Daily Drinking

I’m curious if there’s any difference in the recovery process between binge drinkers and daily drinkers?

I’m a daily drinker, so it is difficult for me to imagine going 5 days without a drink and then getting hammered for the weekend. I don’t like the feeling of being really drunk (although my BAC would put me in the category of legally drunk, I keep sipping slowly until bedtime). Five days of being sober would be a major accomplishment to me, and I would view it as the beginning of my recovery.

No judgement here, just trying to understand the differences.

There was a thread here many years ago, which seemed to come from the Family forum, where most responders said if they had to choose, it would be the daily drinker, mostly due to the predictability. They did not talk about recovery.

Is it harder for the binge drinker in recovery? What makes you relapse if you can go weeks or months between binges? Are there different approaches in recovery?

Curious.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Slim,

I was a binge drinker. pretty much didnt drink every day. In fact, I could go months and not drink at all but when I did, it was drinking to oblivion. I planned it all very carefully as to not interfere with working. LOL

In my experience, alcoholism is alcoholism. My way allowed me more room for denial. LOL. Not that it mattered. Treatment is the same. no drinking.

hope this helps!

Love from Lenina
Old 08-02-2012, 08:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Lenina- how did you finally come to terms with it? I was a binge drinker. Could go weeks without but really looked forward to social outing where I could get hammered. I have been sober 92 days and have recently thought about going out again. My life is fine sober, but I just can't seem to really believe I am an alcoholic.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Aeon,

I knew I had a problem way before anyone else did. I was scared, I didn't really sleep on my own. I talked to my doctor and he said to quit drinking. LOL. Umm, anything else? I went to AA a few times. It made no sense to me at all. I was too young,I didn't fit in. It just was not for me.

I read lots of books, including the Big Book, to try figure it out. I would quit for several years on the fear if I didn't. I'd have to spend the rest of my life in AA meetings.

Finally, I was scared enough to go to rehab. it was well worth it. AA was pretty much the only game in town at that time. I got very very lucky and got a perfect sponsor. She was psychiatric nurse in Recovery for 10 years, She respected my general philosophies but gently called me out on my BS.

she died 8 years later from cancer. I quit going to AA as I'd only been going out of respect for her. I didn't drink for another 3 years but did pick up again.

This time, I was able to find Rational Recovery, which made way more sense to me and is a better fit for me. you might check it out. In the Secular Section of SR, there's a long running thread about AVRT. Give it a read and see what you think.

Love from Lenina
Old 08-02-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Originally Posted by Lenina View Post
Aeon,

I knew I had a problem way before anyone else did. I was scared, I didn't really sleep on my own. I talked to my doctor and he said to quit drinking. LOL. Umm, anything else? I went to AA a few times. It made no sense to me at all. I was too young,I didn't fit in. It just was not for me.

I read lots of books, including the Big Book, to try figure it out. I would quit for several years on the fear if I didn't. I'd have to spend the rest of my life in AA meetings.

Finally, I was scared enough to go to rehab. it was well worth it. AA was pretty much the only game in town at that time. I got very very lucky and got a perfect sponsor. She was psychiatric nurse in Recovery for 10 years, She respected my general philosophies but gently called me out on my BS.

she died 8 years later from cancer. I quit going to AA as I'd only been going out of respect for her. I didn't drink for another 3 years but did pick up again.

This time, I was able to find Rational Recovery, which made way more sense to me and is a better fit for me. you might check it out. In the Secular Section of SR, there's a long running thread about AVRT. Give it a read and see what you think.

Love from Lenina
I guess my question was more of how you finally accepted you were an alcoholic if you didn't drink often. I only drank 1-3 times a week and some weeks not at all. I can't seem to get past step 1
Old 08-02-2012, 09:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

I went back and forth from binge drinking and daily drinking at different points in my drinking career. I drank daily at certain jobs to get rid of anxiety and stress. I had to have a certain amount of drinks to go to work, and I binged on the weekends and some nights to get hammered. Both are equally devastating.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I was always a binge drinker .... my binges became longer and closer together. I was well on the way to being a daily drinker.

For my recovery, I use AA. I do it just like any other drunk. I have a sponsor, I've taken the steps, and I try to practice them in my daily life.

In the past, I used the fact that I wasn't a daily drinker as an excuse to keep on drinking. I wasn't near as bad as all you daily drinkers. What were those people thinking?! Eventually, I had to focus on me and quit judging others in an effort to make myself look better.

So far, I've had pretty good results with this approach.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

What MetalChick just posted, reminded me that I was a daily drinker at certain points of my life. I had forgotten that. Wow.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, I guess the guilt, the crushing hangovers, the messes I made in my house helped clear away denial. And that I couldnt stay stopped. That how excited I got when I knew I had alone time to drink in peace! LOL That I would cancel appointments, dates with friends etc because I was either clearly hungover or wanted to stay in to drink. I was isolating more and more.

normal folks don't do that. also, I could never have just one or two drinks. it was to pass out or not at all. that's not normal either. I knew something was seriously wrong but it took a while to actually name it alcoholism. I had a lot of shame being a woman who drank.

why couldn't I just leave it alone altogether? Why was I so defensive about it? why was it a big secret? Why did I want to? It seemed insane. it was interfering with my life. my health was suffering too. I was massively depressed.

does that make sense? I'm not very good at explaining in writing. LOL

Love from lenina
Old 08-02-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

Aeo,

"I guess my question was more of how you finally accepted you were an alcoholic if you didn't drink often. I only drank 1-3 times a week and some weeks not at all. I can't seem to get past step 1."

To me step one is about being powerless once you drink whether it is daily or not If you are an alcoholic you know that all encompassing feeling, excitement, and euphoria that starts with that first drink that non-alcoholics do not have and can not understand. Lucky them!