SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   relaps :( (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/262972-relaps.html)

dawnie24 07-19-2012 05:08 PM

relaps :(

why why why? yet again drank but now im drinking im drinking cider with juice.
i tried getting an appointment the docs said no but even if i have to walk to the aa on mon i will even tho i have anxiety...

south park at mine talkin bout alcolics what a bloody time eh :( stans dad is an alcoholic

Dee74 07-19-2012 05:18 PM

Maybe you need a different Dr, Dawnie - I've never had one refuse me an appointment...ever.

Staying sober takes a lot of work...I really encourage you to keep looking for support...and when you find some, use it - don't wait.

this hotline might be a good place to start

The National Alcohol Helpline-UK - Tel: 0800 917 8282 Offers help to callers worried about their own drinking; support to the family and friends of people who are drinking; advice to callers on where to go for help.
and stop drinking dawnie - have a few glasses of water and hit the sack.

You'll probably save yourself a lot of trouble tonight and certainly a lot of remorse tomorrow.

D

Justfor1 07-19-2012 05:40 PM

You need to seek a professional. South Park the tv cartoon show? I didn't know you guys get that show across the pond.

MyTimeNow 07-20-2012 01:02 AM

Dawnie, I've been following your recent posts and I feel really sad for you.

I know you were trying to make an appointment at the same time as your child's check up, if that wasn't possible (which wouldn't be around here!) Then get the next available appointment they do have. You start work on yourself whilst you wait. Start now.

I hope you managed to stop drinking and get to bed so you don't feel too bad today.

Get that appointment booked this morning. I just found this for you Manchester Community Alcohol Team (it's the Manchester NHS community alcohol team) ask for a referral if the doctor doesn't suggest it.

Best of luck, let us know when you have made those calls :)

Justfor1 yes South Park over here, I think Chef even had a number one record a few years ago! :/

neferkamichael 07-20-2012 01:50 AM

If you can dawnie find a "women only" AA meeting, you might feel a little less anxious about going, but ifya ca't go anyway. You'll be alright. :egypt:

Zee 07-20-2012 02:16 AM

dawnie, I can only suggest that you try phoning around for different doctors. Manchester is a pretty big place. You don't have to have the same doctor as your kids. I live in a smallish town and I have about 4 that I could choose from within a 10 minute bus ride if I chose. I do however have one doctor, which is NHS, who I have had for many years. The surgery is very busy (especially since the mass Eastern European migration in the last few years) but, if I am ill, I can get a same day appointment, or a home visit if I couldn't get out of the house. I would say that it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that the doctor would not see you within a day or two. There is also the Sea-Doc service, which is an out of hours doctor who can visit you (this number can usually be found if you call your doctors out of hours... they will give you the number via the answerphone) this (and 999) are for emergencies. NHS direct is useful too, its 24 hours. They generally take your details, put you on a list and a nurse calls you back within a hour or so.

I called 999 years ago when I was drinking and having an anxiety attack (my boyfriend at the time was asleep in bed), unfortunately for me, I passed out on the sofa before they arrived, didn't hear them knocking, so they smashed the door in! Much embarrasement and a new front door! They don't muck about!

When you took your children to the doctors, did you make an appointment for yourself? Or was an appointment given, but not soon enough for you? Hang in there hun. Make the appt and wait for it.

dawnie24 07-20-2012 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 3496469)
Maybe you need a different Dr, Dawnie - I've never had one refuse me an appointment...ever.

Staying sober takes a lot of work...I really encourage you to keep looking for support...and when you find some, use it - don't wait.

this hotline might be a good place to start

and stop drinking dawnie - have a few glasses of water and hit the sack.

You'll probably save yourself a lot of trouble tonight and certainly a lot of remorse tomorrow.

D

Rang docs again still cant. Get appointment

Zee 07-20-2012 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by MyTimeNow (Post 3496928)
Justfor1 yes South Park over here, I think Chef even had a number one record a few years ago! :/

It was about Chocolate Balls wasn't it?
I love South Park.... Cartman > "Screw you guys... I'm going home" hahahaa

MyTimeNow 07-20-2012 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by dawnie24 (Post 3496952)
Rang docs again still cant. Get appointment

No appointment at all? I don't understand why Dawnie. Did they give a reason as to why? Sometimes you need to push them, ask for a different doctor, ask when next available one is.

Originally Posted by Zee (Post 3496955)

Just googled - Chocolate Salty Balls. I was 12! I didn't realise how rude it was. Shocked lol.

heath480 07-20-2012 03:27 AM

dawnie call the AA helpline number I gave you the other day.

Here it is again Manchester 0161 839 2881 manned 11.00-23.00.

There is no waiting list for AA.

Plenty of good advice from Zee about seeking medical help.

Please do something today dawnie.

justhadenough 07-20-2012 03:30 AM

maybe go to AA.not sure exactly what your GP will do anyway other than refer to AA. Unless you have private medical insurance and can go into rehab. try another doc or your local hospital will have a walk in centre

I know many people have suggested AA and given you links/numbers etc over the last few months but you don't seem to want to go, and keep posting about continuing to drink.You have to want to do this Dawnie and take the first step,not keep making excuses

SSIL75 07-20-2012 04:15 AM

Dawn things just don't add up with your posts. For months now you can't find AA... don't know where it is.. can't get an appointment etc. You have child services breathing down your neck (or so you say). You are going to lose your children and then what? Think that'll push you to quit drinking? Or think you'll get worse without the responsibility?

