Notices

Want to know what was hard?

Old 08-01-2012, 04:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Want to know what was hard?

Stopping by the liquor store last night to pick up some supplies for my wife. It sucked but I remained focused and treated it like picking up a loaf of Bread. As a musician, I am never going to be able to avoid Bars, Clubs and situations where there is alcohol so this was almost like safe practice for the next gig. I could have purchased anything that I wanted and then taken it home, consumed, etc... but I did not. Why? Alcohol has no hold on me. Not yesterday, not today, no more.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I admire your strength! Is your wife supportive of your decision to quit drinking? I find it a tad insenstive to ask you to stop by the liquor store for her.

I struggle with support from my husband....this first week or so, I had a hard time with anger issues and flew off the handle at him. His response was "Just go have a drink, you obviously need it"
Old 08-01-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

spydermary....Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum...
Old 08-01-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Hi SpyderMary, congratulations on your first week. The only way to start is just the way you did!

4MyKids, you are rocking this! Thanks for sharing about how this is going for you, and showing one way through. Despite posts like yours and stories like mine and others, we still hear the baloney about nobody ever doing exactly this: just stop drinking. Dead simple; easy or not is up to us.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 4mykids723 View Post
Want to know what was hard? Stopping by the liquor store last night to pick up some supplies for my wife. It sucked...
It was "hard" for whom, 4mykids? For you? Or for your Beast?

Your Addictive Voice is telling you that the Beast's suffering is your suffering, and that ITS discomfort is your discomfort. Maintain the separation, though, and you will see this classic ploy for what it is. Your Beast was certainly upset at having to see all those bottles that it couldn't have, but what do you care if that disgusting thing gets upset?

The only way your Beast can get anything at all is by convincing you that IT is you, that you are IT, and that you therefore want what IT wants. Don't let it jerk you around like that. You are in control here. Its deprivation is not your deprivation, its discomfort is not your discomfort, and its suffering is not your suffering.

You may feel the Beast suffer, but abstinence is always easy for you, and always difficult for your Beast.

Your signature line says "RR Student"... have you read Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction, or only The Small Book?
Old 08-05-2012, 05:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by spydermary View Post
I admire your strength! Is your wife supportive of your decision to quit drinking? I find it a tad insenstive to ask you to stop by the liquor store for her.

I struggle with support from my husband....this first week or so, I had a hard time with anger issues and flew off the handle at him. His response was "Just go have a drink, you obviously need it"
She did not ask me to. I knew that she was looking to unwind after a very busy schedule with the kids and all so I thought I would grab what she needed. My wife is very supportive of any decision that I make.

Dalek, I am in the midst of reading the Small Book right now but will try and find the other that you suggest.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Talking

deleted.
I wouldn't do that.
Unnecessary temptation.
But well done.