Notices

How do you stay sober?

Old 07-21-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunny27 View Post
What are you studying, MrsKing?

I never thought I would be going back to college. Giving up drinking has changed my life. I have no intention of going back to the way I was
I'm training to be a hairdresser - it's half taught, half done through working at the salon at the college. What about you?
Old 07-21-2012, 11:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrsKing View Post
I'm training to be a hairdresser - it's half taught, half done through working at the salon at the college. What about you?
Counselling and psychotherapy... it will take four years, but I have wanted to do it for a very long time.

All the best to you
Old 07-21-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunny27 View Post
Counselling and psychotherapy... it will take four years, but I have wanted to do it for a very long time.

All the best to you
How wonderful! I'm sure that will be very interesting and four years is nothing if it means you'll be doing something you've always wanted. I'm sure you'll love it. Good luck (not that you'll need it) x
Old 07-21-2012, 02:16 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

Originally Posted by Princess82 View Post
I'm interested in how people stay sober on this forum. All ideas welcome!!!
I am trying to stay sober no matter how many relaps

Try fishing
Bingo online

They are my main ones at min, plus got aa meeting mon that ive never been too..

On here helps to

Good luck
Old 07-21-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Serious willpower.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I have accepted that I cannot and will not ever drink normally.

Any urge I get to drink is nonsense. It's just the alcoholic in me. Doing what it does. But I'm smarter
Old 07-21-2012, 05:23 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I go to AA meetings to keep reminding myself I'm an alcoholic. Addiction is fed by denial which is perched on my shoulder 20 years after I had my last drink. I also go to do service and help others get sober.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:10 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SSIL75 View Post
I have accepted that I cannot and will not ever drink normally.
Me too. I know it to be so absolutely true that when my alcoholic voice tells me "Just one! One glass of wine would make this day immeasurably better!" I know to scoff at it. I've never had "just one" glass of wine in my life. And because I can't stop at one drink, I never pick one drink up.

Just for today.

AA isn't working out for me at the moment, but I haven't given up on it. While I feel great now I know it's highly likely I'll need more support in the future. I'm looking at a range of ways to harness that support.

I have done a hell of a lot of therapy. I still go weekly.

Plus, I feel as Sunny and Natalie do – I like life more this way. I have more time. I'm ambitious again. I'm losing weight. I'm more alive. I feel clearer and smarter without the fog of an ever-present hangover. Even when I get down, as I inevitably do, I know why – it isn't all mixed up with wooly thinking and self-recrimination.

I just dig sobriety.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:05 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Now this is my kind of question that many have asked me. How Do I Stay Sober Today? "We will not regret the past, nor wish the shut the door on it" This quote I live by everyday, everyday in my sober life for the past 11 months I have reflected on how I became such a mess last year when I kept drinking. I like to remind myself where it leads me afterwards. There were so many instances were I didn't know where I was half the time, waking up in strangers homes only to be asked to leave the next morning because they couldnt remember who I was too was very scary. Alot of crazy things happened during those times last year. I thought id be safe with drinking in my own rented room last year but that wasn't the answer. I got into a huge fight with my landlord who also had a drinking problem and one of our male room mates confronted me and knocked me out when I tried to fight him.

I stay sober today because my life was unmanageable last year, I couldn't stop drinking, I didn't give a crapp about anyone, all I cared for was where my next drink was going to be. As I think back even now I can't believe how different I was then. I wasn't the person I am today back then. I was cruel, destructive and outright nasty. I either reeked of booze or bad odor from not showering for days because I was too busy drinking and didn't realize how many days passed..

I remind myself these things today and ever since I smartened up I even was given the chance of meeting a beautiful girl whom I say I am very in love with. She accepts my alcoholism, she doesn't drink herself, she heard me speak my story for the first time a week ago today and it moved her when I mentioned to everyone in the room how happy she was making me and how I never ever want to turn to drinking again because I know I'd lose her that way and lose myself from drowning in alcohol. I stay sober by thanking my higher power for this last chance because I know deep down... if I pick one more drink up... it'll be over and I'll die from over indulging in alcohol... I almost went on a 5 day binge but the final day I couldnt keep it in my system, everytime it went in... it came right back out and I'd try over and over and my innards were burning like fire.

My girlfriend today loves the person she's with because he... I of course... is the real me. Not the drunk me. Today I love my life and wished I appreciated a little more then I use to. But things are meant to happen. The choices we make yesterday are the reasons why we are who we are today. If I decided to move out of there before I started I wouldnt be the same man I am today, many other ways would made me someone else. My girlfriend and I always tickle the matter what if I still lived in the same small town as her... because my house was actually only a 3min walk from her home! I was very close by her but so far away in my mind and 2011... I wasn't ready for a relationship.... sure we have our hard days... but I pick the sober hard days over waking up being sick and hungover and needing to tell your family what you did and getting that 24 hour chip once again. next month I will be 12 months sober! For the first time ever! I've only ever managed 9 months first time I joined AA back when I was 24. Sober time got less and less until I had enough last year and finally surrendered myself and admitted my defeat with really admitting my out of control drinking. I had enough. One day at a time... I do not pick up that drink. Only one 24 hour is all I need to remain sober. I dont think of yesterday or tomorrow... only today and I live in peace.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:27 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I go to AA, work my steps, work with my sponsor and I co-create with Nature through a book called M.A.P - Medical Assistance Program. It is a way to connect with Nature and have nature heal me. I never feel alone now, They help me to see exactly what is going on with me, They help in all ways possible.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Princess you are right that the damage alcohol does to us alcoholics and our families is impossible to justify. I am not religious as I don't have the capacity to believe in a supreme being, but it appears that this capacity brings many joy and happiness.

I find peace and joy, especially joy, in living each moment of my life as if it's the only moment in my life. Living in the moment is not a cliche, it's a powerful technique that has transformed my life. It all started for me with a book called The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle but there are countless other ways. Best wishes to you in your journey.

Natalie
Old 07-22-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Theo thank you for sharing your inspiring story. I wish you the best on your journey.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:09 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

By remembering very clearly and in great detail how I felt when I relapsed 8 weeks ago. Only one night but it was my darkest hour. I am NEVER going back there.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I work the steps of AA, so far so good, I'm infinitely happier than I've ever been. I feel for you Princess, everyone deserves some joy in life. Is there a therapist or somebody you can talk with? Not sure if this is the case for you, but for me most of my unhappiness came from not dealing with my life, past and present.

All the best to you, glad you're here!!
Old 07-22-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I just dont put myself around it and I try to keep myself busy so I dont think about drinking.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:14 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

How do I stay sober? I go to AA, I spend a fair amount of time on here. I write. And then life throws a wrench into the machinery and it all goes pear shaped.
If I drink, I will black out. Fortunately the last time I was at home, so all I had to worry about what I'd said to who on the phone.
Will this be the time that I put the bottle down for good? I thought so last time.
And yes, I will be making a lot more effort to get a sponsor today. I need to do that. I need to work the steps.