Notices

Finally got a Dwi

Old 07-31-2012, 12:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post Finally got a Dwi

I finally quit drinking, caused from a DWI ... So I have not had a drink since.. it will be two weeks Saturday but I am going kayaking this Saturday and Sunday. I am not worried about that activity as I am as much as 99 percent of the people there that are going to be pounding beers... Wouldn't call anyone I am going with an alcoholic so they want get on my case if I dont drink... I am just worried a couple people who do have issues will join up at the last minute(as of now are not going) and try to peer me into boosing. What would you guys all do?

I really have not left my house M-F in the last two weeks.. .The only time I went out was Saturday Afternoon to see the Philadelphia Eagles at training camp.. .so I am not sure how I will do with this situation.... but I am looking forward to it.

Matt
Old 07-31-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

well...honestly?

I wouldn't have gone anywhere where 99% of people will be chugging beers, and noone knows I'm trying to stay sober, all in my first two weeks.

I just couldn't have done that. That's like lifting 350 pounds cold, man.

If you want to get out of the house, get out of the house...but me? I'd avoid alcohol fuelled events like that for a good long while.

D
Old 07-31-2012, 03:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee. I'm not going to my very good friend's wedding this Sat because it's way too early in my sobriety to be around an open bar

I figure it's just one night vs. the rest of my life.

The best part is that I told my friend my situation and he was totally supportive and understands completely. And I was so worried it was going to be a big deal. It's funny what our alkie minds do to us.

Anyway flyerfan, I know I couldn't go on a trip like that.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee, too. I'm only 8 days into my sobriety, and I would never put myself in a situation like you're describing. Sometimes you've just got to change your lifestyle in order to achieve a higher goal. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Stay sober!
Old 07-31-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

damn I am thinking that I can do it. Maybe it is a bad idea. Thanks everyone
Old 07-31-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I work at a bar as a bartender, there is no more of an open bar than that. I feel I have greater control while working than I would at a social event. It is going to be a major challenge because since you were a former drinker you will be pressured. Perhaps you can say you are on medication if you don't want them to know the truth.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flyersfan View Post
damn I am thinking that I can do it. Maybe it is a bad idea. Thanks everyone
Some people are stronger than others and have greater will. I don't know how much you were drinking. Maybe your will is stronger than other peoples. I have two DUI which were both knocked down to reckless driving in court and that didn't stop me from drinking and driving let alone drinking. I can go 21 days with out food, I've done it several times before but lately I can't seem to a day with out a drink.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I would wait until you are a bit stronger in recovery. Sad to hear about the DUI. But you will get through it. I have 3 DUI's & I can legally drive today! I still have lots of resentments towards the Secretary Of State. The truth is I never stopped drinking although I did stop drinking & driving. I moved to the big city & took buses & subways while drinking & drugging for another 9yrs. My 3 DUI I blew a .25 & hit a curb. My DUI recommendation was Level 3 Severe with no driving ever but I made it through it.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i am guessing you knew that one of the consequences of drinking and drinving were getting a DWI at some point and it happened. now you know the consequences of hanging around drinkers is that you could end up drinking. so, you have knowledge that eventually, it will heppen, so why walk into temptation?
its russian roulette.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pink08 View Post
I work at a bar as a bartender, there is no more of an open bar than that. I feel I have greater control while working than I would at a social event. It is going to be a major challenge because since you were a former drinker you will be pressured. Perhaps you can say you are on medication if you don't want them to know the truth.
Thats brilliant... Antibiotics
Old 08-01-2012, 06:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
i am guessing you knew that one of the consequences of drinking and drinving were getting a DWI at some point and it happened. now you know the consequences of hanging around drinkers is that you could end up drinking. so, you have knowledge that eventually, it will heppen, so why walk into temptation?
its russian roulette.
So for the rest of my life i am just going to advoid every situation?

I watch the eagles every Sunday with 10 people and they all get drunk but I never do... so in that situation I am fine... I am more worried about being in the woods and getting bored out of my mind and resulting to alcohol honestly
Old 08-01-2012, 06:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't think we can, or should, avoid situations with alcohol forever BUT it makes sense to try and avoid them in very early sobriety. for me, it was common sense and self preservation
Old 08-01-2012, 06:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Skip it.

That's what I had to do for the first 60-90 days..

Learn from my mistakes .

Today, I can go to any event / patio / party etc. and have a blast without booze....
Old 08-01-2012, 06:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

How about getting a script for antabuse? You take a pill and you cannot drink without getting violently ill. When I was in rehab 30 years ago, they put all the alkies on it so they could not drink in tempting situations in beginning sobriety.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I watch the eagles every Sunday with 10 people and they all get drunk but I never do... so in that situation I am fine... I am more worried about being in the woods and getting bored out of my mind and resulting to alcohol honestly
no, im not saying you should avoid every situation. you say it is one where 99% of the poeple will be drinking.do you think it would be wise to walk into a situation where 99% of the people will be drinking? do you feel that early on it would be wise to do that? do you feel that you can hang around a crowd of people who are drinking and not have the the thought of drinking cross you mind and run with it?

i have been sober for a few 24's now. early on, i knew i had to change wet places and wet faces.i knew the problem was me and not everyone else who drank, but the great thing was that i didnt completely fry my brain and i remembered some of the times i had tried to stop drinking without changing wet places and wt faces. it didnt take long and i was drunk.
today, i dont avoid palces where there is alcohol, but i have a few things to llok at when i go into the.
1) make sure my motive for being there is good
2) have an escape route.i am powerless over whether the thought will enter my mind, but not powerless over what i do with it. if the thought hits, i leave
3) be in fit spiritual condition.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
In love with life.

If boredom is what worries you (and you really want to go despite what everyone is advicing against) maybe you can use that time to take a look around you and see all the stupid idiotic things we say/do when tanked. I personally love people watching and even though I'd probably want to be joining in on the stupidity, if you're that serious about your sobriety, use the sober experience for entertainment value and more importantly possibly saving a drunk A$$'s life who may capsize. Have fun if you go, but remember the risks. Our diseased brain is really good at telling us to go ahead and join in....
Old 08-01-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
High on Life

You have to decide what's more important, kayaking or your sobriety?
Old 08-01-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I would imagine that kayaking & drinking booze could be a dangerous combination. I've seen people kayaking & it does seem like fun but could be a little dangerous.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'd skip the kayaking event this time if there is going to be a lot of drinking. At two weeks you are really early in your recovery.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

absolutely not, you dont need to avoid every single vulnerable situation. But during your early sobriety you may need to until you the obsession goes away.

EDIT: and as for the peer pressure, you're not in high school anymore. If your friends give you a hard time for staying sober then they arent really your friends and its time to find some new people to hang out with.