This is not a rehearsal. Trust me. I'm an alcoholic with children the same ages as yours. In sobriety now I swear my heart skips a beat when I think of how close I was to losing them.

This morning we sit here eating breakfast and watching cartoons. Getting dressed soon and off to the car dealership for a repair. We'll eat something while we're out and hit the park on the way home. This is normal life. Not my freaking heart stopping when a car pulls up thinking it's CPS coming to find me, ********* with 3 kids under 5.

You have GOT to get a grip. Children have been taken for less than yours endure (and mine endured).

AA CAN'T wait until Monday. You CAN'T accept 'no' from the doctor for your appointment. Go to the ER if you need to.

God bless.

MetalChick 07-20-2012 05:42 AM

SSIL75, Great post

I watched an episode of intervention wherein a lady's kid was taken away and she still kept on drinking. It seems like most people have a breaking point/rock bottom, and other never seem to get there until it is too late; something horrible event happens in life or they die. My pop died when I was 18 due to complications from drugs and alcohol. That is as rock bottom as you can get.

I am so glad you are sober and can be the parent your kids need. That is awesome!

Dawnie,

You know you need to get help and not just talk about it, right?
I am pulling for you. It seems to me that you may need more then a doc appointment or AA, it sounds like you need inpatient care and then sober living type of arrangement after that. Just something to think about. I am in the USA, so I don't know how to go about getting that in the UK, but I am sure these numbers that the members are giving you are a good start.

Please keep us posted, and take care

MalkavianEmily 07-20-2012 05:58 AM

I hate to say it, but from my experience doctors over here are pretty damn useless, and I'm told that's not unusual. Even the local alcohol advice service isn't necessarily any good.

But there's no waiting list for AA.
I don't know how much you drink dawnie. I don't know exactly what you need. But you need to do something. Getting to AA will be a good start. As soon as you can. I know there's meetings every day in Nottingham. I'm sure there are in Manchester as well.
Be strong dawnie. We're here for you. But we can't get sober for you.

dawnie24 07-20-2012 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Zee (Post 3496955)

Lol cartman is well funny

dawnie24 07-20-2012 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by MyTimeNow (Post 3497002)
No appointment at all? I don't understand why Dawnie. Did they give a reason as to why? Sometimes you need to push them, ask for a different doctor, ask when next available one is.

Just googled - Chocolate Salty Balls. I was 12! I didn't realise how rude it was. Shocked lol.

They were fully booked and told me to ring back next week does my head right in

dawnie24 07-20-2012 12:16 PM

Ive found aa meetings which I will attend obv not tonight wiill be monday then im gunna tell docs straight that I want an appointment otherwise I wanna see there manager.... I cant go a n e cpz they wont help ive already tried they told me to see gp

MyTimeNow 07-20-2012 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by MalkavianEmily (Post 3497140)
I hate to say it, but from my experience doctors over here are pretty damn useless, and I'm told that's not unusual. Even the local alcohol advice service isn't necessarily any good.

I don't know, just last week an old Uni friend of mine was given a home detox after seeing her GP. She had to have somebody with her and a nurse from her local alcohol team was checking her everyday. She has to go to their group counselling now. I don't know all the ins and outs, but she was turned away from A&E and told to sleep it off, but she got taken to an out of hours surgery that evening not being able to breathe with panic, shakes etc and they demanded treatment. She got it.

This was in Nottingham, but I imagine the same could be done elsewhere. I definitely don't think Dawnie should give up on the health services and their follow up programs on the basis of a couple of bad experiences. Both my last 2 doctors have been excellent with my anxiety, depression, self harm etc I imagine if I'd opened up about the alcohol they would have been excellent with that too. You may have to put your foot down and demand it sometimes, but that doesn't mean to say you can't get it.

SSIL75 07-20-2012 01:08 PM

You'be mentioned a social worker monitoring your family before. Can she connect you with these 'alcohol teams' I hear some English people mention?

PaperDolls 07-20-2012 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by SSIL75 (Post 3497038)
Dawn things just don't add up with your posts. For months now you can't find AA... don't know where it is.. can't get an appointment etc. You have child services breathing down your neck (or so you say). You are going to lose your children and then what? Think that'll push you to quit drinking? Or think you'll get worse without the responsibility?

This is not a rehearsal. Trust me. I'm an alcoholic with children the same ages as yours. In sobriety now I swear my heart skips a beat when I think of how close I was to losing them.

This morning we sit here eating breakfast and watching cartoons. Getting dressed soon and off to the car dealership for a repair. We'll eat something while we're out and hit the park on the way home. This is normal life. Not my freaking heart stopping when a car pulls up thinking it's CPS coming to find me, ********* with 3 kids under 5.

You have GOT to get a grip. Children have been taken for less than yours endure (and mine endured).

AA CAN'T wait until Monday. You CAN'T accept 'no' from the doctor for your appointment. Go to the ER if you need to.

God bless.