Notices

When will I have steady hands again?

Old 07-29-2012, 08:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When will I have steady hands again?

Hi all,

Just curious what everyone's experience is here. When I quit drinking my hands would shake if I held them out for about a week. That's gone away, but issue I'm having now still is 'jitter' hands, like if I reach for something small and grab it they shake for just a second as they "hone in" the target.

History is many years of daily drinking, I'm almost at 60 days sober now.

Anyone have experience with this? Thanks
Old 07-29-2012, 09:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

It took me 2 months to get back in physical and mental balance.
I tooo was a long time heavy drinker...and I quit at 53
I expereinced no lasting ill effects from my alcoholism..

Soo...to ease your mind....
please talk with your doctor and be very honest about your pastdrinking so blood test will be done to check everything

Dr. Google will only be more confusing IMO

Congratulations on your sober time..

Last edited by CarolD; 07-30-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was a benzo head and a booze hounds, so for me it was six months. Take away the benzos, and I think most booze hounds could expect a month or two?

Always best to consult a doctor.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Like Carol said, see a doctor to ease your mind.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been sober for over 5 months, and sometimes when i'm trying to do something a little fiddly like tying fishing hooks, or reaching for something from a shelf, sometimes I get a quite a tremor. I discussed it with my Doctor, and he thinks it may be a psychosomatic response or possibly some nerve damage ? Even if it doesn't improve I can live with it. . . .
Old 07-30-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wallup View Post
Hi all,

Just curious what everyone's experience is here. When I quit drinking my hands would shake if I held them out for about a week. That's gone away, but issue I'm having now still is 'jitter' hands, like if I reach for something small and grab it they shake for just a second as they "hone in" the target.

History is many years of daily drinking, I'm almost at 60 days sober now.

Anyone have experience with this? Thanks
Are your "jitter hands" caused by fear? Anxiety? Indecisiveness? Are you going to AA?

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-30-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
Are your "jitter hands" caused by fear? Anxiety? Indecisiveness? Are you going to AA?

All the best.

Bob R
No nothing like that, I don't even think about it until I physically feel it. My guess would just be damaged nerves that are repairing over time, I'm just surprised it has lasted this long now. I attend online AA meetings.

Best analogy I can give is like when someone jumps out to scare you, for just a split second you shake and recover. Same thing for me, but only things that require accurate coordination such as putting an eye glass screw back in, once grab it I'm fine, it's just that initial motion to do something that requires accuracy. It has improved, just isn't 100%. Happy 60 days today though
Old 07-30-2012, 06:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
zjw

reading this thread has me wondering. I used to have uncontrolable twitching in various parts. hands feed or something. I never thought of it as jitters or drinking related but now that i think about it it stopped some time ago.... might have to add this to the list of benefits.
The terminology is tough I never thought of my "jitters" as jitters so if asked do you have the jitters i'd be like no. If i was worded differently I would have found that yes i did indeed have the jitters too.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I never did get the shakes or have seizures of any kind and I was absolutely stumped as to why since i had been a heavy drinker for so long. However, I did have really bad body aches when I got up in the mornings and it felt like I had gotten the hell beat out of me the night before. It was weird. Almost like instant arthritis. My legs and body would still retain A LOT of fluid too (I had liver failure). It has now for the most part, all gone away and this took about 3 months to really start seeing/feeling a difference. I will tell you that everyone that i had talked to on here told me things would get better and I felt like they really never would and guess what???? They are. Haha! YESSSSS! You will too. I wish you the best and I know that you will feel much better as you go through this positive healing process too. I have a long way to go but i know that we can both get through this. Good luck to you.