Notices

Can you get sober without AA?

Old 07-31-2012, 01:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
instant

I'm sober on my own for 14 months with SR. I am happy with my progress, I am by no means doing it tough. I think AA is a good program, but from what I have heard you might have to find a group that works for you.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:46 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I'm a little over 3 years happily sober with no "program", other than support from family and friends and SR. Lots of options out there nowadays. I hope you find one that works for you.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pink08 View Post
I don't know anything from personal experience as today is my first day on the board but most people have told me that you need some kind of help or support for it to really work.

I met a woman today that said she tried to quit for 20 years ALONE and could not, she goes to AA and said she has been 2 years sober.

I went to a meeting last night that made me think I would never go to a meeting again. I didn't fit in at all. But today, as I struggled reading about alcoholism and reading everyone's stories I decided to go to one which is less than a mile from my place and I really liked it to the point, I may go back again tonight.

Good luck... I don't know much but that maybe it will not be AA for you or even for me but most people need some kind of support for long term success. I thought I could do it alone too.
Look for "The Small Book" and give it a try. The support that you need and deserve is already inside of you. Once you realize that you can take full advantage of this board and all of the beautiful people here which can help you to create a huge network of people who are cheering you on. Remember, there is no can't, there is only won't. We are all capable of great things, we just need to look inside for the strength to make them happen.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:39 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I think whether or not an individual can get sober or stay sober without AA or any other method is really, well, individual.

SR has been my number one resource to push to towards getting sober and maintaining sobriety and recovery.

Early in I attended NA meetings, and the fellowship and program helped me on my way. But I have not attended meetings for over two years, and have added many other tools and resources to my recovery that I have felt 'fit' me better.

But I do think it is in an addicts best interest to investigate a number of resources to familiarize themselves with what is available.

I guess you can say I've diversified my recovery portfolio!

I have found myself sometimes burning out, bottoming out or stalling with various parts of my program, having other styles of supports and ideas to turn to has helped me with this. I don't feel like "now what"? when I get stuck, or tired.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Um.. Just because you are sober doesn't mean you are actually 'living' a life. AA is a way. IMO a spiritual journey. Why people a pose AA... My best guess FEAR. Fear of change, Fear of reality of looking into the mirror and being honest. Fear of not living in ones fake self we so hard to show.
So yes. Possible for sure. AA isn't the only way to live but my real question is WHY are you so fearful of going?
Old 07-31-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

It is possible, I know people who are sober and they are not in AA.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:09 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I couldn't have gotten sober alone, I needed the support of other alcoholics to get through early sobriety (the first year). I hope you find the best path for you ... indeed, people do get sober without AA.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Hexipuff

I do understand your dilemma with AA especially in the UK. I have friends and
acquaintances over there and have heard a lot about AA over there compared
to AA here,
I am not sure what this meant but I would like to add the AA is brilliant in the UK - it is the foundation to my sobriety.

Having said that and as has been said there are different programmes out there, take a look at all those that have been suggested.
Be proud of your achievement so far - CONGRATULATIONS

Last edited by Hexipuff; 07-31-2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-31-2012, 04:33 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Of course you can! Heaps of people just give up without a program too. You won't fine them here though because they've moved on with their lives
Old 07-31-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Live2Run25 View Post
I've been sober for two months on Wednesday. I do not go to AA, and I doubt I ever will. This board and AVRT (which does not require meetings) has worked very well for me. AA is not the only thing out there. Do what works for you.
i hope you arent insinuating meetings are required of AA.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:45 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
kiddo

I stayed sober for 3 months without AA, but I wasn't recovering.
Basically I felt terrible the entire time, but people can do it if they set their mind to it. It's definitely harder, but it's doable.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:48 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Professional Alcoholic

AA didn't do anything for me but it sure works for some. I would wonder can someone's mind be bent a little because of the AA teachings. Sorta like the previous post. The only way to quit drinking is to quit drinking...Wah la...end of problem
Old 07-31-2012, 04:51 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Originally Posted by Bazerington View Post
Hi everyone, the question is in the title. I have had several people say to me that you can't get or stay sober without AA. Today is my 98th day, and I must admit it's been really tough. I can't see much of a future, but I had a pretty tough time in AA several years ago and have never wanted to go back. Guess I'm just wondering what to do, as it is hard doing this on my own. Any ideas or feedback would be great
im with you im finding it so hard im on verge of endin everything luckily dee as helped me tonight n i got through too one atm im upset ive realised impact on fam
Old 07-31-2012, 08:30 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmmm...

A few things occur to me when I share here....

first....it's not about AA vs XY or Z....there is no one wrong
way to find a sober future...

AA is not nor has it ever run a membership drive.

Court ordered people can easily not go by doing jail time or
faking AA attandance as the only record is how many were
at a meeting.....not who or why.

And to my fellow AA members...please remember ...
Love and tolerance is our code.

The AA program I follow needs no defense.
Our actions speak for how we live IMO
Old 08-01-2012, 02:03 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I got sober w/o AA. :) SMART Recovery works pretty well for me, so in answer to your question: "yes".
Old 08-01-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by Emma18 View Post
I stayed sober for 3 months without AA, but I wasn't recovering.
Basically I felt terrible the entire time, but people can do it if they set their mind to it. It's definitely harder, but it's doable.
I would not say that it is harder to recover without AA. If AA isn't a good fit for a particular individual, as it was not a good fit for me, it may actually be harder to recover WITH AA.

The point is to find a program, approach, philosophy or path that works for YOU.