Notices

When does it stop?

Old 07-30-2012, 12:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When does it stop?

It is day 3 sober for me, when does the emotional up and down stop along with that darn compulsion!! I so very much want to be sober and stay sober and am trying very very hard. I am hoping I can do this.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome,day3 was the hardest for me. it will get better

maybe join our july class of newcomers on the newcomers thread
Old 07-30-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hexipuff

Day 3 was hard for me too but believe me and others when we say it does get better.

By Day 4 I was begining to feel more human again.

Are you going to AA or getting some other support to help you?

Also stick around on here, this is one of my lifelines to sobriety. The people on here are so supportive and knowledgable.

Keep reading and keep posting

All the best
Old 07-30-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In my experience most alcoholics' lives get worse when they stop drinking. Reason being, their solution to all their problems has been removed. Life doesnt get and stay much better until we have a new solution. Putting down the booze just leaves us with all of our problems and nothing to drink them away with. I found that as soon as i got involved in the 12 steps of AA, all of those emotional roller coasters and the mental obsession with alcohol were relieved. We have to deal with the source of the problem, not just the drinking.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bbthumper View Post
In my experience most alcoholics' lives get worse when they stop drinking. Reason being, their solution to all their problems has been removed. Life doesnt get and stay much better until we have a new solution. Putting down the booze just leaves us with all of our problems and nothing to drink them away with. I found that as soon as i got involved in the 12 steps of AA, all of those emotional roller coasters and the mental obsession with alcohol were relieved. We have to deal with the source of the problem, not just the drinking.
well said !
Old 07-30-2012, 07:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

Please check out this link and see if it helps

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...xpereince.html

gee on Day 3 I was fortunate if I could get out of bed.
It was by far...the hardest day of my de tox ...and the last...

The good news is you never have to drink again and go thru withdrawals.

Many of us are winning over alcohol useing all sorts of concepts and
methods. ...I find AA to be an awesome positive adventure..

Thanks for joining us....and do keep posting.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have found that the physical maladies that come with detox last about a week (in my experience). Day 3 for me has always been the hardest, as others have noted. The mental aspects of sobriety, however, may last a long time, especially if you're not getting support and help. Even at 6 months, I still had strong urges to "have just one drink". Unfortunately, I listened to that voice last time and relapsed after 7 months. I'm better equipped this time (AVRT & SmartRecovery) and am committed to quitting. We'll see how I deal with the urges when they come. I'm on Day 8 now, and feeling great. Hang in there Powerless!
Old 07-31-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi and thank you! I do feel better today at least so far. Yesterday was by far one of the worst but I got through it and didn't drink!!! Major victory for me!! I am going to AA this week.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm so glad that you hung in there. The bad days are just that. Days. Its 24 hours and if you can get through that it makes you feel so much stronger and confident in your ability to stay sober.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If its any consolation the first 3 days are the worst!! It only gets better after that as far as the withdraw symptoms go,at least for me the first 3 were the toughest..Hang in there and congrats on the 3 days dry!! I also remember the first 3 days to a week when I quit after drinking daily for over ten years that I ate a lot of food, it was like I couldn't get full, I craved greasy food that first week. It could be that for ten years I really never ate a lot,just drank beer and snacked all day on junk like chips, heck there were some days in a heavy week long binge were I didn't eat anything, just drank 24/7..Those were sad,sad days for me looking back.