Notices

My Recovery Story

Old 07-25-2012, 09:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Recovery Story

I've been drinking consistently for years, but in the last 7 months my drinking was out of control. I was racing home from work and drinking 2/3's a bottle of whiskey or until I blacked out. I had to start drinking by 5pm; otherwise I'd be too drunk to work the next day. I am a high functioning alcoholic, as I have maintained my marriage (not without strain) and a high paying profession, but I knew I had to change.

I've been sober 7 days know and I know I am never looking back. With the help of Ativan to sleep at night, my withdrawal symptoms have been limited to mild night sweats (which are easing up).

One thing that worked for me (but might not work for you) is getting a tattoo that represents my dedication to sobriety. It was my first and last tattoo, but I decided since I wanted to be permanently sober, I needed a permanent reminder. The tattoo represents the age at which I decided to turn my life around.

Hope you all can find something symbolic that works for you.

Best wishes
Old 07-25-2012, 09:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

...ah yes, the myth of High Functioning Alcoholic, or as I like to to call it - an Alcoholic who can not get honest with himself. That's certainly what I considered myself to be for 7 years before quitting.

Glad you saw the light dcouture, getting sober is the best decision I've ever made !

Keep posting.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to S.R.
I am also a functioning (but not practicing) alcoholic. I always had it in my mind I had to work to support my habit. And as long as I went to work and did my job well,thats what it was all about. In 30 years I never called in sick once(I sure should have). But I figured if I started that I was too bad off.
It is insane the way alcohol (or the addiction) made me think.
I agree something to remember is a good idea. While I don't have a tatoo,I have the beer that was next in line the night I quit sitting right by the TV. It has been sitting there over 3 years. There have been times I have been tempted to drink it. But it always reminds me how fed up I was with this crap when I decided to quit.
I was also a 5 oclock drunk. But I didn't race home. I raced to the beer store and guzzled beer all the way home,where I stayed,because i was too drunk to do anything else. What a life.
Hang in there,as I'm sure you know this isn't easy. S.R helped me a lot to stay sober as did other things.
I wish you the best....
Fred
Old 07-25-2012, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum....

I was not a stay at home drunk...tho I bet many bartenders
wish I had....
I was busy putting the "Fun" into " functioning alcoholic".
A phrase that is often used when in denial..glad you quit..

Glad to know you have started on a sober future
Blessings to you and your wife
Old 07-25-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

I've been thinking about a tattoo for this as well. I already have 5 others, so it would blend in. =) I love the idea of something like that. something to look at and keep me accountable at all times.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
I was busy putting the "Fun" into " functioning alcoholic".
my ex once told me i put the FU in functional drunk.

on the tattoo thing? 20 years ago i got a tat to help encourage me to change my ways. welp, it didnt help. it took 13 more years before i realized i also had to put in some footwork. but its a good reminder of how sick i was thinkin that woud help.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The best "ink" I did was write my last drink date on my membership card at my Home Group with a pen.. and pressed real hard..

In the past I had just "penciled them in".

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-27-2012, 10:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 7 days. That's wonderful. Good for you!