Notices

Sleep Eating ?!?!

Old 07-21-2012, 07:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleep Eating ?!?!

So I've been sober a little over a week now, and I've noticed an interesting development. Almost every night, in a half awake half asleep state (I remember the next morning), I wake up and make a beeline to the fridge and eat the first thing I see. It's really bizarre. And because I'm only half awake, the logical brain doesn't kick on and stop me from eating.

It's kind of funny, but frustrating when I'm trying to lose weight and better myself... Did anyone else have a similar experience? How did you fix it?
Old 07-21-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Congrats on 1 week of sobriety!

one thing at a time....
Old 07-21-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My best friend does this! Sometimes she will wake up with lunchmeat in her bed or covered in cracker crumbs! I do get worried for her. She is trying to let go of her drug addicted husband. They don't live together and I have noticed a pattern in her. When he is trying to sober up, and comes over alot, this is when the night eating starts.

Are you under a lot of stress? Maybe a Dr. can help? I worry for you 2 that you could choke in the middle of the night. I'm sorry I'm not much help for fixing the situation, just wanted you to know your not alone
Old 07-21-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know exactly what you're going through, as I have had the same problem ! I've actually woken up several times with 2-3 pop-tart wrappers & half-eaten pieces surrounding me & I loathe pop-tarts ! LOL

It feels as if your body is turning on you, doesn't it ? I've had some incidences of sleep eating for a long time but, once I quit drinking it became a nightly thing. I assume your body is trying to recoup all of that lost sugar from quitting drinking... maybe ? I do know that the carb & sugar cravings in the first month or two of sobriety seem to be fairly normal for alot of people, though.

Just try to avoid being hard on yourself or giving yourself another mountain to climb so early on.

I've tried so many thing's for the last year & a half and I have found 2 that seem to be working most of the time (I sleep eat about twice a week as opposed to nightly now)... I've been taking 5htp each night and I eat a spoonful of peanut butter or drink a glass of orange juice to raise my blood sugar, right before bed time. If you google "night eating syndrome 5htp" you'll find alot of information on how it helps with sleep & controlling carbohydrate cravings.

I wish you luck & congratulations on your sober time !
Old 07-21-2012, 09:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum...

With my doctors okay I followed an eating plan for hypoglycemia
for about 6 months in early recovery.

I think it helped me get back in balance rather quickly..

No ... I never expereinced any sleep eating.

Well done on your sober time....
Old 07-21-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the input all! I would definitely say it is my body looking for that sugar it got so used to. I went and asked my mom about it (she's a recovering alcoholic of 7 years now) and she said although she didn't sleep eat, the sugar cravings were pretty intense. Thanks again!
Old 07-21-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I often eat more in the middle of the night than I do during the day. I'm not sure when it started though. I don't think I did it nearly as much during my drinking days, but I cannot be certain of that.