Notices

Drinking & guilt?

Old 07-30-2012, 08:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Drinking & guilt?

I've been thinking about this for a few days. I'm just looking to see others views. Let's say due to a death in the family, at 18 I was given a rather considerable lump sum of cash. I've since literally drank it all away, I've been wondering, could it be said that having access to such an amount, at a young.. heck immature age, that it was a key factor in my alcohol addiction?

On that note. What have ya'll found to work best for handling guilt? I'm aware that feeling guilty for me go hand in hand with drinking. What have ya'll done to let go? I'm having a ridiculously hard time soberly realizing with what I had, I could have bought a brand new dodge viper if I wanted... instead I chose to drink it all away. Down to my last penny, every bit of it. All gone, and no a thing to show... How do I get over that realization? What works? The only I've known for the last seven years has been to drink to the point where blacking out and seeing double was a normal, regular part of every night.

I know my rant is a bit long, but I don't know how to handle some of these things soberly. Thanks for reading guys. I appreciate it.

-SFA Lumberjack AD
Old 07-30-2012, 08:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Texas, having those feelings is normal, we all regret our past mistakes. You can only go forward, life has no rewind and do-over mode. Dwelling on it tho is pointless, what's done is done. The important thing is that we learn from our mistakes and not make the same ones again and again.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Texas, I can relate... but I soon realized I was wasting away something more precious and that was my health. It helps me to go on walks, take in a deep breath of fresh air, and enjoy this beautiful place. You will have time to buy your viper.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

The best thing for dealing with guilt is not drinking.

The thing with drinking is we think it's helping us deal with stuff, but it's not...it just pushes the guilt to one side for a while - if we're lucky...but it comes back - with fresh guilt in tow because we drank again.

I did a lot of dumb things too - I wasted a lot of money and I was very immature.
You're not alone in that

The past is gone tho - we can't change it.
We can change today tho

D
Old 07-30-2012, 11:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

This read may help ----> Ernest Kurtz, Shame & Guilt
Old 07-31-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Kurtz's book helped me after I worked the 12 steps of AA. But that's me.

We can be guilt free, but we may not want to be totally shameless. Read the book, it can help.

How are you staying stopped?

Glad you are posting!

Hugs,
Old 07-31-2012, 09:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

I think is it good to feel bad about opportunities that we blew because we drank. It is a realization. I know I was in so much denial that I blamed just about anything on my behavior but drinking. It was a relief to finally admit that my drinking was at the forefront of many bad decisions I made.

For me, the longer I don't drink the less guilty I feel, because I am proud of myself, and I am making better choices in life. Excessive guilt also causes me to want to drink to relive the guilt, which starts the cycle.

I know a few people who have blown their inheritances on drugs or who were never on drugs and just spent it on stupid stuff. Life goes on and there is more money to be made.

take care
Old 07-31-2012, 09:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Texas21SFASU View Post
I've been wondering, could it be said that having access to such an amount, at a young.. heck immature age, that it was a key factor in my alcohol addiction?
Does it matter? The point is moot and does nothing but fuel your guilt. If you want to combat your guilt, get sober and have something to be proud of--your recovery.

Then start working on your second fortune!
Old 07-31-2012, 10:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

On that note. What have ya'll found to work best for handling guilt? I'm aware that feeling guilty for me go hand in hand with drinking. What have ya'll done to let go? I'm having a ridiculously hard time soberly realizing with what I had, I could have bought a brand new dodge viper if I wanted... instead I chose to drink it all away. Down to my last penny, every bit of it. All gone, and no a thing to show... How do I get over that realization? What works? The only I've known for the last seven years has been to drink to the point where blacking out and seeing double was a normal, regular part of every night.
I felt the same way when I stopped drinking. In this way AA helped enormously, especially being around other recovering drunks who understand each other. You can learn pretty quickly how to deal with these awful feelings, you don't have to carry a terrible burden like this. God bless!