Notices

Is my husband an alcoholic

Old 08-03-2012, 06:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayers zipping out that this situation comes to benefit everyone
Old 08-03-2012, 08:25 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Fraggle - I have a 40 year old son who is an alcoholic, not at home with his dad and I, but living with his wife and two little children. Long story short... I read online how an alcoholic's body metabolizes alcohol differently. They seem to not be affected by excessive alcohol. Eventually that changes. He would stay up at night, having a cigarette and beers on the front porch. I just thought he was relaxing, having a beer and a cigarette. As I look back...not the case. It was the beginning of much drinking, through college, into marriage, and now...DUI #3. Very very sad for a mom and dad. If it were my spouse I wouldn't be so sad, I would be angry. Our son went through a period where he was dating someone and he had sweaty hands, anxious about meeting her boss. At the time I thought he was just nervous. It wasn't like him to get nervous. Anyhow, at this point my son is an alcoholic, in rehab (via jail), scheduled for a hearing in August and my husband and I are sick, sad, and arguging. We have been married a long time and have gone through many changes in our lives. Not that this particular incident is making a difference but I am feeling we are ending our marriage. How sad after all these years. Alcohol will ruin lives, relationships, families. Also, a sidenote. About 6 years ago my husband got my son to go for an alcohol screening because we suspected there were alcohol problems. He went. He was asked to stay inpatient. He said he couldn't. Life went on and now life is very sad. The kids see the excessive drinking. Is it all psychological or is it both enviornment and genetics? I believe environment has a play in this. If they drink all the time it becomes something their body needs and craves. I don't know if there is anything you can do other than give him boundaries and live your life. Not easy to do.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

SettingSunset....

I found Al anon immensley helpful when dealing with loved ones
in active addiction.... I hope you and your husband will give
that a try

All my best to you and your family